Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-03-2020, 09:31 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I also opened a Windows Feedback Hub report: https://aka.ms/AA9uz1h
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2020, 01:27 PM (Last edited: 10-03-2020, 02:20 PM by heaae)
Another strange thing I noticed: when I use Reset64.exe to restore EDID override custom res (after closing/reopening the laptop lid)... then Brightness control stops working 'till I reboot Sad
[Image: image.png]

FINAL WORKAROUND (ATM)

When they disappeared, I just ignored CRU or Reset64.exe and just re-created those custom resolutions under NVidia Control Panel directly.
They work stable, even after laptop lid close/re-open and also Brightness change always work, so the problem is "solved" in practical even though doubts and bizarre behavior of NVCP+CRU+Windows on lid close/reopen still remained... but it works fine at least and I have not to worry how I turn off my PC anymore Confused
10-03-2020, 06:21 PM
Hi, just wanted to ask how do i go about adding a 4k 96hz refresh(for 10 bit maximum bandwidth limited monitor), i tried but the refresh rate is in red and ok button greyed out, any special instructions and are there any consequences for this such as hardware damage or instability?
thanks!
10-04-2020, 01:01 AM
(10-03-2020 06:21 PM)er557 Wrote:  Hi, just wanted to ask how do i go about adding a 4k 96hz refresh(for 10 bit maximum bandwidth limited monitor), i tried but the refresh rate is in red and ok button greyed out, any special instructions and are there any consequences for this such as hardware damage or instability?
thanks!
Add a DisplayID extension block and add a detailed resolutions data block in there. The risk of damage is low. Chances are the monitor will not accept 96 Hz unless you have a 4K 120 Hz monitor, or the graphics driver will reject it because of bandwidth limitations. Digital monitors usually can't be damaged by custom resolutions unless there's a design flaw.
10-05-2020, 04:55 PM
I will try it, thanks!
10-07-2020, 04:11 PM
Apologize if this has been asked/answered, but I'm looking to completely disable 144hz on my monitor (or, obscure that as an option from Windows/apps). I tried editing the monitor profile at the top of CRU to set the max v to 120 but that didn't seem to work (with a reboot). I assume I'm missing something. As a background, I have Windows set to 120Hz and everything runs/plays gloriously at that, other than No Man's Sky which for reasons unknown uses whatever the max refresh of the monitor is when launching (but reverts to your desired max FPS setting in game once you load a save). Either way, this causes a glitch sometimes that makes the monitor desync. I've given up on NMS addressing this so I'd rather just nuke the 144Hz frequency altogether since I can't use it anyway at 4K without giving up HDR/G-Sync (or hooking up a second DP cable to it). Thanks in advance.
10-07-2020, 11:36 PM
(10-07-2020 04:11 PM)Arkive Wrote:  Apologize if this has been asked/answered, but I'm looking to completely disable 144hz on my monitor (or, obscure that as an option from Windows/apps). I tried editing the monitor profile at the top of CRU to set the max v to 120 but that didn't seem to work (with a reboot). I assume I'm missing something. As a background, I have Windows set to 120Hz and everything runs/plays gloriously at that, other than No Man's Sky which for reasons unknown uses whatever the max refresh of the monitor is when launching (but reverts to your desired max FPS setting in game once you load a save). Either way, this causes a glitch sometimes that makes the monitor desync. I've given up on NMS addressing this so I'd rather just nuke the 144Hz frequency altogether since I can't use it anyway at 4K without giving up HDR/G-Sync (or hooking up a second DP cable to it). Thanks in advance.
You need to delete any 144 Hz resolutions that are defined including in the extension blocks. The max V rate doesn't affect what refresh rates are available.
10-10-2020, 05:38 AM
I want to try the alternate method but there is no .exe filetype when I click export, only .bin,.dat,.inf & .txt..

I wanto to oc my display on MSI GT60 (i7 3630qm, Intel HD4000 & nvidia Quadro M4000M)..

Thank you guys!
10-10-2020, 01:31 PM
(10-10-2020 05:38 AM)glockmane Wrote:  I want to try the alternate method but there is no .exe filetype when I click export, only .bin,.dat,.inf & .txt..
Then you are using an old version. You need 1.4.2.
10-14-2020, 12:07 AM
Hello ToastyX! I was wondering if there's a workaround for the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, I know CRU doesn't work with it. I summarize: I have Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) and the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter installed. Everything worked perfect, until I had to buy a new monitor: Philips 223V5LHSB2/55. The problem is that Windows doesn't show me the 1920x1080 resolution, which is recommended for my new monitor.
If I install the latest NVIDIA driver (it was built for Windows 8), the monitor works flawlessly and is set to 1920x1080 by itself (but Windows start menu and Windows settings interface are out of control, windows flicker etc).

So: if I install the NVIDIA driver, the monitor is recognized but Windows goes crazy. And if I install the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, the operating system works perfect but the monitor doesn't offer the resolution I need, so everything looks a bit deformed.

Is there any workaround for that problem? Thank you very much in advance!