Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
01-26-2023, 12:36 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I found out that the problem is with the latest versions of CRU 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 i sont know about 1.5 but 1.4.2 has no problems
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2023, 04:38 PM
(01-26-2023 12:36 PM)nachoomm Wrote:  I found out that the problem is with the latest versions of CRU 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 i sont know about 1.5 but 1.4.2 has no problems
Again, CRU has no control over what resolution is set in Windows, so the version of CRU can't possibly affect that. CRU doesn't do anything in the background, so once you save the changes, CRU's job is done. Windows is supposed to remember the resolution and refresh rate between boots, so something else is causing that to change.
01-26-2023, 04:38 PM
(01-25-2023 04:13 PM)CroAtTheTop Wrote:  Hey, so I've been trying to reduce horrible ghosting on my 60Hz laptop display (Lenovo 15ACH6), it's so bad that even simple scrolling websites make it "vomit-inducing" while playing games, especially faster paced is nearly impossible.

I've tried to overclock the panel, but only got lucky with Reduced reaching 66Hz, it seems the pixel clock rate is at its maximum with 153MHz, no luck with enabling VRR either.

Is there anything else CRU-wise I could try? At least to get VRR enabled or anything else that would further reduce the ghosting.
There's nothing that will make a bad panel magically better. VRR is not going to reduce ghosting, and it's not possible to add VRR on a laptop screen except on some laptops with AMD GPUs by adding a FreeSync data block in a CTA-861 extension block.
01-26-2023, 04:55 PM
(01-21-2023 10:24 PM)huzzuk Wrote:  Still an issue with monitors connected via adapters from DVI > DP/HDMI.

After now 4 new driver updates, problems still persist regarding only allowing to choose 1024x768 on my 2nd monitor.

Seems to not be a fix for NVIDIA, even though it has worked with older drivers.
This needs to be fixed.

Older monitors don't have specific display drivers, they just use generic ones , so you cant install new drivers for the monitor!

Would CRU be able fix this?
You never posted here before. I have no idea what problem you're talking about. Usually only having 1024x768 means there was a problem reading the EDID from the monitor.
01-26-2023, 11:08 PM
(01-26-2023 04:38 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-26-2023 12:36 PM)nachoomm Wrote:  I found out that the problem is with the latest versions of CRU 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 i sont know about 1.5 but 1.4.2 has no problems
Again, CRU has no control over what resolution is set in Windows, so the version of CRU can't possibly affect that. CRU doesn't do anything in the background, so once you save the changes, CRU's job is done. Windows is supposed to remember the resolution and refresh rate between boots, so something else is causing that to change.
I dont know but didnt happend with 1.4.2 and other versions which are 1.5.1 and .2 my res changed i know isnt a cru thing but its weird
01-31-2023, 05:08 PM (Last edited: 02-01-2023, 03:06 AM by unknown41)
Dual screen 2K and 1080
G32QC
Is there a solution to the black screen after modifying ID serial?
02-01-2023, 08:52 AM
Hi, does this tool support VMs running on ESXi? I added a new detailed resolution of 1728x1080 @ 60 hz. using the Automatic PC timing on a Windows 10 VM. However, even after a reboot, the new resolution never shows up as available for use. There are many other much higher resolutions available but not the one I created using CRU.
02-02-2023, 02:07 PM (Last edited: 02-02-2023, 07:58 PM by Pierrot)
Hello everyone, I have this problem: I have a monitor with resolution 1920x1280 and I want to set it to 1920x823 to play in 21:9.

As you know, I have two ways to do this, through the NVIDIA Control Panel and through CRU, but that's where the problem arises:

•Using the NVIDIA Control Panel, setting the Timing values to Automatic, I will have the resolution of 1920x823 in 21:9, but it will be a bit blurred and not defined like 1920x1280.
However, I solved this problem by leaving, through Manual, the same Timing values in 1920x1280.

In theory, I could have solved, 1920x823 is defined as 1920x1280 and I would have my 21:9, but I would like to use the NVIDIA DLDSR, and to do this I cannot use the custom resolution but CRU, and with the latter the second problem arises:

•Setting the resolution of 1920x823 with CRU, it gives me as if small slightly blurred vertical lines alternate with other lines where you can see well, and the thing is quite noticeable with small text.

Now I would like to obtain the same defined result that I get with NVIDIA, I tried to do as on the control panel that even with the resolution of 1920x823 I inserted the timing values of 1920x1280, but on CRU Bach Porch and Blanking always change automatically when I modify Total and I cannot insert for all the same values as the original resolution, because these two always remain different, and therefore I think that for this reason it comes out staggered, that is, it has nothing to do with the screen and with a different aspect ratio

What can I do? Thank you.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-03-2023, 06:55 PM
(02-02-2023 02:07 PM)Pierrot Wrote:  Hello everyone, I have this problem: I have a monitor with resolution 1920x1280 and I want to set it to 1920x823 to play in 21:9.

As you know, I have two ways to do this, through the NVIDIA Control Panel and through CRU, but that's where the problem arises:

•Using the NVIDIA Control Panel, setting the Timing values to Automatic, I will have the resolution of 1920x823 in 21:9, but it will be a bit blurred and not defined like 1920x1280.
However, I solved this problem by leaving, through Manual, the same Timing values in 1920x1280.

In theory, I could have solved, 1920x823 is defined as 1920x1280 and I would have my 21:9, but I would like to use the NVIDIA DLDSR, and to do this I cannot use the custom resolution but CRU, and with the latter the second problem arises:

•Setting the resolution of 1920x823 with CRU, it gives me as if small slightly blurred vertical lines alternate with other lines where you can see well, and the thing is quite noticeable with small text.

Now I would like to obtain the same defined result that I get with NVIDIA, I tried to do as on the control panel that even with the resolution of 1920x823 I inserted the timing values of 1920x1280, but on CRU Bach Porch and Blanking always change automatically when I modify Total and I cannot insert for all the same values as the original resolution, because these two always remain different, and therefore I think that for this reason it comes out staggered, that is, it has nothing to do with the screen and with a different aspect ratio

What can I do? Thank you.
The only reason there would be blur is if there's scaling involved. What monitor has a resolution of 1920x1280? Your last statement doesn't make sense. The total is the active resolution + blanking, and the blanking is the front porch + sync width + back porch, so the values are supposed to change. NVIDIA only shows the total and not the back porch or blanking, but there is no difference because you only need one of them to calculate the other two. The resolution you created with NVIDIA is a GPU-scaled resolution because the resolution at the top doesn't match the active resolution that is sent to the monitor. CRU can't create GPU-scaled resolutions, so the active resolution is sent to the monitor unless GPU scaling is enabled. That means if GPU scaling is not enabled, the blur is coming from the monitor. The monitor needs to be set to not scale the image. If the monitor is set to not scale, then maybe it can't display an odd number of lines correctly, so try an even number. Another option is to enable GPU scaling in the NVIDIA control panel and set it to aspect or no scaling, but if you just want a GPU-controlled resolution, you can use this instead of CRU: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE
02-03-2023, 06:56 PM
(02-01-2023 08:52 AM)bgwallace Wrote:  Hi, does this tool support VMs running on ESXi? I added a new detailed resolution of 1728x1080 @ 60 hz. using the Automatic PC timing on a Windows 10 VM. However, even after a reboot, the new resolution never shows up as available for use. There are many other much higher resolutions available but not the one I created using CRU.
The graphics driver needs to support EDID overrides. If the VM is simulating a GPU and the graphics driver doesn't support EDID overrides, then CRU won't have any effect. If the VM is using GPU passthrough with an AMD/NVIDIA/Intel GPU, then it should be possible with the appropriate driver installed.