Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-12-2020, 04:13 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(12-12-2020 03:21 PM)surfacedockguy Wrote:  Hi - has anybody had luck using CRU.exe on the Microsoft Surface Pro X or any other Qualcomm Adreno based Windows laptop?
The graphics driver has to support EDID overrides, and I don't think the Adreno driver does.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2020, 11:10 AM
Hi,

First of all, thanks for this utility, although I have not used it yet, it seems very interesting.

But I have some doubts and precautions, because I bought a new LG CX55'' TV that has cost me € 1,200 and I don't want to break it or damage it:

Does this CRU change or affect the internal software of the TV (as It seems), or does it only affect the PC/Nvidia driver side? And if it affects the TV software (as it seems), is there any risk that it will break it or affect the TV warranty?

I'm interested in this CRU because I use my LG CX55 '' with an RTX 3080, and I'm interested in reducing motion blur that occurs when playing at 60FPS. And I read this post on Reddit yesterday about this utility:

"...But in reality there is a big, important difference - Nvidia is doing frame doubling even when the adaptive sync range isn't wide enough to cover all framerates. So if your monitor's range is 90-144Hz, you will be playing 60 fps games at 120Hz! But if your monitor has a much more common 48-144Hz range, Nvidia will still prefer native 60Hz for 60fps, just like AMD.

Now, why does it matter? Unfortunately, monitors might not look the same at all refresh rates, especially 144Hz monitors. Many VA monitors look darker at lower refresh rates, and nearly all monitors have their overdrive settings optimized for maximum refresh rates. As a result, you may have two issues with adaptive sync at lower refresh rates:

-Brightness flickering (when the monitor is rapidly switching between high and low refresh rates)
-Ghosting/overshoot (trailing behind moving objects)"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ap...could_amd/

I don't quite understand the logic or the procedure by which a game that runs at 60fps, goes to 120fps/hz, but as that post on Reddit says, it seems that Nvidia drivers what it does is double the fps. That seems that may will help eliminate or reduce motion blur, but before testing and learnig deeply how this CRU works, I want to know which risks there are, since my TV is new and expensive, and I don't want to break it or lose the warranty after the second week.

Thanks in advance, and lets see if I can finally find a way to reduce that motion blue at 60fps.
12-13-2020, 03:21 PM (Last edited: 12-13-2020, 03:26 PM by pol44r)
im on an ASUS laptop with 1050TI and i5-7300Hq
i want to try a 3:2 resolution of 1152x768
So i followed a video ,everything worked but i relaised i had no monitor option in the nvidia control panel

but i found an Intel Graphics center and tehr
i found my custom resolution,however when i change to it everything turns black and resets to 16:9 1920 by 1080
any idea why and how should i do to have my resolution?

Edit:literally just uptaded my intel graphics center and it works now LOL
12-13-2020, 03:32 PM
(12-13-2020 11:10 AM)Aidorin Wrote:  Does this CRU change or affect the internal software of the TV (as It seems), or does it only affect the PC/Nvidia driver side? And if it affects the TV software (as it seems), is there any risk that it will break it or affect the TV warranty?
CRU does not affect the hardware or firmware of the TV. It creates software EDID overrides on the PC side that are easily removed by running reset-all.exe and rebooting. Most TVs and monitors will not allow resolutions and refresh rates outside of supported limits, so they can't be damaged.
12-13-2020, 05:05 PM
(12-13-2020 03:32 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-13-2020 11:10 AM)Aidorin Wrote:  Does this CRU change or affect the internal software of the TV (as It seems), or does it only affect the PC/Nvidia driver side? And if it affects the TV software (as it seems), is there any risk that it will break it or affect the TV warranty?
CRU does not affect the hardware or firmware of the TV. It creates software EDID overrides on the PC side that are easily removed by running reset-all.exe and rebooting. Most TVs and monitors will not allow resolutions and refresh rates outside of supported limits, so they can't be damaged.

Yes, I thought about it right after I put my post that it is impossible for this program to affect or change the TV software simply through the HDMI cable that connects PC and TV. It was a slightly absurd question.

So ... do you think it can serve to remove the motion blur that feature of Nvidia that supposedly "double the frames" when the range of the VRR is restricted to 90-120? Although I don't know exactly what custom VRR range I should use. Do you have a tutorial on how to do all this?

Thanks once more.
12-14-2020, 01:31 AM
If custom CRU settings resolve an intermittent computer monitor black screen issue where does the root problem most likely reside? Huh
12-14-2020, 03:43 AM
(12-14-2020 01:31 AM)Epic753 Wrote:  If custom CRU settings resolve an intermittent computer monitor black screen issue where does the root problem most likely reside? Huh
What settings?
12-14-2020, 03:54 AM
(12-13-2020 05:05 PM)Aidorin Wrote:  Yes, I thought about it right after I put my post that it is impossible for this program to affect or change the TV software simply through the HDMI cable that connects PC and TV. It was a slightly absurd question.

So ... do you think it can serve to remove the motion blur that feature of Nvidia that supposedly "double the frames" when the range of the VRR is restricted to 90-120? Although I don't know exactly what custom VRR range I should use. Do you have a tutorial on how to do all this?
That depends on how the TV refreshes. The feature you are talking about is low frame rate compensation. If the range is 90-120, it can also do 45-60 by doubling the frames. Motion blur is caused by persistence of vision combined with sample and hold, which means the pixels stay lit the entire time. If the TV does sample and hold, then not doubling the frames won't affect motion blur because the second refresh is redundant anyway. If the TV uses black frame insertion (BFI), which blacks out the screen after every refresh to reduce motion blur, then doubling the frames causes a double image effect when following motion, so expanding the VRR range would help there. Doesn't the CX55 already have a VRR range of 40-120? According to the RTINGS review, it's capable of doing both methods, but BFI is disabled when VRR is enabled: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled
12-14-2020, 04:44 AM (Last edited: 12-14-2020, 04:49 AM by Epic753)
(12-14-2020 03:43 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 01:31 AM)Epic753 Wrote:  If custom CRU settings resolve an intermittent computer monitor black screen issue where does the root problem most likely reside? Huh
What settings?

I had 4 day's no failures when I just posted that question a little earlier. I thought it was resolved but ten minutes ago after I posted the question it happened again, nvlddmkm in event viewer during all occurrences.

I followed the instructions in this link (did not reset the audio settings in steps 4-11).

I had no issues till just now. Web browsing, seems it might be related to youtube/scrolling. Display freezes and or mouse freeze then black screen then recovers..

So now i'm not sure if this helped or the issue got less intermittent. It was happening 1-3 times a day, since brand new build. It seemed like CRU fixed it. And I don't know if the CRU settings can "improve" the issue.

https://motherbear.home.blog/2019/12/10/...creen-fix/
12-14-2020, 11:30 AM
(12-14-2020 03:54 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-13-2020 05:05 PM)Aidorin Wrote:  Yes, I thought about it right after I put my post that it is impossible for this program to affect or change the TV software simply through the HDMI cable that connects PC and TV. It was a slightly absurd question.

That depends on how the TV refreshes. The feature you are talking about is low frame rate compensation. If the range is 90-120, it can also do 45-60 by doubling the frames. Motion blur is caused by persistence of vision combined with sample and hold, which means the pixels stay lit the entire time. If the TV does sample and hold, then not doubling the frames won't affect motion blur because the second refresh is redundant anyway. If the TV uses black frame insertion (BFI), which blacks out the screen after every refresh to reduce motion blur, then doubling the frames causes a double image effect when following motion, so expanding the VRR range would help there. Doesn't the CX55 already have a VRR range of 40-120? According to the RTINGS review, it's capable of doing both methods, but BFI is disabled when VRR is enabled: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

Yes, the LG CX has a VRR range of 40-120. But, from what I have understood so far, what I should do is to reduce that range, not to 'expand' it (as you said). And yes, the LG CX also has a BFI system, but it reduces the brightness and image quality, and as you correctly said, the VRR cannot be used at the same time as the BFI.

What I thought that perhaps could be achieved with those ideas that come out in the Reddit post that I put and your CRU program, is that Nvidia's LFC maybe would do something similar to what the BFI does, and it would eliminate the motion blur but without loss of brightness and quality.

Well, it is a bit difficult to speculate about all this, because this are techniques that I do not quite understand how they work, so speculation is even more difficult. Perhaps it would be best to start testing and see the results, although I'm not sure where I should start. With a 90-120 range custom VRR?