Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-18-2022, 04:37 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-18-2022 12:40 AM)cluelessguy Wrote:  The description of the adapter does say it supports VRR. I can even get Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos working. Can I do some edid editing so I could get VRR?
Does the TV support HDMI 2.1 VRR? Keep in mind FreeSync and VRR are different protocols. I'm not sure if any adapters convert FreeSync.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2022, 04:38 AM
(05-17-2022 07:45 PM)hellohell Wrote:  Yes I meant data blocks, after several attempts to add the resolution without success I imported the edid of the tv that I got with Moninfo and it worked, then I realized that the edid of the tv only had 10 data blocks and the edid of Marantz has 11 data blocks so I tried to add the desired resolution again using the Marantz edid and eliminating a block to also be only with 10 data blocks and it worked. So I asked if I can delete one of the blocks that are greyed out that are 4:2:0 capability map and dolby audio can I delete one of these? Or is it better not to delete?
You can delete anything you don't need, but gray just means CRU doesn't have a way to edit it, not that it's disabled. 4:2:0 capability map marks what TV resolutions support YCbCr 4:2:0. If you don't need 4:2:0 resolutions, you can delete it. I'm not sure if anything uses the Dolby audio block. Does adding an extension block with the resolution you want not have any effect?
05-18-2022, 06:17 AM
[/quote]
Does the TV support HDMI 2.1 VRR? Keep in mind FreeSync and VRR are different protocols. I'm not sure if any adapters convert FreeSync.
[/quote]

Yes it does support forum VRR. Can I edit something in the EDID so I can force it?
05-18-2022, 10:07 PM
(05-18-2022 04:38 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-17-2022 07:45 PM)hellohell Wrote:  Yes I meant data blocks, after several attempts to add the resolution without success I imported the edid of the tv that I got with Moninfo and it worked, then I realized that the edid of the tv only had 10 data blocks and the edid of Marantz has 11 data blocks so I tried to add the desired resolution again using the Marantz edid and eliminating a block to also be only with 10 data blocks and it worked. So I asked if I can delete one of the blocks that are greyed out that are 4:2:0 capability map and dolby audio can I delete one of these? Or is it better not to delete?
You can delete anything you don't need, but gray just means CRU doesn't have a way to edit it, not that it's disabled. 4:2:0 capability map marks what TV resolutions support YCbCr 4:2:0. If you don't need 4:2:0 resolutions, you can delete it. I'm not sure if anything uses the Dolby audio block. Does adding an extension block with the resolution you want not have any effect?
I will try to add an extension block with the resolution I want, is the only thing I haven't tried yet. I believe the dolby block is vendor specific audio.Will this tool change the edid permanently? If something goes wrong and if i want to go back to the original edid is it possible? Thanks. I should have asked before I started using it but I'm just curious.
05-19-2022, 01:47 AM
(05-18-2022 10:07 PM)hellohell Wrote:  I will try to add an extension block with the resolution I want, is the only thing I haven't tried yet. I believe the dolby block is vendor specific audio.Will this tool change the edid permanently? If something goes wrong and if i want to go back to the original edid is it possible? Thanks. I should have asked before I started using it but I'm just curious.
Changes are not permanent and are done through software only. You can run reset-all.exe and reboot to restore the original EDID.
05-19-2022, 01:47 AM
(05-18-2022 06:17 AM)cluelessguy Wrote:  Yes it does support forum VRR. Can I edit something in the EDID so I can force it?
The VRR range is defined in the HDMI 2.x data block. If the TV supports HDMI VRR, it should already have a range defined, so something is not supporting the conversion.
05-19-2022, 04:03 AM
(05-19-2022 01:47 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-18-2022 06:17 AM)cluelessguy Wrote:  Yes it does support forum VRR. Can I edit something in the EDID so I can force it?
The VRR range is defined in the HDMI 2.x data block. If the TV supports HDMI VRR, it should already have a range defined, so something is not supporting the conversion.

This is what I'm using for DP alt mode conversion. Could this be the culprit?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-19-2022, 01:05 PM (Last edited: 05-19-2022, 01:07 PM by dutch45612)
Hello friends, first thanks you very much for your software, I used it a lot with my last laptop and really liked it! * Sorry about my English by the way.

Please tell me, what i am trying to achieve this time with another internal display(without success) would be to lower the screen refresh rate to let's say 45, or 30 maybe, it is stucked at 60 by default - marked as digital flat panel in the device manager.

Well i tried a couple of combination of supported resolutions with the lower refresh rate i would like to achieve, rebooted/ restart64.exe numerous times without any success in making it selectable/showed up in the monitor graphic properties. I played with it since a week now and i told me maybe someone with more knowledge in that spectrum could put me on the right track ?

There are many option in that software that i don't really know about and maybe there is something i overlooked that could makes the thing works for me... I would be really grateful if someone could give me a clue, any piece of info would be welcome Smile.

The device is a GPD WIN 3, with an integrated Intel Iris graphic and a "digital flat panel" by the device manager drivers...

Any help is more than appreciated, thanks you very much!
05-19-2022, 04:59 PM
Hello,
I recently encountered problems with my AMD card, this story of VRAM frequency too high while idle.
That led me here, and to the discovery of CRU.
However, I have two questions:
- the maximum pixel clock of my monitor is 330. If I choose CVT-RB, I get 346. If I choose CVT-RB2, I get 332.
Is it better to choose CVT-RB2, and block the pixel clock at 330 (and thus go from 144hz to 142hz) or to choose CVT-RB, even though the pixel clock exceeds that of my monitor?

- Can changing all this cause changes in the display? I know that if we switch to CVT-RB via the AMD software, the colors are degraded for example.

Thanks for your attention, and for your work.
05-19-2022, 09:27 PM
(05-19-2022 04:03 AM)cluelessguy Wrote:  This is what I'm using for DP alt mode conversion. Could this be the culprit?
I don't know the capabilities of that chip. I saw a reply on reddit that says the Synaptics VMM7100 doesn't support VRR. Parade supposedly has a chip that does VRR (PS 196), but I don't know what uses it.