Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-14-2020, 12:24 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hey ToastyX, I have an issue with CRU. My monitor is an Acer ET322QU (1440p 48-75hz). After using CRU, if I turn my monitor off then on again everything will look dim/faded even if I don't overclock anything. I know it's not my monitor acting strange because the cursor is still white and bright, my monitor's OSD still shows up bright, it is only the rest of the OS that looks dim. If I reset the display driver using restart64 or by pressing Win + Shift + Ctrl + B it will fix the issue, but will present itself again if I turn the monitor off and on.

I am using an RX 480 with the latest drivers (20.11.1), and I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 (October 2020 update). I should note that my monitor does not support HDR and I am not messing with HDR settings on CRU.

Another thing I noticed this bug is causing is that when I turn my monitor off/on the resolution switches to 1024x768 then back to native 1440p. It sucks because sometimes I'll have some windows open and when my monitor turns off/on all my windows are resized to a tiny square and it's frustrating to have to resize everything everytime. I used a remote desktop app to prove this, because when I turn off the monitor and then access my desktop using the remote app I can see how small everything is and I can go to the display settings and it tells me it's at a low resolution.

If I use reset-all.exe it fixes the problem entirely but I lose my overclock. I hope you can help us out because I found a good OC that is helpful for less input lag and would love to use it without having to work around this nasty bug (although it probably has something to do with AMD's drivers).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2020, 02:20 PM
(11-14-2020 12:24 PM)AchillesBoi Wrote:  Hey ToastyX, I have an issue with CRU. My monitor is an Acer ET322QU (1440p 48-75hz). After using CRU, if I turn my monitor off then on again everything will look dim/faded even if I don't overclock anything. I know it's not my monitor acting strange because the cursor is still white and bright, my monitor's OSD still shows up bright, it is only the rest of the OS that looks dim. If I reset the display driver using restart64 or by pressing Win + Shift + Ctrl + B it will fix the issue, but will present itself again if I turn the monitor off and on.

I am using an RX 480 with the latest drivers (20.11.1), and I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 (October 2020 update). I should note that my monitor does not support HDR and I am not messing with HDR settings on CRU.

Another thing I noticed this bug is causing is that when I turn my monitor off/on the resolution switches to 1024x768 then back to native 1440p. It sucks because sometimes I'll have some windows open and when my monitor turns off/on all my windows are resized to a tiny square and it's frustrating to have to resize everything everytime. I used a remote desktop app to prove this, because when I turn off the monitor and then access my desktop using the remote app I can see how small everything is and I can go to the display settings and it tells me it's at a low resolution.

If I use reset-all.exe it fixes the problem entirely but I lose my overclock. I hope you can help us out because I found a good OC that is helpful for less input lag and would love to use it without having to work around this nasty bug (although it probably has something to do with AMD's drivers).
It's an AMD driver bug, so I don't know what to do about it. Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort? Does it happen with one or both? The issue with windows moving around is normal for DisplayPort because DisplayPort doesn't keep a connection when you turn the monitor off, but it shouldn't happen with HDMI.
11-14-2020, 09:40 PM
(11-14-2020 02:20 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-14-2020 12:24 PM)AchillesBoi Wrote:  Hey ToastyX, I have an issue with CRU. My monitor is an Acer ET322QU (1440p 48-75hz). After using CRU, if I turn my monitor off then on again everything will look dim/faded even if I don't overclock anything. I know it's not my monitor acting strange because the cursor is still white and bright, my monitor's OSD still shows up bright, it is only the rest of the OS that looks dim. If I reset the display driver using restart64 or by pressing Win + Shift + Ctrl + B it will fix the issue, but will present itself again if I turn the monitor off and on.

It's an AMD driver bug, so I don't know what to do about it. Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort? Does it happen with one or both? The issue with windows moving around is normal for DisplayPort because DisplayPort doesn't keep a connection when you turn the monitor off, but it shouldn't happen with HDMI.

I am using DisplayPort, and even though it loses connection when I turn the monitor off the resolution stays the same if I use default settings. The moment I use CRU the resolution will go all the way down when I turn the monitor off, so I am absolutely sure CRU is doing something here.

I have not tried with HDMI, but I hear DisplayPort is much better so I intend to use that. I have tried deleting all data from CRU: Established resolutions, Standard resolutions, Extension blocks, and all Detailed resolutions except for my OC, just to see if one of them is the culprit. Turns out it still suffers the bug regardless of what I put in CRU. If I touch anything in the slightest, even if I don't overclock anything, it will "activate" the bug.

Maybe CRU is missing an important Extension block that it's not adding by default?
11-15-2020, 01:37 AM
(11-14-2020 09:40 PM)AchillesBoi Wrote:  I am using DisplayPort, and even though it loses connection when I turn the monitor off the resolution stays the same if I use default settings. The moment I use CRU the resolution will go all the way down when I turn the monitor off, so I am absolutely sure CRU is doing something here.

I have not tried with HDMI, but I hear DisplayPort is much better so I intend to use that. I have tried deleting all data from CRU: Established resolutions, Standard resolutions, Extension blocks, and all Detailed resolutions except for my OC, just to see if one of them is the culprit. Turns out it still suffers the bug regardless of what I put in CRU. If I touch anything in the slightest, even if I don't overclock anything, it will "activate" the bug.

Maybe CRU is missing an important Extension block that it's not adding by default?
The dimming is a driver bug for sure. Running restart64.exe or pressing Win+Shift+Ctrl+B proves this. I think the bug is related to higher color depths with FreeSync. Can you export a file after running reset-all.exe and restarting so I can take a look?

The windows resizing is a Windows+DisplayPort limitation. When the monitor is turned off with DisplayPort, it disconnects, so Windows moves all the windows to a virtual monitor. I don't know how it decides what resolution to use for the virtual monitor, but it's not something CRU can control. This is a common problem even for people not using CRU. I've seen people post various solutions, but they don't seem to work for all cases. Here's one example: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...157334bb2f

CRU includes all extension blocks even if it doesn't know what it is. Unsupported extension blocks are listed as "Other extension block (##)". If CRU can't read an extension block, it will be listed as "Default extension block". CEA-861 and DisplayID are the only ones commonly used, and CRU supports both. CRU also preserves data blocks that haven't been edited.
11-15-2020, 12:32 PM
Hello forummm!!!i have QNIX QX 2710 and i love this monitor but he has only DVI and on my old card 1080ti and 980ti with dvi goes to 120hz oc can i buy this adapter club3d CAC1010 and i reach 120hz for newers cards?like 3080?thanks a lot
11-15-2020, 03:31 PM
(11-15-2020 12:32 PM)PanosXidis Wrote:  Hello forummm!!!i have QNIX QX 2710 and i love this monitor but he has only DVI and on my old card 1080ti and 980ti with dvi goes to 120hz oc can i buy this adapter club3d CAC1010 and i reach 120hz for newers cards?like 3080?thanks a lot
I don't know the limits of that particular adapter, but similar adapters are limited to 357 MHz pixel clock with 24-bit color (8 bpc) and 476 MHz with 18-bit color (6 bpc) when used with NVIDIA GPUs, so you might be able to get 120 Hz, but it'll be at 6 bpc. AMD GPUs seem to limit the adapter to 300 MHz (8 bpc) and 400 MHz (6 bpc), which is only enough for 100 Hz at 6 bpc.
11-15-2020, 06:21 PM
(11-15-2020 03:31 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-15-2020 12:32 PM)PanosXidis Wrote:  Hello forummm!!!i have QNIX QX 2710 and i love this monitor but he has only DVI and on my old card 1080ti and 980ti with dvi goes to 120hz oc can i buy this adapter club3d CAC1010 and i reach 120hz for newers cards?like 3080?thanks a lot
I don't know the limits of that particular adapter, but similar adapters are limited to 357 MHz pixel clock with 24-bit color (8 bpc) and 476 MHz with 18-bit color (6 bpc) when used with NVIDIA GPUs, so you might be able to get 120 Hz, but it'll be at 6 bpc. AMD GPUs seem to limit the adapter to 300 MHz (8 bpc) and 400 MHz (6 bpc), which is only enough for 100 Hz at 6 bpc.
you dont know in depth this adapter right???hmmmm thanks a lot!!but many guys buying this adapter can message here please???My Monitor is 8bit Color is QNIX QX2710 with only DVI
11-16-2020, 04:40 PM
I'm having issues with my surface laptop 3 13.5" display and intel iris plus g7 graphics. I want to set a custom framerate for smooth 24p playback but can't get it to work. The display just goes black, even when I leave everything at default but add another resolution entry. The built in windows 10 movies and tv app enables 24p playback but I can't find a way to enable it outside of the player. I use mpc hc and madvr for video because the quality is much higher with it and it can't switch to 24p. Any suggesstions?
11-16-2020, 11:38 PM
(11-16-2020 04:40 PM)perrinpages Wrote:  I'm having issues with my surface laptop 3 13.5" display and intel iris plus g7 graphics. I want to set a custom framerate for smooth 24p playback but can't get it to work. The display just goes black, even when I leave everything at default but add another resolution entry. The built in windows 10 movies and tv app enables 24p playback but I can't find a way to enable it outside of the player. I use mpc hc and madvr for video because the quality is much higher with it and it can't switch to 24p. Any suggesstions?
Try the alternative method.
11-17-2020, 12:38 AM
(11-16-2020 11:38 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-16-2020 04:40 PM)perrinpages Wrote:  I'm having issues with my surface laptop 3 13.5" display and intel iris plus g7 graphics. I want to set a custom framerate for smooth 24p playback but can't get it to work. The display just goes black, even when I leave everything at default but add another resolution entry. The built in windows 10 movies and tv app enables 24p playback but I can't find a way to enable it outside of the player. I use mpc hc and madvr for video because the quality is much higher with it and it can't switch to 24p. Any suggesstions?
Try the alternative method.
Still got a black screen after restart.