Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-10-2020, 01:04 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(09-10-2020 12:54 PM)myhrmans Wrote:  Aha. So the custom resolutions set by NVIDIA Control panel are not set using EDID?
Or are they set in a similar manner as CRU but converted to match the EDID Standard?
The EDID is defined by the monitor. CRU creates EDID overrides. DisplayID is a newer standard designed to replace EDID, but it can also be used as an EDID extension block. NVIDIA control panel custom resolutions are set using a driver-specific method unrelated to the EDID.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2020, 06:15 AM (Last edited: 09-14-2020, 06:18 AM by Poozy)
Ive been trying to use CRU to change my native res to something else. Ive ran into issues where I cant change my adaptive signal resolution, and whenever I try to switch to the res either through windows or Nevida, the screen flashes goes black comes back and the res reverts itself or nothing comes back and I have to restart. The only way I got the active signal res to work was setting standard resolutions to 1920X1080 but it never changed to anything after the same issue. My monitor is a Viewsonic xg270qg 2560X1440 I also turned off g sync and reinstalled my monitor graphics etc....

[quote='Poozy' pid='10883' dateline='1600064118']
Ive been trying to use CRU to change my native res to something else. Ive ran into issues where I cant change my adaptive signal resolution, and whenever I try to switch to the res either through windows or Nevida, the screen flashes goes black comes back and the res reverts itself or nothing comes back and I have to restart. The only way I got the active signal res to work was setting standard resolutions to 1920X1080 but it never changed to anything after the same issue. My monitor is a Viewsonic xg270qg 2560X1440 I also turned off g sync and reinstalled my monitor graphics etc....
(Also I don't see any data blocks in extension blocks under detailed resolutions after I delete the unwanted resolutions thers nothing in comparison the other people that I saw this program work for). Thx Smile
09-14-2020, 03:20 PM (Last edited: 09-14-2020, 07:27 PM by clang873)
I used CRU with my monitor, an LG Ultrafine 5K with Macbook Pro 16 with 5600m.
After adding a 62Hz setting for my external monitor for initial testing, I set the resolution to the new resolution (3200x1800) but couldn't actually set the higher hertz in Windows display settings. The mbp was in clamshell mode the whole time and the internal display was not on, nor was it configured or changed.

Figured it didn't work, and ran reset. However, when I rebooted my computer, a third of my laptop display was heavily pixellated pink noise, and flickered like crazy. The issue didn't seem to affect the external monitor, and graphics benchmarks worked.

One day later, the pink noise went away, but the flickering remained. Now, the flickering is less noticeable, and I'm not sure if it's still there or not.

Did I corrupt the hardware?

What exactly would adding a 62Hz setting (for a 60Hz monitor) in CRU, but not being able to apply it, do to the computer?
09-14-2020, 06:34 PM
(09-10-2020 12:48 PM)zanac Wrote:  
(09-10-2020 12:37 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-10-2020 12:10 PM)zanac Wrote:  ok, for example here you are my Linux working modeline for 1920x240p (that is the other resolution that i use with another PC with an Intel video and Linux):
"MODE_1920_240" 37.778 1920 1977 2154 2376 240 243 245 265 -hsync -vsync

But the question is... if i will try to use qres with command line, for select a resolution that is not listed in Windows, maybe it will work?
You just subtract the next number for each parameter:
Code:
Active:      1920  240
Front porch: 57    3
Sync width:  177   2
Back porch:  222   20
Polarity:    -     -
When tested with AMD/ATI GPUs, QuickRes is able to set lower resolutions added with CRU that aren't listed in Windows.

oh, thanks, i fully understand.

regards,
I can confirm you that Intel board work with 240p resolution not listed... Qres use it! Good job!

Very cool!
09-15-2020, 12:01 AM
(09-14-2020 03:20 PM)clang873 Wrote:  I used CRU with my monitor, an LG Ultrafine 5K with Macbook Pro 16 with 5600m.
After adding a 62Hz setting for my external monitor for initial testing, I set the resolution to the new resolution (3200x1800) but couldn't actually set the higher hertz in Windows display settings. The mbp was in clamshell mode the whole time and the internal display was not on, nor was it configured or changed.

Figured it didn't work, and ran reset. However, when I rebooted my computer, a third of my laptop display was heavily pixellated pink noise, and flickered like crazy. The issue didn't seem to affect the external monitor, and graphics benchmarks worked.

One day later, the pink noise went away, but the flickering remained. Now, the flickering is less noticeable, and I'm not sure if it's still there or not.

Did I corrupt the hardware?

What exactly would adding a 62Hz setting (for a 60Hz monitor) in CRU, but not being able to apply it, do to the computer?
Editing the external monitor should not affect the internal display, and any changes shouldn't affect the internal display if it's not on. CRU doesn't change anything in the hardware, so I can't explain what happened. The flicker is not a problem and will go away. Some panels display residual flicker after displaying unusual patterns.
09-15-2020, 12:01 AM
(09-14-2020 06:15 AM)Poozy Wrote:  Ive been trying to use CRU to change my native res to something else. Ive ran into issues where I cant change my adaptive signal resolution, and whenever I try to switch to the res either through windows or Nevida, the screen flashes goes black comes back and the res reverts itself or nothing comes back and I have to restart. The only way I got the active signal res to work was setting standard resolutions to 1920X1080 but it never changed to anything after the same issue. My monitor is a Viewsonic xg270qg 2560X1440 I also turned off g sync and reinstalled my monitor graphics etc....
G-Sync monitors usually don't support non-native resolutions.
09-15-2020, 12:57 AM
(09-15-2020 12:01 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-14-2020 06:15 AM)Poozy Wrote:  Ive been trying to use CRU to change my native res to something else. Ive ran into issues where I cant change my adaptive signal resolution, and whenever I try to switch to the res either through windows or Nevida, the screen flashes goes black comes back and the res reverts itself or nothing comes back and I have to restart. The only way I got the active signal res to work was setting standard resolutions to 1920X1080 but it never changed to anything after the same issue. My monitor is a Viewsonic xg270qg 2560X1440 I also turned off g sync and reinstalled my monitor graphics etc....
G-Sync monitors usually don't support non-native resolutions.

for real that sucks is there any way around because some people have said they go it to work idk
09-15-2020, 01:48 AM
(09-15-2020 12:57 AM)Poozy Wrote:  for real that sucks is there any way around because some people have said they go it to work idk
Use GPU scaling, but that won't change the active resolution.
09-15-2020, 08:59 AM (Last edited: 09-15-2020, 09:00 AM by andro299)
I was able to fix an issue I was having using cru a while back but every time I boot, the display starts off black. Running restart fixes it, but is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Extra info:
- the display in question is a Dell 2412M connected via DVI-d
- graphics card is a Nvidia 1060 6GB (Gigabyte's version)
- 3 displays, 1 on integrated graphics, 2 on the graphics card

The issue it fixed (as i remember it, it was quite some time ago)
- the display wouldnt show up in the display settings but would in the device manager
- i connected it over VGA and it worked (resolutions were whack though)
- i saved the original settings just in case
- connected it the way it was before and applied the settings
09-16-2020, 02:21 AM (Last edited: 09-16-2020, 02:21 AM by ToastyX)
(09-15-2020 08:59 AM)andro299 Wrote:  I was able to fix an issue I was having using cru a while back but every time I boot, the display starts off black. Running restart fixes it, but is there a way to prevent this from happening?
If you have to run restart.exe after rebooting, then it's a driver bug. It sounds like something might be wrong with the EDID, which is probably triggering the issues. Try moving the monitor to the other GPU. You can use an HDMI-DVI adapter/cable if necessary.