Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-30-2020, 12:13 AM (Last edited: 10-30-2020, 12:18 AM by botounacruzeta)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I had a problem I haven't found anywhere in the internet:

After using CRU to delete a detailed resolution and restart the graphics device, I can't open Nvidia Control Panel anymore. Nothing happens when I try to open it.

Relevant specs: (please feel free to ask for more info, I've put only what I felt was relevant for this)

CRU version 1.4.1
Windows 10 Pro x64 build 19042.572
RTX 2080ti
NVIDIA Driver 452.06 (DCH)
NVIDIA Control Panel version 8.1.958.0

If I monitor the processes in Windows Task Manager, I can see nvCplUI.exe process actually appears during 5 seconds, and after that, it closes silently with no error messages, no apparent logs saved, and no recorded events in Windows Event Viewer.

The app just closes silently.

Restarting Windows, or reinstalling NVIDIA Drivers and Nvidia Control Panel application doesn't help.

After further investigation, it turns out the problems arise not because a resolution was deleted, but because CRU saved something. I've come to this conclusion because before changing anything using CRU, I'd exported the settings using the "Export" button in CRU.

After deleting the resolution and realizing NVCPL wasn't opening anymore, I've used "reset-all.exe" and restarted the GPU.

NVCPL then opened.

Then, I've imported the configuration backup I'd done using CRU, and after restarting GPU, NVCPL stopped opening again.

The same problem happens if I use "reset-all.exe", restart the GPU, move some resolution up (inside CRU) and save, open CRU again, move that same resolution down (in order to keep everything "unchanged"), save, and restart GPU.

Note I did two changes using CRU, and restarted the GPU only once, but as changes consisted in moving a resolution moved up and then down, at least I expected nothing weird should happen.

As a final note, the resolution I've deleted and moved up and down in the tests weren't the one Windows were set to.

Does anyone know what might be happening here?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2020, 01:36 AM
(10-30-2020 12:13 AM)botounacruzeta Wrote:  After using CRU to delete a detailed resolution and restart the graphics device, I can't open Nvidia Control Panel anymore. Nothing happens when I try to open it.
A few people have reported this, but I have no idea what could be causing the problem. CRU doesn't touch anything related to the NVIDIA driver, so it has to be a driver bug. Does the problem also happen with non-DCH drivers? What about older drivers? Can you attach the exported settings?
10-30-2020, 05:18 AM (Last edited: 10-30-2020, 05:18 AM by botounacruzeta)
I haven't tried other drivers, because older drivers gave me small issues in some games, and 452.06 is fine.

I'll test the non-DCH version of 452.06 as soon as I can.

I've attached the default settings I'd exported from CRU right after using "reset-all.exe". (.inf format)

As a side note, I noticed when I import these settings (that should be the default ones) and restart the GPU, CRU shows a "*" to the right of the monitor name, meaning (at least I think so) the current settings are not the default ones.....but they are.

Attached File(s)
.inf  CRU exported settings - default.inf (Size: 1.9 KB / Downloads: 241)
10-30-2020, 03:24 PM
(10-30-2020 05:18 AM)botounacruzeta Wrote:  As a side note, I noticed when I import these settings (that should be the default ones) and restart the GPU, CRU shows a "*" to the right of the monitor name, meaning (at least I think so) the current settings are not the default ones.....but they are.
That's not a problem. CRU always sets certain bits a certain way, so that may be different than the default. That shouldn't break the NVIDIA control panel. What happens if you delete the vendor-specific data block from the extension block?

Another thing you can try, install this: https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Run reset-all.exe and reboot. Then run MonInfo and create an INF file. Then install the INF file using the instructions here: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...-inf-files

That will install an EDID override with absolutely no changes. If that breaks the NVIDIA control panel, then that means simply the presense of any EDID override is triggering the problem, not necessarily the content of the EDID override.

Attach the INF file created with MonInfo so I can see what differences there are.
10-30-2020, 04:31 PM
Quote:What happens if you delete the vendor-specific data block from the extension block?

I've tested it now. Just ran "reset-all.exe", and deleted the vendor-specific data block from the extension block. After restarting GPU, the same problem happened: NVCPL doesn't open.

Quote:Another thing you can try, install this: https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Run reset-all.exe and reboot. Then run MonInfo and create an INF file. Then install the INF file using the instructions here: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...-inf-files

That will install an EDID override with absolutely no changes. If that breaks the NVIDIA control panel, then that means simply the presense of any EDID override is triggering the problem, not necessarily the content of the EDID override.

Attach the INF file created with MonInfo so I can see what differences there are.

I'll do that later, and post the results.

Thanks!
10-30-2020, 10:23 PM (Last edited: 10-30-2020, 10:28 PM by botounacruzeta)
Quote:Another thing you can try, install this: https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Done.

Steps I did:

-Ran reset-all.exe;
-Rebooted PC;
-Disabled driver signature enforcement in Windows before it restarts;
-Opened MonInfo, and created inf file (attached);
-Installed inf file (right click -> Install. Windows asked if I really wanted to install the unsigned driver, I answered "Yes", and then got "Operation Completed Succesfully" after that);
-Restarted GPU;

After doing that, NVCPL actually worked.

Attached File(s)
.inf  Monitor Asset Manager.inf (Size: 3.02 KB / Downloads: 262)
10-30-2020, 11:51 PM
(10-30-2020 10:23 PM)botounacruzeta Wrote:  Done.

Steps I did:

-Ran reset-all.exe;
-Rebooted PC;
-Installed inf file (right click -> Install. Windows asked if I really wanted to install the unsigned driver, I answered "Yes", and then got "Operation Completed Succesfully" after that);
-Restarted GPU;

After doing that, NVCPL actually worked.
If you open CRU, do you see "(active)" and "*" next to the monitor name? What happens now if you import the CRU-exported settings and restart?
10-31-2020, 03:41 AM (Last edited: 10-31-2020, 03:56 AM by botounacruzeta)
Quote:If you open CRU, do you see "(active)" and "*" next to the monitor name? What happens now if you import the CRU-exported settings and restart?

Yes, I see "(active)" and "*" next to monitor name.

In this condition, NVCPL works.

If after doing the steps:

Quote:-Ran reset-all.exe;
-Rebooted PC;
-Restarted GPU;

, I import the CRU-exported settings and restart GPU, NVCPL doesn't work anymore.

I did other two experiments:

-Ran reset-all.exe;
-Restarted GPU; (NVCPL worked after doing this)
-updated monitor driver using "CRU exported settings - default.inf" (default settings I'd previously exported using CRU);
-Restarted GPU

NVCPL stopped working after doing this.

After this:

-Ran reset-all.exe;
-Restarted GPU; (NVCPL worked after doing this)
-Opened CRU, and imported "Monitor Asset Manager.inf" (default settings generated by Monitor Asset Manager);
-Restarted GPU

NVCPL stopped working after doing this.
10-31-2020, 01:25 PM
(10-31-2020 03:41 AM)botounacruzeta Wrote:  I import the CRU-exported settings and restart GPU, NVCPL doesn't work anymore.
What happens if you click the "Edit..." button at the top and enable "Include if slot available" under "Range limits"?
10-31-2020, 05:39 PM
I have a Samsung c27fg70 which I canĀ“t set at 144 Hz because of a defective firmware https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad4emOwpFEI.

Could this software help me? I'm trying it, no luck so far, can I do something?