Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-18-2020, 08:58 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-18-2020 02:41 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-18-2020 07:54 AM)Otzl Wrote:  Hi everyone, how do I make DisplayID detailed resolutions active? I've created a custom 120Hz resolution with a large vertical total for my Viewsonic XG270, but this is only possible with DisplayID. I also have an AMD card, so I cannot use the Nvidia Control Panel like in this guide: forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6478
What do you mean by make active?

Thank you for your reply.

I successfully created the resolution I need under DisplayID, with a large Vertical Front Porch Total of 1080, which isn't possible with CEA-861. Even if I remove the CEA-861 block, the DisplayID resolution I want doesn't show up in Windows. How do I use it? Hope this makes more sense. Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2020, 01:34 AM
(07-18-2020 08:58 PM)Otzl Wrote:  I successfully created the resolution I need under DisplayID, with a large Vertical Front Porch Total of 1080, which isn't possible with CEA-861. Even if I remove the CEA-861 block, the DisplayID resolution I want doesn't show up in Windows. How do I use it? Hope this makes more sense. Thanks in advance.
It should show up unless the driver is ignoring it. If it's not a pixel clock limit, maybe it doesn't like a large vertical front porch. Try the back porch instead.
07-19-2020, 02:48 PM (Last edited: 07-19-2020, 02:51 PM by wild0077)
Hello there, everyone.

I own an LG 29WK600 (29" UWD 2560x1080 75Hz "HDR"), and am currently using it with an RTX2080S through DisplayPort (1.2 I believe, GPU-Z shows 5,4Gbps). Some time ago I was experimenting with nVidia custom resolution, typed in 3440x1440 just for the kicks and for my surprise it "worked", I mean, the image came right up, stuff on the screen were smaller, and no glitches that I could see. Typed in 3840x1600, and it also worked, same way described before, both at 75Hz. For some reason the image became a lot darker when using custom resolutions through nvidia panel, but at least I knew it might be possible.

After that, I decided to try CRU and see if I could create new resolutions properly, and I could, this time I went only for 3840x1600 75Hz, everything worked fine, the OSD from the monitor itself showed that resolution. However, from time to time the screen goes black for like 1 second, and than comes back. Happens at 3440x1440 75Hz as well, everything seems to work beautifully, and then out of the blue screen flashes black and comes back.

Naturally I tried lowering refresh rate, and both resolutions work flawlessly at 60Hz, no flashes at all, but since the monitor is rated 75Hz, I was hoping to actually be able to use those resolutions at the "desired" refresh rate.

What I would like to know, please, is if there is any possibility that the "flashing behavior" is something that can be solved by messing around with the settings on CRU? Or it sure means that the monitor simply cannot handle 75Hz at those resolutions?

I'll attach a few images from my current settings, I've been messing around with timings for a while now, with no luck, but the weird thing for me is that the flashing has no pattern at all, sometimes it occurs watching videos, sometimes does not, sometimes I can play a game for almost an hour without any issue, sometimes it's just impossible. I lowered the FreeSync range from 40-75 to 48-75, to see if it could help, but no deal. Also, since I could not find something specific about my case when searching for clues, I've added HDMI and HDMI 2.0 blocks, but I have no idea if it makes any difference or not in this scenario.

Thank you in advance.

07-19-2020, 04:21 PM
(07-19-2020 02:48 PM)wild0077 Wrote:  I own an LG 29WK600 (29" UWD 2560x1080 75Hz "HDR"), and am currently using it with an RTX2080S through DisplayPort (1.2 I believe, GPU-Z shows 5,4Gbps). Some time ago I was experimenting with nVidia custom resolution, typed in 3440x1440 just for the kicks and for my surprise it "worked", I mean, the image came right up, stuff on the screen were smaller, and no glitches that I could see. Typed in 3840x1600, and it also worked, same way described before, both at 75Hz. For some reason the image became a lot darker when using custom resolutions through nvidia panel, but at least I knew it might be possible.

After that, I decided to try CRU and see if I could create new resolutions properly, and I could, this time I went only for 3840x1600 75Hz, everything worked fine, the OSD from the monitor itself showed that resolution. However, from time to time the screen goes black for like 1 second, and than comes back. Happens at 3440x1440 75Hz as well, everything seems to work beautifully, and then out of the blue screen flashes black and comes back.

Naturally I tried lowering refresh rate, and both resolutions work flawlessly at 60Hz, no flashes at all, but since the monitor is rated 75Hz, I was hoping to actually be able to use those resolutions at the "desired" refresh rate.

What I would like to know, please, is if there is any possibility that the "flashing behavior" is something that can be solved by messing around with the settings on CRU? Or it sure means that the monitor simply cannot handle 75Hz at those resolutions?
With the NVIDIA control panel, did you change the active pixels or was it a scaled resolution? CRU doesn't create scaled resolutions. The blacking out sounds like a signal quality problem, or the monitor can't handle the resolution. I don't recommend using "LCD reduced" with higher resolutions. You might need to increase the vertical total for the monitor to handle it correctly.
07-19-2020, 04:52 PM
(07-19-2020 04:21 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-19-2020 02:48 PM)wild0077 Wrote:  I own an LG 29WK600 (29" UWD 2560x1080 75Hz "HDR"), and am currently using it with an RTX2080S through DisplayPort (1.2 I believe, GPU-Z shows 5,4Gbps). Some time ago I was experimenting with nVidia custom resolution, typed in 3440x1440 just for the kicks and for my surprise it "worked", I mean, the image came right up, stuff on the screen were smaller, and no glitches that I could see. Typed in 3840x1600, and it also worked, same way described before, both at 75Hz. For some reason the image became a lot darker when using custom resolutions through nvidia panel, but at least I knew it might be possible.

With the NVIDIA control panel, did you change the active pixels or was it a scaled resolution? CRU doesn't create scaled resolutions. The blacking out sounds like a signal quality problem, or the monitor can't handle the resolution. I don't recommend using "LCD reduced" with higher resolutions. You might need to increase the vertical total for the monitor to handle it correctly.

Thank you for your answer.

I did noticed that active pixels part, the first time I tried the custom resolution with nvidia panel I saw that it showed 3840x1600 and active pixels still was 2560x1080, so the next time I made sure that it actually was showing 3840x1600. Creating it through CRU actually works, I just have this flashing issue at 75Hz, but 60Hz works like a charm, both resolutions (3440x1440 and 3840x1600). I've used 3440x1440 60Hz for a while before, but once you come back to 75Hz it's a little difficult to let go xD, especially because of the GSync compatibility, albeit not perfect, it does the job when the fps is hovering around 65 - 75.

I did not know that about the "LCD Reduced", back in the day when I first had contact with CRU I was pixel clock limited through DVI Single Link, so I'm kinda used to try and shave off those few MHz from it anyway I can xD. Thank you for your input, I will try using LCD Standard and Native to see if things improve.

Also, I have a question regarding the Ranges, more specifically the Horizontal Range. It comes factory 30-90KHz, but doing the math (1600*75=120 000 so 120KHz) should I edit that bit like I did in the pics? Or it won't matter at all?

Once again, thank you.
07-19-2020, 06:20 PM
(07-19-2020 04:52 PM)wild0077 Wrote:  Also, I have a question regarding the Ranges, more specifically the Horizontal Range. It comes factory 30-90KHz, but doing the math (1600*75=120 000 so 120KHz) should I edit that bit like I did in the pics? Or it won't matter at all?
I don't think that information is used. Normally the horizontal min and max are the same with FreeSync enabled.
07-20-2020, 01:54 AM
(07-17-2020 11:23 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  5120x1440 is in the DisplayID extension block. There's no point in adding a resolution that already exists. I have no idea why people are recommending CRU for this. CRU can't fix this problem. The problem is the monitor is disconnecting, so Windows moves the windows to another monitor and resizes them to fit, and if another monitor isn't available, it uses a simulated one. The fix is to make sure the simulated monitor has the correct resolution. Running reset-all.exe and rebooting might be enough to do that. If not, you'll have to edit the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuratio​n and make sure all the ActiveSize.cx/cy and PrimSurfSize.cx/cy entries have the correct resolution.

Doesn't this force overrides of EDIDs on monitors with the information you're plugging into CRU? I think the key is the overriding of the EDID in this case from my limited knowledge on the subject. NVIDIA Quadro cards allow you to manually override the EDID pretty easily via the GUI but users with GeForce cards have been looking for a solution and I've seen CRU mentioned countless times for fixes to this problem I've been having.

Also, I've checked there before ever going down the EDID/CRU path, and I have no simulated monitors there at all, because I actually have a 2nd monitor connected that's a different resolution, so when it moves everything to that, it wreaks havoc on my window layout.

Also, in my DisplayID Extension Block there's nothing present, no data blocks there.

I understand CRU wasn't designed to fix this problem but others have had success in using it to fix the issue so I figured I'd give it a shot. I've exhausted just about every other option.
Having to re-arrange 20+ windows every time I walk away for 15 minutes is becoming extremely cumbersome to me unfortuantely. Was willing to go down the CRU path to see if I could fix it this way like others have.
07-20-2020, 01:01 PM
(07-20-2020 01:54 AM)CorneliousJD Wrote:  Doesn't this force overrides of EDIDs on monitors with the information you're plugging into CRU? I think the key is the overriding of the EDID in this case from my limited knowledge on the subject. NVIDIA Quadro cards allow you to manually override the EDID pretty easily via the GUI but users with GeForce cards have been looking for a solution and I've seen CRU mentioned countless times for fixes to this problem I've been having.
EDID overrides do nothing when the monitor is not connected. CRU does not emulate monitors. Quadro has a feature that can emulate a monitor even if it's not connected.

(07-20-2020 01:54 AM)CorneliousJD Wrote:  Also, I've checked there before ever going down the EDID/CRU path, and I have no simulated monitors there at all, because I actually have a 2nd monitor connected that's a different resolution, so when it moves everything to that, it wreaks havoc on my window layout.
It might not be called simulated, but there should be some entries that start with MS.

(07-20-2020 01:54 AM)CorneliousJD Wrote:  Also, in my DisplayID Extension Block there's nothing present, no data blocks there.
Add a detailed resolutions data block.
07-20-2020, 07:02 PM
(07-20-2020 01:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 01:54 AM)CorneliousJD Wrote:  Doesn't this force overrides of EDIDs on monitors with the information you're plugging into CRU? I think the key is the overriding of the EDID in this case from my limited knowledge on the subject. NVIDIA Quadro cards allow you to manually override the EDID pretty easily via the GUI but users with GeForce cards have been looking for a solution and I've seen CRU mentioned countless times for fixes to this problem I've been having.
EDID overrides do nothing when the monitor is not connected. CRU does not emulate monitors. Quadro has a feature that can emulate a monitor even if it's not connected.

(07-20-2020 01:54 AM)CorneliousJD Wrote:  Also, I've checked there before ever going down the EDID/CRU path, and I have no simulated monitors there at all, because I actually have a 2nd monitor connected that's a different resolution, so when it moves everything to that, it wreaks havoc on my window layout.
It might not be called simulated, but there should be some entries that start with MS.

(07-20-2020 01:54 AM)CorneliousJD Wrote:  Also, in my DisplayID Extension Block there's nothing present, no data blocks there.
Add a detailed resolutions data block.

Just adding my findings here incase someone else stumbles across this.

I kept messing with this a lot more and I also cannot get CRU to fix this issue (as expected once you let me know it wouldn't, I just wanted to give it a try still!

Since it doesn't simulate or emulate monitors that aren't connected, the ovverrides don't do anything when the monitor eventually goes into sleep mode again.

I DO have a moniotor that starts with "MS" in the registry where you mentioned, but its resolution was already also set to 5120x1440 for PrimSurfSize cx and cy , so no luck there.

Adding the DetailedID extension block setup didn't change anything here for me either in the long run.

Not looking for more help, just documenting what I found for others incase they come here looking later. Smile

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.
07-23-2020, 03:21 AM (Last edited: 07-23-2020, 03:23 AM by dan1)
Hi ToastyX,

I have a LG C9 and a 2080ti with a Club3d CAC-1085adapter, it allows displayport 1.4 with dsc1.2 to hdmi2.1 connection, for 4k120hz RGB + hdr.

I can obtain 4k@120hz RGB with HDR fine, but once i reset the pc, windows loads up with HDR washed out, until i set the resolution to 60hz and back to 120hz at which point HDR will fire back up.

Link to adapter specs: https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2496/d...apter_m-f/

This is happening to everyone with this setup.

Any clue as what is happening?

Here is the AVS forum thread on the C9 oled: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-t...pc-48.html

also the Hardfourm thread: https://hardforum.com/threads/lg-48cx.1991077/page-51

Also YCbRc444 is no longer showing up under nvcpanel.

What determines the colour range able to be selected? does CRU have any colour range settings? like custom resolution/colour depth?

is this a hdmi vs displayport issue?

Also some resolutions/colour depths i select bring up strange artifact lines scrolling down the screen.

I don't know how to explain it properly, i wish someone could buy you the setup, so you could play around with this new cutting edge toy.

Do you have any suggested resolutions settings in CRU?