Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
02-04-2022, 06:14 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(02-03-2022 09:14 AM)XAGMNINETY Wrote:  The "half refresh rate" issue still exists on both the 100 and 75 Hz modes - as in, these refresh rates log at 100 and 75 Hz, but present themselves at half their refresh rate. I could still use assistance on getting these to work properly.
The only thing that comes to mind is maybe it's using dynamic refresh rate switching to save power: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...phics.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2022, 05:27 PM
Hi, i'm trying to sort out my problem but with no success. I need cru to fix the max vram at idle problem that my 5700xt has with my 4k 120 hz LG TV. As it's a know problem the only way to fix it for now is to use a very old driver or use a custom resolution. I manage to fix it using cru with a custom resolution of 2560x1440 but i want to be able to use 4k and at least 100 hz. I've been reading through this thread but didn't really find a solution. I know that i have to add a displayid to be able to use more the 65 hz for 4k as editing the detailed resolution from the main screen will not allow me to go over 65 hz. The problem is that even in the main screen when i edit the 4k detailed resolution and add 65 hz, anything over that value will become red and can't be set, will not be displayed in windows. Using displayid 2.0 allows me to go to the desired 4k 120 hz but again does not show up in windows all dough using displayid and adding a custom 2560x1440 resolution works, i mean it is displayed in windows and fixes my problem. Exact model of my tv is 50nano886pb. I have to mention that i can use 4k 120 hz in windows using just the drivers but my vram stays at maximum frequency all the time. Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
02-07-2022, 05:57 PM
(02-07-2022 05:27 PM)SPEED Wrote:  Hi, i'm trying to sort out my problem but with no success. I need cru to fix the max vram at idle problem that my 5700xt has with my 4k 120 hz LG TV. As it's a know problem the only way to fix it for now is to use a very old driver or use a custom resolution. I manage to fix it using cru with a custom resolution of 2560x1440 but i want to be able to use 4k and at least 100 hz. I've been reading through this thread but didn't really find a solution. I know that i have to add a displayid to be able to use more the 65 hz for 4k as editing the detailed resolution from the main screen will not allow me to go over 65 hz. The problem is that even in the main screen when i edit the 4k detailed resolution and add 65 hz, anything over that value will become red and can't be set, will not be displayed in windows. Using displayid 2.0 allows me to go to the desired 4k 120 hz but again does not show up in windows all dough using displayid and adding a custom 2560x1440 resolution works, i mean it is displayed in windows and fixes my problem. Exact model of my tv is 50nano886pb. I have to mention that i can use 4k 120 hz in windows using just the drivers but my vram stays at maximum frequency all the time. Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
The best way to add 4K @ 100 Hz is to add it as a TV resolution in the CTA-861 extension block, but it might already be there if the TV supports 4K @ 120 Hz. The problem should not be happening at 4K @ 120 Hz because TV resolutions already have enough vertical blanking, so the problem is something else. Is the TV the only display or do you have another display connected?
02-07-2022, 06:57 PM
(02-07-2022 05:57 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-07-2022 05:27 PM)SPEED Wrote:  Hi, i'm trying to sort out my problem but with no success. I need cru to fix the max vram at idle problem that my 5700xt has with my 4k 120 hz LG TV. As it's a know problem the only way to fix it for now is to use a very old driver or use a custom resolution. I manage to fix it using cru with a custom resolution of 2560x1440 but i want to be able to use 4k and at least 100 hz. I've been reading through this thread but didn't really find a solution. I know that i have to add a displayid to be able to use more the 65 hz for 4k as editing the detailed resolution from the main screen will not allow me to go over 65 hz. The problem is that even in the main screen when i edit the 4k detailed resolution and add 65 hz, anything over that value will become red and can't be set, will not be displayed in windows. Using displayid 2.0 allows me to go to the desired 4k 120 hz but again does not show up in windows all dough using displayid and adding a custom 2560x1440 resolution works, i mean it is displayed in windows and fixes my problem. Exact model of my tv is 50nano886pb. I have to mention that i can use 4k 120 hz in windows using just the drivers but my vram stays at maximum frequency all the time. Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
The best way to add 4K @ 100 Hz is to add it as a TV resolution in the CTA-861 extension block, but it might already be there if the TV supports 4K @ 120 Hz. The problem should not be happening at 4K @ 120 Hz because TV resolutions already have enough vertical blanking, so the problem is something else. Is the TV the only display or do you have another display connected?

That's my only display, i just said 100 as a minimum, i would definitely like 120 as this are the specs of the tv.
02-07-2022, 08:01 PM
(02-07-2022 06:57 PM)SPEED Wrote:  That's my only display, i just said 100 as a minimum, i would definitely like 120 as this are the specs of the tv.
I just realized 120 Hz has the same vertical blanking as 60 Hz, so that could be the issue. Have you tried DisplayID 1.3? What other changes did you make?
02-08-2022, 09:36 AM
Hey ToastyX,

A while back I had an issue with my windows completely crashing whenever I modified anything on my 4K LG TV EDID, every time I had to disconnect the TV completely, force reboot the PC on another screen, and delete the modified EDID.
You helped me back then by recommending me of installing an older display driver (466.77), which worked great, I was even able to install newer drivers over it without causing any more crash.

Sorry to bring back the subject, but the problem now is that after reinstalling my pc, for some reasons even with drivers 466.77 it doesn't work anymore, the crashes are back.
I did several clean reinstall with display drivers uninstaller and tried so many things, without success. I doubt it's related but I did update my TV firmware recently as well.
I also tried other solutions like AW EDID Editor but it seems like the CEA extension size is too big for it to handle.

Is there anything else I could try to solve the issue? I'm a bit desperate as this is the only solution for me to enable 5.1 LPCM and remove those erroneous default resolutions the tv is reporting Confused
02-08-2022, 02:30 PM (Last edited: 02-08-2022, 03:01 PM by SPEED)
(02-07-2022 08:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-07-2022 06:57 PM)SPEED Wrote:  That's my only display, i just said 100 as a minimum, i would definitely like 120 as this are the specs of the tv.
I just realized 120 Hz has the same vertical blanking as 60 Hz, so that could be the issue. Have you tried DisplayID 1.3? What other changes did you make?

Just tried now, picture 3 and 4. I deleted the 4k at 120 hz from CTA-861 and manually added it in through displayid 1.3 and as can be seen in the pictures, now i don't have the option to chose it in windows settings. If i edit the tv resolution from CTA-861 i only have 2 options, resolution and refresh rate which even if it would work it would not fix my issues as from my knowledge i have to play around with blanking to fix max vram at idle, picture 1. If i'm trying to edit the resolution from the main screen detailed resolutions, i only can go up to 65 hz as anything above that will become red, picture 2. And i even tried that to see if 65 will show up, but no it doesn't.
The only way that i manage to work around is using 2k resolution through displayid2.0, everything works fine apparently, vram goes to idle frequencies, but as this is not the native resolution of the tv, everything looks a bit blurry, picture 5.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-08-2022, 02:55 PM
(02-08-2022 02:30 PM)SPEED Wrote:  Just tried now, picture 3 and 4. I deleted the 4k at 120 hz from CTA-861 and manually added it in through displayid 1.3 and as can be seen in the pictures, now i don't have the option to chose it in windows settings. If i edit the tv resolution from CTA-861 i only have 2 options, resolution and refresh rate which even if it would work it would not fix my issues as from my knowledge i have to play around with blanking to fix max vram at idle, picture 1. If i'm trying to edit the resolution from the main screen detailed resolutions, i only can go up to 65 hz as anything above that will become red, picture 2. And i even tried that to see if 65 will show up, but no it doesn't.
I'm reading that the 5700 XT does not support HDMI 2.1, which means the only way to get 4K @ 120 Hz is with YCbCr 4:2:0, and the only way to get YCbCr 4:2:0 is with TV resolutions, so there's no way to do what you want. HDMI 2.0 is limited to 600 MHz pixel clock, so nothing beyond that will be listed. You might have better luck with a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 active adapter.
02-08-2022, 02:55 PM
(02-08-2022 09:36 AM)JayBee Wrote:  Is there anything else I could try to solve the issue? I'm a bit desperate as this is the only solution for me to enable 5.1 LPCM and remove those erroneous default resolutions the tv is reporting Confused
Did you report the problem to NVIDIA? Driver crashes should be reported to them. What might be happening is Windows Update is automatically upgrading the driver to a newer version after you install it.
02-08-2022, 03:12 PM (Last edited: 02-08-2022, 03:22 PM by SPEED)
(02-08-2022 02:55 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-08-2022 02:30 PM)SPEED Wrote:  Just tried now, picture 3 and 4. I deleted the 4k at 120 hz from CTA-861 and manually added it in through displayid 1.3 and as can be seen in the pictures, now i don't have the option to chose it in windows settings. If i edit the tv resolution from CTA-861 i only have 2 options, resolution and refresh rate which even if it would work it would not fix my issues as from my knowledge i have to play around with blanking to fix max vram at idle, picture 1. If i'm trying to edit the resolution from the main screen detailed resolutions, i only can go up to 65 hz as anything above that will become red, picture 2. And i even tried that to see if 65 will show up, but no it doesn't.
I'm reading that the 5700 XT does not support HDMI 2.1, which means the only way to get 4K @ 120 Hz is with YCbCr 4:2:0, and the only way to get YCbCr 4:2:0 is with TV resolutions, so there's no way to do what you want. HDMI 2.0 is limited to 600 MHz pixel clock, so nothing beyond that will be listed. You might have better luck with a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 active adapter.

Updated my previous post, hmm, i see, at the moment with just the drivers pixel format is indeed 4k YCbCr 4:2:0 at 8 bpc and 120 hz. That's strange, i mean it's kind of a recent video card and it doesn't support HDMI 2.1 as it's been around for years now, before the 5700xt was released. So there's nothing i can do except of course if they fix their drivers or go down to 2k. Either way thank you for all your help.

Update, had a look around and i think i will try the option that you mentioned, DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1. What do you think, will i have to use cru to fix my vram issue or will it work directly without me fiddling around?