Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-17-2020, 12:56 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-17-2020 12:38 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-16-2020 08:06 PM)filmgeek47 Wrote:  Hey guys. Wondering if it's possible to use CRU to specify an output bit depth setting as well as a custom resolution? Having issues with my Nvidia card on an older driver (which I need for 3D support), where the bit depth setting resets every time I reboot.
You can't specify a bit depth for individual resolutions.

To clarify, I don't need to set it for a SPECIFIC res. I just need it to default to the highest possible setting (i.e. 12bit at 24hz 4k, 8bit at 60hz 4k etc). Is that possible? if not, is it a feature that could be added at some point? This has apparently been an on-off problem with Nvidia driver releases for some time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2020, 02:54 AM
gtx1660ti
16 gb ram
120hz panel with 15.6 inches
and ssd 512
its impossibile to set a custom or any other hertz to this laptop or to other 14 other laptops which has intel gpu and nivida gpu. this app is broken or dead? or its just a luck i cant make any hertz? the alt methood does not work, it wont make any result, the normal way ( using the exe cru app ) then restart wont add values to the hz poll in the settings.

i can not change the refresh rate what so ever i do.

i tried this steps but not work:

on windows 8.1 installed the latest driver and tried to change from control panel of intel but it show that it exceeds maximum bandwith i tried on all resoultion i tried to underclock the refresh rate to 58 or 59 not worked i tried everything it can not add any new values.
i tried CRU added new values and clicked on restart 64 and restarted my laptop but the values are not in the control panel or not in the contorl panel of windows nor in the list all modes option.
i tried to overclock the other montiors on the CRU (the not active monitors) same thing. i tried on older versions of the driver same thing. i tried new apps same thing.

and for windows 10 i tried all the steps above but the same thing.

and my gt730M has no refresh rate or custom resoltions option it has only 2 options.

not giving a detailed post u guys keep rumbbling about that i might missed something which is false
giving detailed post u guys ignore me, in both siutaions u guys are so rude.
07-17-2020, 01:27 PM
(07-17-2020 12:56 AM)filmgeek47 Wrote:  To clarify, I don't need to set it for a SPECIFIC res. I just need it to default to the highest possible setting (i.e. 12bit at 24hz 4k, 8bit at 60hz 4k etc). Is that possible? if not, is it a feature that could be added at some point? This has apparently been an on-off problem with Nvidia driver releases for some time.
The EDID doesn't control what the bit depth defaults to. That's up to the driver.
07-17-2020, 07:47 PM
Hi all, I'm having some trouble!

Long story short, new DisplayPort monitor keeps being disconnected from the system when it goes into standby, and I wanted to override the EDID so Windows just thinks it is always connected and I can always render out to it (so it stops messing up my windows/icons constantly!!!)

I could honestly use some help on how to do that in the first place, but my first hiccup is as follows.

It's a Samsung Odysssey G9 (5120x1440)
Every time I try to enter 5120 into the resolution box it shows in red and doesn't let me save it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-17-2020, 09:00 PM
(07-17-2020 07:47 PM)CorneliousJD Wrote:  Hi all, I'm having some trouble!

Long story short, new DisplayPort monitor keeps being disconnected from the system when it goes into standby, and I wanted to override the EDID so Windows just thinks it is always connected and I can always render out to it (so it stops messing up my windows/icons constantly!!!)

I could honestly use some help on how to do that in the first place, but my first hiccup is as follows.

It's a Samsung Odysssey G9 (5120x1440)
Every time I try to enter 5120 into the resolution box it shows in red and doesn't let me save it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Overriding the EDID will not make Windows think it is connected. I don't see the point of adding a resolution that already exists.
07-17-2020, 09:19 PM (Last edited: 07-17-2020, 09:20 PM by CorneliousJD)
(07-17-2020 09:00 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Overriding the EDID will not make Windows think it is connected. I don't see the point of adding a resolution that already exists.

So my limited understanding of this is that the reason this error with the windows keeps happening where they dont get restored where they should be is becuase Windows isn't detecting the EDID properly as it wakes the monitor up, or not fast enough or something? Overriding it seems to fix the problem?

There's a LOT of posts/threads/discussons on other websites that all link back to this utility to help fix the problem.

Here's one that explains it better than most places.

https://superuser.com/questions/982633/g...41#1027641

And here's one where people say that it fixed the problem for them too

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...em-topolo/

Was hoping to do the same but it wont let me add my resoultion in, and 5120x1440 isn't even listed as a detailed resolution in CRU for some reason when I open it, yet it's my active, native, and recommended resolution?
07-17-2020, 11:23 PM
(07-17-2020 09:19 PM)CorneliousJD Wrote:  So my limited understanding of this is that the reason this error with the windows keeps happening where they dont get restored where they should be is becuase Windows isn't detecting the EDID properly as it wakes the monitor up, or not fast enough or something? Overriding it seems to fix the problem?

There's a LOT of posts/threads/discussons on other websites that all link back to this utility to help fix the problem.

Here's one that explains it better than most places.

https://superuser.com/questions/982633/g...41#1027641

And here's one where people say that it fixed the problem for them too

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...em-topolo/

Was hoping to do the same but it wont let me add my resoultion in, and 5120x1440 isn't even listed as a detailed resolution in CRU for some reason when I open it, yet it's my active, native, and recommended resolution?
5120x1440 is in the DisplayID extension block. There's no point in adding a resolution that already exists. I have no idea why people are recommending CRU for this. CRU can't fix this problem. The problem is the monitor is disconnecting, so Windows moves the windows to another monitor and resizes them to fit, and if another monitor isn't available, it uses a simulated one. The fix is to make sure the simulated monitor has the correct resolution. Running reset-all.exe and rebooting might be enough to do that. If not, you'll have to edit the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuratio​n and make sure all the ActiveSize.cx/cy and PrimSurfSize.cx/cy entries have the correct resolution.
07-17-2020, 11:29 PM
(07-17-2020 02:54 AM)4700mq Wrote:  not giving a detailed post u guys keep rumbbling about that i might missed something which is false
giving detailed post u guys ignore me, in both siutaions u guys are so rude.
What's rude is you keep posting over and over when I told you what the problem is. CRU creates EDID overrides. It's up to Intel's driver to implement EDID overrides. Why do you keep bugging me about a problem that I can't do anything about? You should be bugging Intel, but they won't do anything for an old GPU. CRU works fine with AMD and NVIDIA. Intel support is spotty depending on the driver. If the driver listed in the first post doesn't work, then there's nothing you can do. There's no way to bypass the Intel GPU.
07-18-2020, 07:12 AM
(07-16-2020 01:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-16-2020 07:07 AM)maftul Wrote:  I am trying to get 4K DSR working on my new 2K 144 monitor but all my games see are these phantom resolutions and refresh rates. I don't understand why there even is a 4k resolution in Nvidia's list of resolutions when my monitor does not support such resolution by default. For the record, the monitor model is Lenovo Legion Y27q-20. I have already tried removing all the TV resolutions in the CEA-861 extension block shown with CRU but it made no difference.
4K should not exist if you remove it from CRU. Export what you have into a file and post it here.

I exported the monitor config using CRU and have attached the bin file. Would appreciate it if you could take a look.

Attached File(s)
.bin  cru.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 258)
07-18-2020, 07:54 AM (Last edited: 07-18-2020, 07:55 AM by Otzl)
Hi everyone, how do I make DisplayID detailed resolutions active? I've created a custom 120Hz resolution with a large vertical total for my Viewsonic XG270, but this is only possible with DisplayID. I also have an AMD card, so I cannot use the Nvidia Control Panel like in this guide: forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6478

Thanks in advance!