Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-28-2013, 07:59 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) allows custom resolutions to be defined for both AMD/ATI and NVIDIA GPUs by creating EDID overrides directly in the registry without having to deal with inf files.

Quick start:
[*]Choose a display from the drop-down list.
  • "(active)" means the display is connected and the configuration is active.
  • "*" means changes were saved and an override is in effect.
[*]Edit the configuration as desired.
  • The first detailed resolution is considered the preferred or native resolution. To make games use a higher refresh rate, define it as the first detailed resolution.
  • At least one detailed resolution should be defined. All other resolutions can be removed if they are not needed.
  • NVIDIA users must either uncheck "Include extension block" or import a custom extension block for custom resolutions to work.
[*]Repeat steps 1-2 for other displays if required.
  • The "Copy" and "Paste" buttons can be used to copy all the resolutions from one display to another.
[*]Click "OK" to save the changes.
[*]Reboot.

I am trying to understand how to use Utility for my purpose. I have a dual monitor system, Primary LCD display and a Projector as an extended display. The Projector is connected via an IOGEAR wireless transmitter/receiver. CRU sees the transmitter as "EXP0901- EP-HDMI-RX" and the projector as "MEID08E - AE3000".

In Nvidia Control panel, and when the transmitter/receiver is connected to the projector, I see the AE3000 and I change the content type from the default "Auto-select" to "Full-screen videos". However, when I turn off the projector, NVIDIA sees EP-HDMI-RX instead. The next time that I turn on the projector, I am back to the default "Auto-select".

I would need the "Full-screen videos" setting to stick, and I believe that the only way to do this is to "trick" windows into believing that it is always connected to the AE3000 rather than sometimes to the EP-HDMI-RX.

Is this possible? Can I trick windows into believing that the EP-HDMI-RX is the AE3000 (would this be an EDID override?)? If so, how would I do this?

TIA!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2013, 01:45 AM
That can be done with Monitor Asset Manager: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Select the real-time EDID for MEID08E. Then choose "Create INF..." from the File menu. Then disconnect the projector and install the INF using the device manager, or use CRU to import the INF file. CRU won't change the display ID or the name like installing the INF file would, but it will import the resolutions and the extension block, which is where the important information is.
10-29-2013, 10:24 PM
(10-29-2013 01:45 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  That can be done with Monitor Asset Manager: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Select the real-time EDID for MEID08E. Then choose "Create INF..." from the File menu. Then disconnect the projector and install the INF using the device manager, or use CRU to import the INF file. CRU won't change the display ID or the name like installing the INF file would, but it will import the resolutions and the extension block, which is where the important information is.

Thanks! I created the INF file, but I am not sure what to do next.

For example, if I use CRU, do I select the active EXP0901- EP-HDMI-RX and import the INF file there? Will Windows then think that I always have the MEID08E - AE3000 connected and the NVIDIA settings will stick?

If I later need to revert back, do I run reset-all.exe?
10-29-2013, 11:08 PM
(10-29-2013 10:24 PM)viking Wrote:  For example, if I use CRU, do I select the active EXP0901- EP-HDMI-RX and import the INF file there?
Yes.

(10-29-2013 10:24 PM)viking Wrote:  Will Windows then think that I always have the MEID08E - AE3000 connected and the NVIDIA settings will stick?
If you use CRU, it won't change the ID or the name, but it will import the capabilities so it's like an identical device. That should allow the content type setting to appear in the NVIDIA control panel.

If you install it using the device manager, it will override the ID and the name as well. The device manager process is a bit more complicated. If you're using Windows 8, you have to temporarily disable driver signature enforcement first. Then open the device manager -> right-click the monitor -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... -> Browse for the .inf file -> OK -> Next -> Install this driver software anyway.

(10-29-2013 10:24 PM)viking Wrote:  If I later need to revert back, do I run reset-all.exe?
Yes, or you can use the "Delete" button at the top to delete the changes for individual displays.
11-01-2013, 10:09 PM
(10-29-2013 11:08 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-29-2013 10:24 PM)viking Wrote:  For example, if I use CRU, do I select the active EXP0901- EP-HDMI-RX and import the INF file there?
Yes.

(10-29-2013 10:24 PM)viking Wrote:  Will Windows then think that I always have the MEID08E - AE3000 connected and the NVIDIA settings will stick?
If you use CRU, it won't change the ID or the name, but it will import the capabilities so it's like an identical device. That should allow the content type setting to appear in the NVIDIA control panel.

If you install it using the device manager, it will override the ID and the name as well. The device manager process is a bit more complicated. If you're using Windows 8, you have to temporarily disable driver signature enforcement first. Then open the device manager -> right-click the monitor -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... -> Browse for the .inf file -> OK -> Next -> Install this driver software anyway.

(10-29-2013 10:24 PM)viking Wrote:  If I later need to revert back, do I run reset-all.exe?
Yes, or you can use the "Delete" button at the top to delete the changes for individual displays.

Thank you ToastyX!
It worked perfectly. I decided to use CRU as I wanted to keep the name. In this way, I can see when the prokector is online (vs. only the IOGEAR transmitter).

p.s. If I now just could figure out why the IOGEAR transmitter/receiver suddenly started to have problems connecting (I need to power cycle the receiver to get it to work), I would be very happy...
11-02-2013, 09:03 PM (Last edited: 11-02-2013, 09:22 PM by neptune)
Greetings,

New here... and I must admit it's very interesting stuff. I've managed to run my old P2370H at 75hz (instead of stock 60hz), but no luck with OC above (although I've managed to run it at 85Hz with "LCD Reduced" setting, but it resets after few minutes). Vsync moved to 67 FPS...

First of all, I must thank author for this tool, its quite awesome.
2nd... do I need to use HDMI in order to run 1080p at 60hz+ properly? Anything can be done to improve my results?

Thanks!
11-02-2013, 11:13 PM
(11-02-2013 09:03 PM)neptune Wrote:  New here... and I must admit it's very interesting stuff. I've managed to run my old P2370H at 75hz (instead of stock 60hz), but no luck with OC above (although I've managed to run it at 85Hz with "LCD Reduced" setting, but it resets after few minutes). Vsync moved to 67 FPS...
What do you mean when you say it resets? Vsync dropping to 67 FPS would indicate a frame rate problem, not a refresh rate problem. You can also use this to check: http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

(11-02-2013 09:03 PM)neptune Wrote:  2nd... do I need to use HDMI in order to run 1080p at 60hz+ properly? Anything can be done to improve my results?
HDMI and single-link DVI are basically the same on the video card, but the monitor might treat them differently. You also have to patch the driver if you want to go past the 165 MHz pixel clock limit.
11-03-2013, 05:57 AM (Last edited: 11-03-2013, 07:33 AM by neptune)
Thank you for your response.

I've patched the driver. Currently I am using DVI-D, but I have HDMI cable too, just wondering which one will be better for OC.

When I say "it resets" I mean that display says that the mode is not optimum and it goes to the black screen, even though it is completely artifact free, I think it is some kind of a protection system - because I can just turn it off-on and it will work at 85Hz again. Also, that was the first thing I did - I went to testufo.com - but the thing is, I am not sure if it works properly, when I set the refresh rate to 75 it still said that its 60, when I decided to test it, I lowered it to 50... but the test still called it 60. I am unsure.

As for VSYNC, I don't think there is any frame rate problem, because I've tested it in several applications (some of them still got stuck with 60Hz and because of that FPS was at constant 60)

Update: So I've managed to get 77Hz on HDMI. I can maintain 85Hz, but I have to turn off-on monitor every 120 sec in order to make it work... any ideas how to bypass this "protection"? Thanks.
11-03-2013, 08:10 AM
(11-03-2013 05:57 AM)neptune Wrote:  When I say "it resets" I mean that display says that the mode is not optimum and it goes to the black screen, even though it is completely artifact free, I think it is some kind of a protection system - because I can just turn it off-on and it will work at 85Hz again.
Samsung monitors tend to do that. There's no way around it. Usually 77 Hz is the max they'll accept.

(11-03-2013 05:57 AM)neptune Wrote:  Also, that was the first thing I did - I went to testufo.com - but the thing is, I am not sure if it works properly, when I set the refresh rate to 75 it still said that its 60, when I decided to test it, I lowered it to 50... but the test still called it 60. I am unsure.

As for VSYNC, I don't think there is any frame rate problem, because I've tested it in several applications (some of them still got stuck with 60Hz and because of that FPS was at constant 60)
Those are all frame rate issues. Something is limiting the frame rate. If you have a second monitor connected running at 60 Hz, that can mess up the test. If you have an NVIDIA card, make sure GeForce Experience is not installed.

You can check the info section in your monitor's menu to see what refresh rate the monitor is actually receiving.
11-03-2013, 08:47 AM (Last edited: 11-03-2013, 02:26 PM by neptune)
Eh, quite disappointing that the protection can't be turned off. Maybe hardware changes can help? I've checked the service menu, well there's no such option ;(

As for the VSYNC - you are correct, its the frame rate issue...

And yes, well, that was one of the first things i've checked - monitor information, to see if it really works - currently its at 86/77Hz.

Thanks!