Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-02-2023, 04:32 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-01-2023 08:07 AM)bobo Wrote:  Hi Toasty.

Am using CRU to set a custom resolution on my old crt tv. Using an hdmi to av converter(DISPLAY ID:LTM0000) from my laptop with an intel igpu.

when I set the resolution and switch to it the text is a bit faded and the image gets blurry. I tried all the timings and tried copying the default timing and just modifying the resolution but it all has the same effect.

The only way to get it to display correctly is setting a high refresh rate then choosing the default one in the display settings. now I can live with that but some games opt in for the higher refresh rate with no way of changing it which also has frame skipping and the blurriness.

Thanks in advance.
The only reasons it would be blurry are if there is scaling or some kind of conversion going on. Keep in mind HDMI supports both YCbCr and RGB, which also has limited and full range, so changing that could affect the image. What adapter are you using? What resolutions and refresh rates are you trying to set?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2023, 04:32 AM
(02-23-2023 09:34 PM)BigChungus0001 Wrote:  Every time I boot up in Windows 10 it starts up at 640x480@60 resolution and I need to put a restart.exe process (it takes some time to open) in my shell:startup folder to go back to 1920x1080@120, is there any way to fix this so I don't have to wait for the restart.exe to run?
That shouldn't happen unless there's a graphics driver bug. Try disabling fast startup: https://www.howtogeek.com/856514/how-to-...indows-10/
03-02-2023, 02:35 PM
(03-02-2023 04:32 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-01-2023 08:07 AM)bobo Wrote:  Hi Toasty.

Am using CRU to set a custom resolution on my old crt tv. Using an hdmi to av converter(DISPLAY ID:LTM0000) from my laptop with an intel igpu.

when I set the resolution and switch to it the text is a bit faded and the image gets blurry. I tried all the timings and tried copying the default timing and just modifying the resolution but it all has the same effect.

The only way to get it to display correctly is setting a high refresh rate then choosing the default one in the display settings. now I can live with that but some games opt in for the higher refresh rate with no way of changing it which also has frame skipping and the blurriness.

Thanks in advance.
The only reasons it would be blurry are if there is scaling or some kind of conversion going on. Keep in mind HDMI supports both YCbCr and RGB, which also has limited and full range, so changing that could affect the image. What adapter are you using? What resolutions and refresh rates are you trying to set?

No scaling is applied not sure about conversion.
I tried the setting (RGB,full) in the intel GCC and it made a tad bit better but not the full quality am getting with setting it like the attached image.

Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071L4JWWB/?tag=mtests-20#ad
Resolution: 960*540@60 although it happens with any custom set resolution.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-02-2023, 11:46 PM
(03-02-2023 04:32 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-23-2023 09:34 PM)BigChungus0001 Wrote:  Every time I boot up in Windows 10 it starts up at 640x480@60 resolution and I need to put a restart.exe process (it takes some time to open) in my shell:startup folder to go back to 1920x1080@120, is there any way to fix this so I don't have to wait for the restart.exe to run?
That shouldn't happen unless there's a graphics driver bug. Try disabling fast startup: https://www.howtogeek.com/856514/how-to-...indows-10/

Yeah seemed to be the fast startup that was screwing up the resolution, thanks ToastyX. Smile
03-03-2023, 03:50 AM
(03-02-2023 02:35 PM)bobo Wrote:  No scaling is applied not sure about conversion.
You say that, but then you show me both are happening. The screenshot shows 960x540 is being scaled to 1920x1080, so you need to disable GPU scaling by changing the scaling to display scaling in Intel's control panel. Secondly, that adapter is a signal converter, and composite video is intended for 480i/576i. Higher resolutions will not look good no matter what.
03-03-2023, 01:22 PM
(03-03-2023 03:50 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-02-2023 02:35 PM)bobo Wrote:  No scaling is applied not sure about conversion.
You say that, but then you show me both are happening. The screenshot shows 960x540 is being scaled to 1920x1080, so you need to disable GPU scaling by changing the scaling to display scaling in Intel's control panel. Secondly, that adapter is a signal converter, and composite video is intended for 480i/576i. Higher resolutions will not look good no matter what.
My bad I guess I understood you wrong but when its like the pic the display is clear but when I make the active res the same as the desktop it goes blurry.

I'll try to mess with IGCC and scaling. what about the conversion that you mentioned earlier where do I turn it off?

Thanks again man
03-04-2023, 12:16 AM
UPDATE: still getting 640x480 sometimes, I dunno what it can be.
03-04-2023, 10:37 PM
I have a problem, in short: making any edits using CRU changes the Windows recommended resolution and breaks 21:9 VSR.

I own a 29WK600 and I've been using CRU since forever to extend its Freesync range and delete some useless resolutions that cause trouble in certain games, and enabling VSR always added 5120x2160 & 3440x1440 to the list of available resolutions.

Now I upgraded my graphics card from an RX 580 to a 5700 XT, and VSR doesn't add these resolutions anymore, only 16:9 ones up to 3840x2160 if I use the same EDID as before. Meanwhile Windows shows 1920x1080 as the recommended resolution instead of 2560x1080. (using a clean Windows install after the upgrade, by the way)

So I reset all settings and VSR works again, and the Windows recommended resolution is 2560x1080 as it should be. I noticed that if I make ANY edits at all using CRU the recommended resolution changes to 1920x1080 and 21:9 VSR doesn't work (yes I tried using SRE too but it didn't add the resolutions back either).

I did manage to hex edit the EDID directly in the registry instead of using CRU and the native resolution was unchanged, so I was wondering which bytes determine the resolution recommended by Windows? I read that the topmost "detailed" resolution is used as the recommended one, but it's already 2560x1080 there, yet Windows insists on using the wrong one.
03-06-2023, 03:08 AM
Hello.

Using CRU to force enable 7.1 audio to my connected Samsung TV, which is not reporting its capabilities correctly.

After running CRU and then the restart64.exe everything works perfectly, but after restarting Windows the 7.1 tweak is gone.

Tried running reset-all.exe, restarted, ran CRU/restart.exe, 7.1 working again, but gone after next Windows reboot.

Tried deleting all supported audio formats except 7.1, that worked after the restart.exe but after Windows reboot all formats were back and 7.1 was gone again.

Windows 10 (Latest Patch) - Asus 6900XT GPU for HDMI connection - Samsung QN85B for Monitor/TV.

If anybody has any advice, or can tell me something I'm missing. Do I need to put one of the restart.exe programs as startup so the 7.1 will stay enabled after Windows restart? Or is there another way?

Thanks.
03-06-2023, 12:06 PM
Hi ToastyX,

After using CRU a couple weeks ago to try and change my refresh rate from 144Hz to 60Hz and learning that my laptop display doesn't support it... and after reverting back using reset-all.exe, my laptop that has an internal "Intel® UHD Graphics 630" GPU and an internal "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 with Max-Q Design" GPU now only shows the Nvidia one as active in Device Manager. If I choose to "show hidden devices", the Intel GPU shows up with the following message in Properties: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.".

I've scanned for new hardware with no luck. After choosing to "uninstall" the device, the Intel GPU no longer shows up even with "show hidden devices". Using Intel's scan for drivers website, it no longer finds the GPU. Downloading and running the "Intel graphics driver" software for that GPU also fails to find anything.

Any suggestion on how to get the Intel GPU back? Using the Nvidia GPU to run my desktop is causing some major power draws and fan activity.

Thx.