Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-16-2021, 12:06 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(09-16-2021 09:48 AM)dvnnyrene Wrote:  Honestly impressed you come in here everyday and answer many of the same questions. In any case, I've got an Asus ROG Swift PG259QN 360hz. I have ULMB turned out, not sure if that is a bad thing, sort of testing it out. In any case, it's set to 240hz, the maximum supported frames with ULMB turned on, I've watched 15 different videos, combed through this forum, read page 1 (especially the part about extension blocks) and have even gone off and tried and tested my own steps display scaling a stretched res. I don't know what the issue is, I don't know if one of the supported resolutions for this monitor, given that it's G-Sync, is 1750x1080, I don't know which resolutions this monitor supports while display scaling and I haven't found anybody else who has successfully done what I am trying to do. I just want a final answer on whether this is possible or not. If I can get a simple "yes". I'll keep trying to figure it out, if there is something I'm missing and the answer is "no", then I'd like to rest knowing it's beyond my control.
What is the problem that you're having?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2021, 12:08 PM
(09-15-2021 02:13 PM)derek10 Wrote:  But not possible 90hz? The reason i ask is because the ReverB G2 VR is capped at 90hz but you will black screen your monitor and headset coming out of or into VR on any custom resolutions. I got a Headless ghost display port that has 4k@17hz default that i made 4k@90 but its annoying anytime u back out of steam or crash to have to change it.
The refresh rate of the first detailed resolution isn't important. Only the resolution part is considered the native resolution.
09-16-2021, 03:56 PM
(09-16-2021 12:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 09:48 AM)dvnnyrene Wrote:  Honestly impressed you come in here everyday and answer many of the same questions. In any case, I've got an Asus ROG Swift PG259QN 360hz. I have ULMB turned out, not sure if that is a bad thing, sort of testing it out. In any case, it's set to 240hz, the maximum supported frames with ULMB turned on, I've watched 15 different videos, combed through this forum, read page 1 (especially the part about extension blocks) and have even gone off and tried and tested my own steps display scaling a stretched res. I don't know what the issue is, I don't know if one of the supported resolutions for this monitor, given that it's G-Sync, is 1750x1080, I don't know which resolutions this monitor supports while display scaling and I haven't found anybody else who has successfully done what I am trying to do. I just want a final answer on whether this is possible or not. If I can get a simple "yes". I'll keep trying to figure it out, if there is something I'm missing and the answer is "no", then I'd like to rest knowing it's beyond my control.
What is the problem that you're having?
The issue is I can't get use display scaling with a stretched res, namely, 1750x1080, but I tried a bunch of different resolutions to see if any would work. At first I was following itsJerian's video, blackscreened a few times. I then moved onto Huncho's video referenced in Jerian's YT vid, then Huncho's Google Doc, testing and trying all of the recommendations if it doesn't work, finally I moved onto Fr33thy's 21 minute video and another 40 minute video... nothing seemed to be working until I followed some of recommendations made by you in regards to the extension blocks. In any case, I just want to know if I am chasing my own tail here.
09-16-2021, 04:10 PM
(09-16-2021 03:56 PM)dvnnyrene Wrote:  The issue is I can't get use display scaling with a stretched res, namely, 1750x1080, but I tried a bunch of different resolutions to see if any would work. At first I was following itsJerian's video, blackscreened a few times. I then moved onto Huncho's video referenced in Jerian's YT vid, then Huncho's Google Doc, testing and trying all of the recommendations if it doesn't work, finally I moved onto Fr33thy's 21 minute video and another 40 minute video... nothing seemed to be working until I followed some of recommendations made by you in regards to the extension blocks. In any case, I just want to know if I am chasing my own tail here.
G-SYNC monitors usually don't support non-native resolutions but you can stretch using GPU scaling.
09-16-2021, 04:59 PM
I signed up just to thank you for making this and letting me do something very specific and also seemingly very stupid: drive my 1280x800 projector at exactly 60 Hz as if it were receiving a 1080p signal.

My AVR normally doesn't know what to do with a native 1280x800 signal, so hitting any buttons on it that would bring up its OSD blanks everything out momentarily while it overrides the "unknown" signal that it was passing through untouched. I tried actually using 1920x1080 and it looks terrible, and 1280x720 works fine but then I'm losing 10% of the screen.

I was using a regular 1280x800 custom resolution in the AMD driver before, but it liked to revert to its own "1280x800 in 1920x1080" default resolution that was blurry due to the bad timing values and also liked to keep changing itself to YCbCr 4:4:4.

I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but this now works great as long as I switch the projector to "Full" scaling. Using the GPU's scaling options didn't look as good, and although AMD's "Center" scaling option + just having the projector zoom in ("Native" aspect) worked fine, that pushed the now working AVR overlays outside the overscan area.

As a bonus, Windows now shows all of the available audio output options over HDMI that were previously missing, PCM>96 kHz, DTS-HD MA, etc. - perhaps due to lack of bandwidth at 1280x800 native?

TL;DR Thanks!!!

Have you got a PayPal donation link or am I going to have to resort to a drive-by Patreon pledge?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-16-2021, 07:31 PM
(09-16-2021 04:10 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 03:56 PM)dvnnyrene Wrote:  The issue is I can't get use display scaling with a stretched res, namely, 1750x1080, but I tried a bunch of different resolutions to see if any would work. At first I was following itsJerian's video, blackscreened a few times. I then moved onto Huncho's video referenced in Jerian's YT vid, then Huncho's Google Doc, testing and trying all of the recommendations if it doesn't work, finally I moved onto Fr33thy's 21 minute video and another 40 minute video... nothing seemed to be working until I followed some of recommendations made by you in regards to the extension blocks. In any case, I just want to know if I am chasing my own tail here.
G-SYNC monitors usually don't support non-native resolutions but you can stretch using GPU scaling.
Yeah, I suspected that would be an issue. Had the same problem with my AW2518H. The manual for the PG259QN says that it supports 1024x768 at 60hz, which would be a 4:3 aspect ratio... the same aspect ratio as 1440x1080. I don't know whether this means anything but, yeah, take a look at the photo and lmk what you think.

On another note, even though in Nvidia Control Panel it says I am display scaling, I don't think that's actually right. I forgot why I had this suspicion but I remember noticing that Nvidia Control Panel was set to display scaling, but I knew for a fact it was GPU scaling and it was wrong. How would I know for sure that I am display scaling?

Also, if my monitor doesn't actually support display scaling, would there be any "noticeable" increase in input delay if I went into Nvidia control panel and used gpu scaling to play at 1750x1080 or 1680x1050?

Thanks in advance.. you're honestly the goat. If you have a Patreon or dono link send it over ! You deserve it.
09-16-2021, 10:04 PM
Good night, I would like to know if you can create a standard resolution of 4480x1080? I recently bought a monitor of the same brand but 1920x1080 and I have a 2560x1080 ultrawide and I'm trying to put the 2 on the nvidia surround, I have an RTX 2060 Super for this
09-16-2021, 11:28 PM
(09-16-2021 10:04 PM)Eddye Wrote:  Good night, I would like to know if you can create a standard resolution of 4480x1080? I recently bought a monitor of the same brand but 1920x1080 and I have a 2560x1080 ultrawide and I'm trying to put the 2 on the nvidia surround, I have an RTX 2060 Super for this
NVIDIA Surround does not support mixed resolutions. All of the monitors have to use the same resolution with the same exact timing parameters.
09-16-2021, 11:29 PM
(09-16-2021 07:31 PM)dvnnyrene Wrote:  Yeah, I suspected that would be an issue. Had the same problem with my AW2518H. The manual for the PG259QN says that it supports 1024x768 at 60hz, which would be a 4:3 aspect ratio... the same aspect ratio as 1440x1080. I don't know whether this means anything but, yeah, take a look at the photo and lmk what you think.

On another note, even though in Nvidia Control Panel it says I am display scaling, I don't think that's actually right. I forgot why I had this suspicion but I remember noticing that Nvidia Control Panel was set to display scaling, but I knew for a fact it was GPU scaling and it was wrong. How would I know for sure that I am display scaling?

Also, if my monitor doesn't actually support display scaling, would there be any "noticeable" increase in input delay if I went into Nvidia control panel and used gpu scaling to play at 1750x1080 or 1680x1050?

Thanks in advance.. you're honestly the goat. If you have a Patreon or dono link send it over ! You deserve it.
G-SYNC monitors do support 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768 @ 60 Hz as fallback resolutions, but nothing else. Display scaling only applies to resolutions in the EDID (shown in CRU). Other resolutions are always GPU scaled. Most monitors report the resolution they're receiving somewhere in the OSD. If it reports the native resolution, then it's GPU scaled. GPU scaling does not add lag.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/ToastyX
PayPal: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/ToastyX

Thanks.
09-16-2021, 11:29 PM
(09-16-2021 04:59 PM)Tupac Wrote:  As a bonus, Windows now shows all of the available audio output options over HDMI that were previously missing, PCM>96 kHz, DTS-HD MA, etc. - perhaps due to lack of bandwidth at 1280x800 native?

TL;DR Thanks!!!

Have you got a PayPal donation link or am I going to have to resort to a drive-by Patreon pledge?
Audio is transmitted during the blanking periods, so a higher blanking allows more audio data.

PayPal: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/ToastyX

Thanks.