Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-06-2023, 03:44 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-06-2023 12:06 PM)HighTechGeek Wrote:  Hi ToastyX,

After using CRU a couple weeks ago to try and change my refresh rate from 144Hz to 60Hz and learning that my laptop display doesn't support it... and after reverting back using reset-all.exe, my laptop that has an internal "Intel® UHD Graphics 630" GPU and an internal "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 with Max-Q Design" GPU now only shows the Nvidia one as active in Device Manager. If I choose to "show hidden devices", the Intel GPU shows up with the following message in Properties: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.".

I've scanned for new hardware with no luck. After choosing to "uninstall" the device, the Intel GPU no longer shows up even with "show hidden devices". Using Intel's scan for drivers website, it no longer finds the GPU. Downloading and running the "Intel graphics driver" software for that GPU also fails to find anything.

Any suggestion on how to get the Intel GPU back? Using the Nvidia GPU to run my desktop is causing some major power draws and fan activity.

Thx.
Running reset-all.exe wouldn't cause this. You did something else that you didn't mention. I don't see how the Intel GPU could be disconnected if you're using the internal display.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2023, 03:45 PM
(03-06-2023 03:08 AM)NGHTCRWLR Wrote:  Hello.

Using CRU to force enable 7.1 audio to my connected Samsung TV, which is not reporting its capabilities correctly.

After running CRU and then the restart64.exe everything works perfectly, but after restarting Windows the 7.1 tweak is gone.

Tried running reset-all.exe, restarted, ran CRU/restart.exe, 7.1 working again, but gone after next Windows reboot.

Tried deleting all supported audio formats except 7.1, that worked after the restart.exe but after Windows reboot all formats were back and 7.1 was gone again.

Windows 10 (Latest Patch) - Asus 6900XT GPU for HDMI connection - Samsung QN85B for Monitor/TV.

If anybody has any advice, or can tell me something I'm missing. Do I need to put one of the restart.exe programs as startup so the 7.1 will stay enabled after Windows restart? Or is there another way?

Thanks.
You shouldn't need to run restart.exe after every boot. That sounds like a driver bug that should be reported to AMD. Try disabling fast startup: https://www.howtogeek.com/856514/how-to-...indows-10/
03-06-2023, 03:45 PM
(03-04-2023 10:37 PM)Parallellines Wrote:  I have a problem, in short: making any edits using CRU changes the Windows recommended resolution and breaks 21:9 VSR.

I own a 29WK600 and I've been using CRU since forever to extend its Freesync range and delete some useless resolutions that cause trouble in certain games, and enabling VSR always added 5120x2160 & 3440x1440 to the list of available resolutions.

Now I upgraded my graphics card from an RX 580 to a 5700 XT, and VSR doesn't add these resolutions anymore, only 16:9 ones up to 3840x2160 if I use the same EDID as before. Meanwhile Windows shows 1920x1080 as the recommended resolution instead of 2560x1080. (using a clean Windows install after the upgrade, by the way)

So I reset all settings and VSR works again, and the Windows recommended resolution is 2560x1080 as it should be. I noticed that if I make ANY edits at all using CRU the recommended resolution changes to 1920x1080 and 21:9 VSR doesn't work (yes I tried using SRE too but it didn't add the resolutions back either).

I did manage to hex edit the EDID directly in the registry instead of using CRU and the native resolution was unchanged, so I was wondering which bytes determine the resolution recommended by Windows? I read that the topmost "detailed" resolution is used as the recommended one, but it's already 2560x1080 there, yet Windows insists on using the wrong one.
The first detailed resolution is supposed to be the recommended resolution. Export a file with the original EDID, and another file with the changes you wanted to make, and post the files here. What exactly did you change in the registry?
03-06-2023, 03:46 PM
(03-03-2023 01:22 PM)bobo Wrote:  My bad I guess I understood you wrong but when its like the pic the display is clear but when I make the active res the same as the desktop it goes blurry.

I'll try to mess with IGCC and scaling. what about the conversion that you mentioned earlier where do I turn it off?

Thanks again man
The adapter IS a converter, and composite video is a low quality connection meant for low resolutions.
03-06-2023, 09:46 PM
(03-06-2023 03:44 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-06-2023 12:06 PM)HighTechGeek Wrote:  Hi ToastyX,

After using CRU a couple weeks ago to try and change my refresh rate from 144Hz to 60Hz and learning that my laptop display doesn't support it... and after reverting back using reset-all.exe, my laptop that has an internal "Intel® UHD Graphics 630" GPU and an internal "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 with Max-Q Design" GPU now only shows the Nvidia one as active in Device Manager. If I choose to "show hidden devices", the Intel GPU shows up with the following message in Properties: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.".

I've scanned for new hardware with no luck. After choosing to "uninstall" the device, the Intel GPU no longer shows up even with "show hidden devices". Using Intel's scan for drivers website, it no longer finds the GPU. Downloading and running the "Intel graphics driver" software for that GPU also fails to find anything.

Any suggestion on how to get the Intel GPU back? Using the Nvidia GPU to run my desktop is causing some major power draws and fan activity.

Thx.
Running reset-all.exe wouldn't cause this. You did something else that you didn't mention. I don't see how the Intel GPU could be disconnected if you're using the internal display.
You are right that reset-all.exe didn't cause it because it was happening before I ran reset-all.exe. I thought reset-all.exe would restore it, but it didn't. The only other thing I did that I can think of was when I first ran CRU.exe, there were a total of 2 listings in "Detailed Resolutions" that were identical. It was one of those that I changed from 144Hz to 60Hz. When I was trying to get things back to original settings, I deleted one of those entries, so there is only one now. Would that cause this issue? If so, should I try to create a second entry identical to the first?

I didn't make any registry changes or open my laptop or connect any external monitors or anything like that. I didn't make any changes in Device Manager until after this happened (as I described) and the only thing I did then was uninstall the hidden device in the hopes I could rescan for it or re-install it. But before that point (when it was hidden), it was already saying it was disconnected and the system wasn't recognizing it.

What do you think? Does your software adjust the registry at all? Could there be a missing entry or something? Thx
03-07-2023, 12:31 AM
(03-06-2023 03:45 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-06-2023 03:08 AM)NGHTCRWLR Wrote:  Hello.

Using CRU to force enable 7.1 audio to my connected Samsung TV, which is not reporting its capabilities correctly.

After running CRU and then the restart64.exe everything works perfectly, but after restarting Windows the 7.1 tweak is gone.

Tried running reset-all.exe, restarted, ran CRU/restart.exe, 7.1 working again, but gone after next Windows reboot.

Tried deleting all supported audio formats except 7.1, that worked after the restart.exe but after Windows reboot all formats were back and 7.1 was gone again.

Windows 10 (Latest Patch) - Asus 6900XT GPU for HDMI connection - Samsung QN85B for Monitor/TV.

If anybody has any advice, or can tell me something I'm missing. Do I need to put one of the restart.exe programs as startup so the 7.1 will stay enabled after Windows restart? Or is there another way?

Thanks.
You shouldn't need to run restart.exe after every boot. That sounds like a driver bug that should be reported to AMD. Try disabling fast startup: https://www.howtogeek.com/856514/how-to-...indows-10/

Thanks for the reply, Toasty.

I forgot to mention I had read your suggestion of turning off Fast Startup to another poster, so I had tried that, but doesn't solve this issue.

I have found that if on a clean boot into Windows I just simply change the refresh rate to anything, it seems to load in the EDID override perfectly.

So for now, and if this helps anybody else, I'm using QRes.exe and a powershell script to change the refresh rate to 60 and then back to 120 automatically at startup and this seems to activate the CRU settings and 7.1 audio for me with less fuss than having to do restart.exe.
03-08-2023, 11:58 AM
(03-06-2023 09:46 PM)HighTechGeek Wrote:  You are right that reset-all.exe didn't cause it because it was happening before I ran reset-all.exe. I thought reset-all.exe would restore it, but it didn't. The only other thing I did that I can think of was when I first ran CRU.exe, there were a total of 2 listings in "Detailed Resolutions" that were identical. It was one of those that I changed from 144Hz to 60Hz. When I was trying to get things back to original settings, I deleted one of those entries, so there is only one now. Would that cause this issue? If so, should I try to create a second entry identical to the first?

I didn't make any registry changes or open my laptop or connect any external monitors or anything like that. I didn't make any changes in Device Manager until after this happened (as I described) and the only thing I did then was uninstall the hidden device in the hopes I could rescan for it or re-install it. But before that point (when it was hidden), it was already saying it was disconnected and the system wasn't recognizing it.

What do you think? Does your software adjust the registry at all? Could there be a missing entry or something? Thx
Nothing CRU does could cause this. CRU doesn't touch anything related to the GPU. CRU only creates EDID overrides for the monitor in the registry, and running reset-all.exe removes any EDID overrides. The only thing I can think of is running restart.exe restarts the graphics driver, same as disabling and enabling the GPU in Device Manager, but that shouldn't disconnect the GPU and make it undetectable. It sounds like switchable graphics was disabled somehow, which usually isn't possible unless your laptop specifically has a feature that allows you to disable it through the BIOS/UEFI settings or some other method. Check Device Manager and see if the GPU moved to other devices. Try downloading the Intel and NVIDIA graphics drivers for your laptop and install them after using DDU to completely remove the old drivers: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-DDU-
03-08-2023, 05:08 PM
(03-06-2023 03:45 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-04-2023 10:37 PM)Parallellines Wrote:  I have a problem, in short: making any edits using CRU changes the Windows recommended resolution and breaks 21:9 VSR.

I own a 29WK600 and I've been using CRU since forever to extend its Freesync range and delete some useless resolutions that cause trouble in certain games, and enabling VSR always added 5120x2160 & 3440x1440 to the list of available resolutions.

Now I upgraded my graphics card from an RX 580 to a 5700 XT, and VSR doesn't add these resolutions anymore, only 16:9 ones up to 3840x2160 if I use the same EDID as before. Meanwhile Windows shows 1920x1080 as the recommended resolution instead of 2560x1080. (using a clean Windows install after the upgrade, by the way)

So I reset all settings and VSR works again, and the Windows recommended resolution is 2560x1080 as it should be. I noticed that if I make ANY edits at all using CRU the recommended resolution changes to 1920x1080 and 21:9 VSR doesn't work (yes I tried using SRE too but it didn't add the resolutions back either).

I did manage to hex edit the EDID directly in the registry instead of using CRU and the native resolution was unchanged, so I was wondering which bytes determine the resolution recommended by Windows? I read that the topmost "detailed" resolution is used as the recommended one, but it's already 2560x1080 there, yet Windows insists on using the wrong one.
The first detailed resolution is supposed to be the recommended resolution. Export a file with the original EDID, and another file with the changes you wanted to make, and post the files here. What exactly did you change in the registry?

These are my usual edits:
[Image: N6TIWO9.png]

This is what the resolutions look like on Windows before and after any CRU edits:
[Image: DIgYPSl.png]

The "Test" EDIDs are what I mentioned in my other post. For them, I only changed the value for the lower freesync limit and nothing else, just in three different ways:

1. Changed the 40hz lower bound to 30hz directly in CRU and exported the EDID
2. Hex edited the value in the default EDID and imported the file with CRU
3. Applied the hex edited EDID directly in the registry without using CRU

I thought CRU would only change the one byte responsible for the lower freesync limit and the checksum, but it made a bunch of other changes as you can see here (left side is the hex edited EDID and right is the CRU export). One or more of these changes break the resolutions available in Windows.

[Image: HUP6sKe.png]

I expected tests #2 and #3 to yield identical results, but actually #2 was the same as #1. I rebooted and exported the previously imported hex edited EDID using CRU and the output file was the same as the direct CRU edit, byte for byte (I imagined that CRU would just accept the file and apply it directly, but instead it made edits).

The only way I could apply my hex edited EDID correctly was by adding it in the registry manually without CRU.

I tried hex editing my other usual tweaks but I couldn't figure out the rest of the file structure so I hoped you could help me with that. All I need is to extend the Freesync range and remove any resolutions above 2560x1080 (or at least just 3840x2160 I suppose, since 3840x1620 has the same aspect ratio as my native one) from the Windows selection menu while keeping the same recommended one.

Attached File(s)
.bin  Default EDID.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 121)
.bin  Usual Tweaks - Exported with CRU.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 117)
.bin  Test EDID - Hex Edited.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 105)
.reg  Test EDID - Hex Edited REG.reg (Size: 1.95 KB / Downloads: 99)
.bin  Test EDID - Exported with CRU.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 105)
03-08-2023, 06:36 PM (Last edited: 03-08-2023, 06:37 PM by ToastyX)
(03-08-2023 05:08 PM)Parallellines Wrote:  These are my usual edits:
https://i.imgur.com/N6TIWO9.png

This is what the resolutions look like on Windows before and after any CRU edits:
https://i.imgur.com/DIgYPSl.png

The "Test" EDIDs are what I mentioned in my other post. For them, I only changed the value for the lower freesync limit and nothing else, just in three different ways:

1. Changed the 40hz lower bound to 30hz directly in CRU and exported the EDID
2. Hex edited the value in the default EDID and imported the file with CRU
3. Applied the hex edited EDID directly in the registry without using CRU

I thought CRU would only change the one byte responsible for the lower freesync limit and the checksum, but it made a bunch of other changes as you can see here (left side is the hex edited EDID and right is the CRU export). One or more of these changes break the resolutions available in Windows.

https://i.imgur.com/HUP6sKe.png

I expected tests #2 and #3 to yield identical results, but actually #2 was the same as #1. I rebooted and exported the previously imported hex edited EDID using CRU and the output file was the same as the direct CRU edit, byte for byte (I imagined that CRU would just accept the file and apply it directly, but instead it made edits).

The only way I could apply my hex edited EDID correctly was by adding it in the registry manually without CRU.

I tried hex editing my other usual tweaks but I couldn't figure out the rest of the file structure so I hoped you could help me with that. All I need is to extend the Freesync range and remove any resolutions above 2560x1080 (or at least just 3840x2160 I suppose, since 3840x1620 has the same aspect ratio as my native one) from the Windows selection menu while keeping the same recommended one.
CRU always sets certain things the same way for simplicity. The only major difference I see is CRU doesn't include the range limits by default except for FreeSync with DisplayPort. Does including the range limits using the "Edit..." button at the top fix the problem? This shouldn't be required except to define the FreeSync range with DisplayPort. I would consider this a driver bug because that shouldn't affect the recommended resolution, and if it were actually using that information, the 4K resolutions wouldn't be available. For HDMI, it's supposed to use the information in the HDMI data blocks, and for HDMI FreeSync, it's supposed to use the FreeSync data block.
03-08-2023, 09:40 PM (Last edited: 03-08-2023, 10:34 PM by MightyEagle82)
Hi.

I want to use the app in WinPE which does not have 32-bit subsystem. Could you build 64-bit version of the app?
I really need it. I have bought a laptop with UHD display but it looks like Windows 10 PE does not support it. And by default it uses 800x600 or 1024x768 that is not enough for applications which I run. So CRU would help me a lot with this.