Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-07-2021, 04:16 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-07-2021 01:08 PM)jadedjumpman Wrote:  Hi, I'm trying to use an external monitor with my laptop, and CRU to create a custom res. My second screen works fine, but the moment I create a custom res (1440x1080 at 75hz), the second screen goes black post restart and I have to reset everything via the laptop screen to go back to normal. I know the monitor supports this res as I have used this res on this monitor using a different pc setup. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? When I create the res I definitely create it for the monitor and not for the laptop screen.
What monitor? What laptop? Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort? How are you adding the resolution? How did you add the resolution on the other PC?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2021, 04:37 PM
(08-07-2021 04:16 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-07-2021 11:02 AM)SickaJacks Wrote:  Yo guys, first time I heard about CRU and trying to use it. Maybe a silly question but I need help:
I got dual monitor setup:
- Acer XF240h 1920x1080 @144hz (8bit through DP)
- LG 27GL23A 2560x1440 @144hz (10bit through DP)

I do have a MSI GTX 1080.

The problem I am facing is, that my GPU wont downclock when idle.. it only does when only 1 screen is turned on.

I read that this is a common problem and it has to make with refresh rates that Windows is mismatching.

I just wanna match those refreshrates.. what is the best thing I can do?
Using the "Exact" timing options will make the refresh rates match exactly, but that might not be enough. In theory it should work if the refresh rates match, but the video card might only be capable of downclocking if the pixel clocks are synchronized, which is harder to do with different resolutions. If you make the totals match, the pixel clocks will be perfectly synchronized, but there might not be any totals that both monitors will accept. You will have to play around and see.

Thanks for your reply.

Both monitors on 120hz works like a charm. So is there no thing like adding more blanking vertical on one of them?
08-08-2021, 10:02 AM
Hello. First of all, thanks for your app @ToastyX. However I have a huge problem occurred on my pc after I used one of the app files. CRU.exe was working fine. Then, out of curiosity, I clicked on 'restart64.exe' file and then I have heard some detaching of a USB-like sounds from my computer and my screen went away. It went black screen so I had to hard reset. After I hard reset my pc, the screen appeared but I could only see the taskbar and the cursor and the wallpaper. No desktop icons are shown. Also, when I click on something from the taskbar, it doesnt appear on the screen. For instance, I have the Chrome icon on my taskbar. Im clicking on it and it shows that it is opened when I move my cursor to the Chrome icon on the taskbar. However NOTHING appears on the screen. So I can only see just my wallpaper/taskbar/cursor and pc seems to be running perfectly but NO screen is shown. Task manager is the same also, it opens, I can see on the taskbar it opens, but it doesnt appear on the screen. Do you know how can I solve this issue? Could you please help me? Thanks in advance.
08-08-2021, 02:09 PM
(08-08-2021 10:02 AM)air2324jordan2 Wrote:  Hello. First of all, thanks for your app @ToastyX. However I have a huge problem occurred on my pc after I used one of the app files. CRU.exe was working fine. Then, out of curiosity, I clicked on 'restart64.exe' file and then I have heard some detaching of a USB-like sounds from my computer and my screen went away. It went black screen so I had to hard reset. After I hard reset my pc, the screen appeared but I could only see the taskbar and the cursor and the wallpaper. No desktop icons are shown. Also, when I click on something from the taskbar, it doesnt appear on the screen. For instance, I have the Chrome icon on my taskbar. Im clicking on it and it shows that it is opened when I move my cursor to the Chrome icon on the taskbar. However NOTHING appears on the screen. So I can only see just my wallpaper/taskbar/cursor and pc seems to be running perfectly but NO screen is shown. Task manager is the same also, it opens, I can see on the taskbar it opens, but it doesnt appear on the screen. Do you know how can I solve this issue? Could you please help me? Thanks in advance.
Boot into safe mode. Then run reset-all.exe and reboot. What monitor and GPU are you using?
08-08-2021, 02:19 PM
(08-07-2021 04:37 PM)SickaJacks Wrote:  Both monitors on 120hz works like a charm. So is there no thing like adding more blanking vertical on one of them?
What did you try? You can't just add vertical blanking to one monitor. The monitors have to be synchronized. Changing the memory clock has to be done during the blanking period to avoid corrupting the screen contents, but if the monitors aren't synchronized, the blanking periods won't happen at the same time, so the memory clock can't change without affecting one of the screens.
08-10-2021, 07:01 AM
(08-02-2021 01:57 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-01-2021 08:26 AM)JayBee Wrote:  I recently bought a LG 55nano91 4K TV and a RTX 3060, and I am trying to remove the 4096x2160 resolutions that prevent the GPU scaling from working correctly at 120Hz (defaults to 4096 instead of the native 3840 horizontal res).

Issue is that if I edit anything with CRU on that monitor, when I restart the display drivers or restart the PC, my screens (I got 2 screens connected) blink a bit and then windows crashes, mouse cursor frozen and nothing reacts.
Unplugging the TV, rebooting the PC, then deleting the modified driver in CRU solves the issue, but then if I edit again it comes back.

I bet it has something to do with the extension blocks reading/writing?
It's mentioned in the first post that there is an issue with Nvidia and reading the extra extension blocks, but I really don't understand how to fix that issue Undecided

(08-01-2021 10:29 PM)wrathloki Wrote:  I’m trying to remove the 4096x2160 resolutions from the EDID of my LG CX (to get rid of black bars in certain games) and I’m running into a problem. After deleting these resolutions, closing CRU, and restarting the computer or running the restart tool I get no signal on all monitors connected. I have to forcibly shut down the computer, disconnect the HDMI, boot back up, and run the reset tool before reconnecting the HDMI to get the TV displaying again. How can I get this to work? My video card is a 3070ti and current drivers are 471.41.

Edit: Looks like I’m having the same exact problem as JayBee, also with an LG set.

Driver crashes are always a driver bug, so it should be reported to NVIDIA. This sounds like a new problem, so try an older driver like 466.77.

I went back to 471.11 and it worked. Thanks for all the work you do and the help you give, you rule.
08-13-2021, 08:06 PM
Hello there,

I just stumbled upon CRU for adjusting my headless ghost's supported resolutions.. well more precisely.. frequencies (for a headless / display-less server with a physical RTX card in it) and I was wondering, given that the headless ghost dongle actually does support writing edid values to it, if that's something that's planned for CRU? I mean.. it's already an awesome tool nevertheless, but if I could just persist the rewrite on the dongle itself, it would be even more awesome.

Thanks!
-Joerg
08-14-2021, 04:01 AM
Hello if anyone is reading this I need help, when I try to use CRU to overclock my monitor from 60hz to anything above, when I restart my computer like the instructions say there are no options to change my refresh rate it is only at 60hz.

My computer is a laptop.(Gigabyte Aero 15, GTX 1060, I7-7700hq, 16GB Ram)
Now the monitor is xrite pantone calibrated, so I don't know if that has something to do with it. Also since there is aa dedicated GPU is it that cru is trying to use the integrated GPU?

If you don't know of a solution I can screenshare add my discord: Kutanna#7611
08-14-2021, 09:43 PM
(08-13-2021 08:06 PM)jbattermann Wrote:  I just stumbled upon CRU for adjusting my headless ghost's supported resolutions.. well more precisely.. frequencies (for a headless / display-less server with a physical RTX card in it) and I was wondering, given that the headless ghost dongle actually does support writing edid values to it, if that's something that's planned for CRU? I mean.. it's already an awesome tool nevertheless, but if I could just persist the rewrite on the dongle itself, it would be even more awesome.
I wanted to make a separate program for writing the EDID. If you have another way to write the EDID, you can use CRU to export a .bin file to get the raw data.
08-15-2021, 04:31 PM (Last edited: 08-15-2021, 04:33 PM by MasterofSalt)
Hello, 6900 XT with a Dell s3220dgf freesync flickering issue. One of the fixes is to set the freesync range to 80-164 from 48-164. However it does not appear to be working. Range remains 48+, connected via DP port, and set V range via both "detailed resolution" (which weirdly shows the current refresh rate at 59.950, even with the monitor and drivers both telling me its at 164 Hz) and via the Extension Blocks. Any ideas?