Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-07-2021, 02:05 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-07-2021 12:08 AM)JasonMT Wrote:  What's the difference between Exporting the EDID as .EXE and installing it versus just running restart64.exe after making changes?
Exporting an .exe file is meant to provide a way to easily deploy the EDID without needing CRU, and the .exe file can be used in batch files to automate installation. It also includes a vendor-specific method for older Intel GPUs that I can't easily incorporate into CRU because I don't have a way of determining which monitor is connected to which port number. The .exe file will install the same EDID on all instances of the same monitor, while CRU allows editing each monitor separately.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2021, 04:30 PM (Last edited: 11-07-2021, 04:46 PM by JasonMT)
Thanks so much, ToastyX! Another question if you don't mind...

I have been trying to re-establish LPCM 5.1/7.1 audio on Windows 11 with my TV. I used CRU to do the following:
(1) CTA-861 > Audio formats > LPCM > Max channels 8 (7.1).
(2) CTA-861 > Speaker setup > 7.1.

5.1/7.1 will show up under Windows 11 surround sound options, but it just reverts back to Stereo, so obviously this isn't sufficient.

Anyways, I was looking around for other solutions, and came across these instructions from Intel advising on how to add 5.1/7.1 audio to their NUCs and they recommended using CRU but in an indirect manner: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...l-nuc.html
They first recommended saving the EDID using Monitor Asset Manager, then editing the EDID with AW EDID Editor, saving the new EDID, importing the EDID into CRU, and then exporting the EDID from CRU as .EXE and installing the EDID. Why do they recommend using Monitor Asset Manager and AW EDID Editor when CRU can edit the same things, or am I missing something?
11-07-2021, 06:41 PM
(11-07-2021 04:30 PM)JasonMT Wrote:  Thanks so much, ToastyX! Another question if you don't mind...

I have been trying to re-establish LPCM 5.1/7.1 audio on Windows 11 with my TV. I used CRU to do the following:
(1) CTA-861 > Audio formats > LPCM > Max channels 8 (7.1).
(2) CTA-861 > Speaker setup > 7.1.

5.1/7.1 will show up under Windows 11 surround sound options, but it just reverts back to Stereo, so obviously this isn't sufficient.

Anyways, I was looking around for other solutions, and came across these instructions from Intel advising on how to add 5.1/7.1 audio to their NUCs and they recommended using CRU but in an indirect manner: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...l-nuc.html
They first recommended saving the EDID using Monitor Asset Manager, then editing the EDID with AW EDID Editor, saving the new EDID, importing the EDID into CRU, and then exporting the EDID from CRU as .EXE and installing the EDID. Why do they recommend using Monitor Asset Manager and AW EDID Editor when CRU can edit the same things, or am I missing something?
All you need are the audio formats and HDMI data blocks. You don't even need the speaker data block. I don't know why they are complicating the steps with three different programs, but their instructions don't include the HDMI data block, so that can't possibly work.
11-08-2021, 01:41 PM
Hi all,
I have a Dell XPS 9310 with Intel Xe graphics, and I'm trying to connect an external display via HDMI at 4k 60Hz. Despite Intel Graphics Command Centre reporting 4k 60Hz as a valid mode, 60Hz is not present as an option for 4k. Adding 60Hz with CRU doesn't seem to work either - and CRU itself works, because I successfully added 75Hz for 1080p.

My initial thought was of course that there's something wrong with the dock, or the HDMI cable - however, the same screen works beautifully at 4k 60Hz under Ubuntu. Is there any way to fix it? I hear that an older version of Intel Graphics Command had an option to add custom refresh rates, but I can't seem to find it.
11-08-2021, 04:30 PM
(11-08-2021 01:41 PM)XmaX Wrote:  Hi all,
I have a Dell XPS 9310 with Intel Xe graphics, and I'm trying to connect an external display via HDMI at 4k 60Hz. Despite Intel Graphics Command Centre reporting 4k 60Hz as a valid mode, 60Hz is not present as an option for 4k. Adding 60Hz with CRU doesn't seem to work either - and CRU itself works, because I successfully added 75Hz for 1080p.

My initial thought was of course that there's something wrong with the dock, or the HDMI cable - however, the same screen works beautifully at 4k 60Hz under Ubuntu. Is there any way to fix it? I hear that an older version of Intel Graphics Command had an option to add custom refresh rates, but I can't seem to find it.
Adding a resolution that should already exist won't solve the problem. Does the dock support HDMI 2.0? What about connecting the monitor directly to the computer?
11-08-2021, 05:47 PM
(11-08-2021 04:30 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-08-2021 01:41 PM)XmaX Wrote:  Hi all,

Adding a resolution that should already exist won't solve the problem. Does the dock support HDMI 2.0? What about connecting the monitor directly to the computer?
Dock is indeed dual HDMI 2.0, and allegedly supports 2x4k@60Hz. Connecting via USB-C to HDMI cable has the same result (didn't test on Ubuntu though). I just ordered a USB-C to DP cable to see if that works.

The Ubuntu thing working flawlessly throws me off though. It'd be easy to put blame on the hub, but clearly there's something else going on. I've also managed to add a few frequencies between 30 and 50Hz (at 4k) but those don't work at all.
11-08-2021, 06:40 PM
(11-08-2021 05:47 PM)XmaX Wrote:  Dock is indeed dual HDMI 2.0, and allegedly supports 2x4k@60Hz. Connecting via USB-C to HDMI cable has the same result (didn't test on Ubuntu though). I just ordered a USB-C to DP cable to see if that works.

The Ubuntu thing working flawlessly throws me off though. It'd be easy to put blame on the hub, but clearly there's something else going on. I've also managed to add a few frequencies between 30 and 50Hz (at 4k) but those don't work at all.
The problem is the Intel graphics driver for Windows thinks the connection doesn't support HDMI 2.0 for some reason, while the Linux driver might not be doing the same checks. Is this a monitor or a TV? Some TVs have a setting that needs to be enabled for HDMI 2.0.
11-08-2021, 07:26 PM
(11-08-2021 06:40 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-08-2021 05:47 PM)XmaX Wrote:  Dock is indeed dual HDMI 2.0, and allegedly supports 2x4k@60Hz. Connecting via USB-C to HDMI cable has the same result (didn't test on Ubuntu though). I just ordered a USB-C to DP cable to see if that works.

The problem is the Intel graphics driver for Windows thinks the connection doesn't support HDMI 2.0 for some reason, while the Linux driver might not be doing the same checks. Is this a monitor or a TV? Some TVs have a setting that needs to be enabled for HDMI 2.0.
Nope, it's AOC U27P2. There doesn't seem to be any option on the OSD menu to change the HDMI version in use. I thought maybe disabling adaptive sync might help but it didn't.
11-09-2021, 11:11 PM (Last edited: 11-09-2021, 11:13 PM by czesioG)
Hi,
I'm struggling with my HP laptop with LG0490 eDP screen.
The screen was taken from DELL "donor" works ok with native 1920x1080 60.020 hz 6bits color but only with basic Microsoft display driver.
Laptop uses A10 APU and after installing proper adrenaline driver, laptop screen goes blank with backlit only. External monitor works OK.
I tried to override EDID with CRU copying detailed display resolution to extension block using all possible types and seems I succeeded using DisplayID 2.0. But apparently I decided to mess with Adrenaline (it is HP 655 ProBook so not for gaming anyway) to reinstall it with minimal settings and after reinstallation it does not work. I did DDU/AMD cleaning +reset-all.exe +creating EXE (I know it is for Intel but tried anyway) = all voodoo stuff including reinstalling driver via windows update + all above combinations. The strange thing is sometimes I'm able to make it work just using restart.exe then screen is OK but then disappears. Once it even survived next reboot but it is random. It is visible panel-driver issue plus AFAIK Dell was messing with EDID in panels made for them by LG/Phillips but anyway I hoped I could override it with CRU.
Can sb. help me understand what can be the issue apart from broken panel? :-(
It is IPS, 6bit color does not matter for me as it will be used for coding mainly.
11-11-2021, 02:18 AM
(11-09-2021 11:11 PM)czesioG Wrote:  Hi,
I'm struggling with my HP laptop with LG0490 eDP screen.
The screen was taken from DELL "donor" works ok with native 1920x1080 60.020 hz 6bits color but only with basic Microsoft display driver.
Laptop uses A10 APU and after installing proper adrenaline driver, laptop screen goes blank with backlit only. External monitor works OK.
I tried to override EDID with CRU copying detailed display resolution to extension block using all possible types and seems I succeeded using DisplayID 2.0. But apparently I decided to mess with Adrenaline (it is HP 655 ProBook so not for gaming anyway) to reinstall it with minimal settings and after reinstallation it does not work. I did DDU/AMD cleaning +reset-all.exe +creating EXE (I know it is for Intel but tried anyway) = all voodoo stuff including reinstalling driver via windows update + all above combinations. The strange thing is sometimes I'm able to make it work just using restart.exe then screen is OK but then disappears. Once it even survived next reboot but it is random. It is visible panel-driver issue plus AFAIK Dell was messing with EDID in panels made for them by LG/Phillips but anyway I hoped I could override it with CRU.
Can sb. help me understand what can be the issue apart from broken panel? :-(
It is IPS, 6bit color does not matter for me as it will be used for coding mainly.
Running restart.exe disables and enables the graphics driver, so for the few seconds the driver is disabled, it uses the basic display driver. If the EDID isn't correct, the AMD driver might be defaulting to a low resolution which the panel can't display, so try connecting the other monitor and make sure the laptop screen is set to the correct native resolution after adding it with CRU. If it's set to the correct resolution and still won't display anything, then it's probably a hardware problem.