Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-10-2023, 07:53 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-09-2023 10:50 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-09-2023 04:37 PM)Parallellines Wrote:  Including it still broke the resolutions. As I said, it happens with any edits whatsoever and I only used the Freesync range value as a quick example.

I also took the opportunity to do another test: I reset everything and simply imported the default, untouched EDID using CRU. That still broke the resolutions somehow.

And yes, the hex edit isn't special, but shouldn't CRU only touch the absolutely required bytes instead of messing with the rest of the file structure? These issues stem from those other edited bytes.
It's not that simple. Every behavior in CRU is done for a reason. CRU was not originally meant to be a complete EDID editor, so certain values are always set a certain way; otherwise I would have to design a UI that allows users to edit fields that have no effect. I also have workarounds for certain driver bugs and invalid values so users don't have to worry about that stuff.

CRU 2.0 will be redesigned to be a more complete EDID editor, but there are still some cases where it may not be possible to preserve the original data, such as cases where the data has invalid parts that cannot be properly represented, which CRU 1.x currently fixes or removes automatically. I'm currently trying to think up a design that would allow CRU to handle and report all these situations without complicating the UI, and that significantly complicates the implementation.

I can explain every difference highlighted in your screenshot:

Bytes 0x23-0x25 (25 6b 80 / 25 4b 00): This is the list of established resolutions. CRU does not include certain resolutions that are ignored by Windows graphics drivers because I didn't want to clutter the list with resolutions that have no effect in Windows. In this case, the CRU version does not include 832x624 @ 75 Hz and 1152x870 @ 75 Hz because those resolutions are meant for old Macs. CRU 2.0 will include the complete list.

1e 4e 31 / 80 0e 21 (4 instances): This is the image size fields in each detailed resolution. This information is not used for anything in Windows, so CRU just sets a generic value (resolution รท 4). The reason it uses a generic value instead of preserving the original value is because if you add a new detailed resolution, there is no value to preserve, and I didn't want to add image size fields just to have people ask what they should put in there because it doesn't matter. I also wanted the result to be consistent if I deleted and recreated a resolution. For CRU 2.0, I want to allow editing the image size fields, but I'm still debating how to handle this because I also want to be able to copy and paste between different types of detailed resolutions, some of which might not have image size fields, such as DisplayID detailed resolutions.

Bytes 0x5a-0x7d: These are the last two detailed resolution or descriptor slots. The only reason this part is different is because CRU doesn't include the range limits by default except for DisplayPort monitors with FreeSync. This is done because it uses up a detailed resolution slot and can cause custom resolutions to be ignored if the driver uses this information. For instance, AMD listens to the max pixel clock for non-HDMI connections, but not NVIDIA. If you include the range limits, then this part should be the same in this case. CRU 2.0 will list descriptors separately and preserve them.

Byte 0x83 (f1 vs. 70): This is in the CTA-861 extension block. The first digit is four flags: YCbCr 4:2:2, YCbCr 4:4:4, basic audio, and underscan for PC resolutions. The only difference is CRU does not set the underscan flag unless it's also set in a video capability data block because Windows does not use this information. The second digit is the total number of native detailed resolutions. This is the only other difference I can think of that might be triggering the bug. I intentionally set it to 0, which means undefined, to make sure only the first detailed resolution is considered the native resolution. Technically 1 would mean the same thing, so if setting the second digit to 1 fixes the problem, then that's definitely an AMD driver bug, and I will have to force it to be 1 instead to work around the problem. This is a good example of why CRU needs to set certain values because otherwise the user would have to deal with this manually.

Bytes 0x7f and 0xff: These are checksums that are automatically calculated.

(03-09-2023 04:37 PM)Parallellines Wrote:  On a related note, I forgot to mention that I had a weird issue with my 580. Whenever the monitor would wake from sleep the entire screen would be dim except for the mouse cursor and the fix was to change the resolution or press CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B. Again, that only happened when I made edits with CRU and I just dealt with it for years and didn't think much about it. This doesn't happen anymore with the 5700XT.
This is a different AMD driver bug that doesn't seem to be triggered by anything particular in the EDID. I think 19.11.2 was the last driver without the bug.

I appreciate the explanation. Changing the number of detailed resolutions from 0 to 1 fixed the issue, so it's an AMD driver bug indeed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2023, 10:14 AM (Last edited: 03-10-2023, 10:19 AM by thezagreus)
Hello, i have RX 6700XT, my monitor successfully overclocking to 85 Hz on 1280x960. But I can not overclock it to 80 Hz on 1920x1080.

Previously, I had nvidia (gtx 1060) and I did it successfully (overclock 80hz on FHD). Now, I can't do it. Is this a AMD driver issue?

My max results on FHD on rx6700xt - 71hz. (AMD Adrenalin does not allow you to create another profile. Error: display does not support)

P.S: I connected my GTX 1060 with a DVI-D TO DVI-D cable. Now, i connected my RX 6700XT a HDMI to DVI-D. Idea
AMD DRIVER: 23.2.1
03-10-2023, 03:28 PM
(03-09-2023 12:00 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-08-2023 09:40 PM)MightyEagle82 Wrote:  I want to use the app in WinPE which does not have 32-bit subsystem. Could you build 64-bit version of the app?
I really need it. I have bought a laptop with UHD display but it looks like Windows 10 PE does not support it. And by default it uses 800x600 or 1024x768 that is not enough for applications which I run. So CRU would help me a lot with this.
I can't make a 64-bit version until 2.x because the compiler and frameworks I used to create 1.x are too old. CRU would not have an effect in such an environment anyway. CRU needs a graphics driver that supports EDID overrides.

It sounds strange for me because I use only one WinPE image (built from Windows 10 ADK without any drivers) on 2 laptop: one with FHD display and another with UHD display. On the first one native resolution is set after the boot, but on the second one - low (possible 800x600). Maybe it depends on UEFI of specific laptop. But I'm not an expert in this field.
03-10-2023, 05:16 PM
is there a way to save and load custom resolutions of the amd driver? without driver restart

03-12-2023, 07:37 AM (Last edited: 03-12-2023, 10:20 AM by ahantos)
Hey Toasty,

I have a pretty serious problem that I've been trying to figure out for the past few days, and I'm really hoping you can help.

Background: ASUS G533ZW (3070ti) laptop with a 240hz refresh rate display in it. Windows update dropped a few days agi, and suddenly, after one year of everything being fine, my refresh rate options completely disappeared. Can only see 60hz in Windows, and in NVIDIA as well. If I try to force a higher hz in NVIDIA custom resolutions, it goes up to 160, and after that, the monitor goes black when I try it. I tried cleaning the system of drivers(ddu) and reinstalling them, as well as performing a clean install (format+reinstall windows), but the issue still persists.

I found your CRU tool and hoped to somehow be able to force the system to run at 240hz. I can confirm that I have the right values in the displayblock that I have (2560x1440 @ 240hz), however, I can't set a custom detailed resolution to anything above 162hz, as the number turns red. I tried creating custom extension blocks, tried importing one as the sticky post says, but nothing works, as the values are there and actually what I'd want them to be, yet I still can't set the hz in the resolution that high. The detailed resolution tab states as well: Range limits 60-240hz, 389-389khz, 1070mhz.

Enclosed I'm attaching the EDID file.

If you have any idea of what could be wrong, I'd really appreciate the help!

Attached File(s)
.bin  EDID.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 81)
03-12-2023, 09:37 AM
Hi. Could anyone help?

I have a Lenovo L27q-10 27" monitor (default 60Hz) and an Asus K53SV laptop with Intel HD Graphics 3000. When I connect the monitor via HDMI, I get a strange resolution of 1920x1200 by default...

When I connected this monitor to my friend's laptop (Dell G3) this laptop immediately detected the native resolution of 2560x1440.

I tried using the CRU to set 2560x1440 resolution (60Hz at first) on my laptop, but I get a message about returning to 2560x1440@60Hz(eee?) or the message "Power Saving Mode".

The only thing I managed to do was to set it to 2560x1440@55Hz or 54Hz but the monitor sometimes disappears for a second.

Currently I am forced to use 1920x1080@76Hz with Automatic PC setting (using EDID.exe) - maximum for this resolution. Later I also set 76Hz for my laptop's matrix (using the second EDID), so now I have 76Hz on both the monitor (HDMI) and the laptop.

Is there any possibility to set the resolution to 1440p on this monitor connected to my laptop?

I will be grateful for any help!
03-12-2023, 12:55 PM
As of today CRU still does not work with 7900XT latest driver. AMD still have not unlocked their driver for custom EDID. Sucks.
03-12-2023, 01:51 PM
(03-12-2023 12:55 PM)alexaedita Wrote:  As of today CRU still does not work with 7900XT latest driver. AMD still have not unlocked their driver for custom EDID. Sucks.

SAME RX 6000
03-13-2023, 01:19 PM
(03-10-2023 10:14 AM)thezagreus Wrote:  Hello, i have RX 6700XT, my monitor successfully overclocking to 85 Hz on 1280x960. But I can not overclock it to 80 Hz on 1920x1080.

Previously, I had nvidia (gtx 1060) and I did it successfully (overclock 80hz on FHD). Now, I can't do it. Is this a AMD driver issue?

My max results on FHD on rx6700xt - 71hz. (AMD Adrenalin does not allow you to create another profile. Error: display does not support)

P.S: I connected my GTX 1060 with a DVI-D TO DVI-D cable. Now, i connected my RX 6700XT a HDMI to DVI-D. Idea
AMD DRIVER: 23.2.1
No, this is not a driver issue. You need to read the part about pixel clock limits.

(03-12-2023 01:51 PM)thezagreus Wrote:  SAME RX 6000
That has nothing to do with your issue.
03-13-2023, 01:19 PM
(03-10-2023 05:16 PM)0ka Wrote:  is there a way to save and load custom resolutions of the amd driver? without driver restart
I don't have a way to do that.