Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-09-2024, 08:54 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(04-06-2024 08:22 AM)theyeti252 Wrote:  I downloaded CRU to add 10 bit color permanently to my 240hz display. While this has worked flawlessly on my ASUS VG259QM (thank you), in the meantime, it has reconfigured my 2nd monitor which is an Acer XB273k. Whenever I'm under Detailed Resolutions, I can no longer choose both the 120hz refresh rate and the 4k resolution without checking interlacing. It doesn't matter which timing I select, it remains red. Trying to go to 1440p doesn't solve the issue either.

CRU seems to think it's connected via HDMI when it's really connected via DisplayPort
I think you're confused somewhere. Editing one monitor should not affect the other monitor. As mentioned in the first post, resolutions beyond 655.35 MHz pixel clock need to be added in a DisplayID extension block, but you shouldn't need to add 4K @ 120 Hz because the monitor should already have it defined. CRU doesn't report the connection type. It puts "(HDMI)" in the extension block list if there is an HDMI data block present.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2024, 10:18 PM
Hi! I am working on a project that uses a panel I bought from Aliexpress due to its resolution and aspect ratio. However, the display's default orientation is portrait and I needed it to be in landscape. My project uses an iPad as the main computing device and could not rotate the panel in settings. Is there a way to change the EDID settings so that my monitor's default orientation is landscape? I tried using CRU to change some parameters and it seems like the driver board doesn't have any limit on changing EDID. Please let me know if this could be done via CRU or changing EDID information!
04-13-2024, 12:04 AM
(04-12-2024 10:18 PM)Peter Wrote:  Hi! I am working on a project that uses a panel I bought from Aliexpress due to its resolution and aspect ratio. However, the display's default orientation is portrait and I needed it to be in landscape. My project uses an iPad as the main computing device and could not rotate the panel in settings. Is there a way to change the EDID settings so that my monitor's default orientation is landscape? I tried using CRU to change some parameters and it seems like the driver board doesn't have any limit on changing EDID. Please let me know if this could be done via CRU or changing EDID information!
The EDID doesn't have orientation information.
04-13-2024, 08:01 AM (Last edited: 04-13-2024, 08:07 AM by ArtMov)
(04-09-2024 08:53 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-09-2024 09:01 AM)ArtMov Wrote:  Hi, Is it possible to get 10 bit via dp 240hz?
It’s also interesting, I had resolutions display id 1.3, I deleted it and transferred the resolutions to display id 2.0, what does this do and could there be problems?)
That would depend on the resolution. If there is bandwidth for it, then yes. The DisplayID version doesn't really matter if it's just detailed resolutions. DisplayID 2.0 supports 3 decimal places for the pixel clock for more precision, but the hardware might not support such precision.

Thx vm for answer. The guy above added 10bit to his asus 240hz, how did he do it?) regarding hardware support, display boe mv270qhm-nf6, dp 1.4a.
04-14-2024, 08:24 AM (Last edited: 04-14-2024, 08:25 AM by R0nBurgundy)
Hi . I have noticed that in colorimetry DCI-P3 is not marked for use . My Sony tv is capable to output BT2020 . Do I have to enable DCI-P3 or maybe my TV is already using DCI-P3 because BT2020 is even wider color gamut ?
04-14-2024, 03:38 PM
(04-14-2024 08:24 AM)R0nBurgundy Wrote:  Hi . I have noticed that in colorimetry DCI-P3 is not marked for use . My Sony tv is capable to output BT2020 . Do I have to enable DCI-P3 or maybe my TV is already using DCI-P3 because BT2020 is even wider color gamut ?
I don't think Windows uses that information, so it wouldn't matter.
04-14-2024, 03:38 PM (Last edited: 04-14-2024, 03:39 PM by ToastyX)
(04-13-2024 08:01 AM)ArtMov Wrote:  Thx vm for answer. The guy above added 10bit to his asus 240hz, how did he do it?) regarding hardware support, display boe mv270qhm-nf6, dp 1.4a.
He didn't say, but for DisplayPort, use the "Edit..." button at the top to edit the maximum color depth. The pixel clock precision depends on the GPU.
04-15-2024, 03:42 PM
(04-14-2024 03:38 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-13-2024 08:01 AM)ArtMov Wrote:  Thx vm for answer. The guy above added 10bit to his asus 240hz, how did he do it?) regarding hardware support, display boe mv270qhm-nf6, dp 1.4a.
He didn't say, but for DisplayPort, use the "Edit..." button at the top to edit the maximum color depth. The pixel clock precision depends on the GPU.

i have 4070 super, I have it set to 10 bits in cru, but I want to overcome the limitation of the monitor, when more than 144 Hz it is limited to 8 bits. Do I need to set cru to 12 bits to get 10?
04-19-2024, 05:15 PM
First of all, thank you ToastyX for your hard work. I hate that we still need to rely on the goodwill of random individuals to make our overpriced tech work. Well, it is what it is.

I'm writing about an HDMI audio issue. TLDR: Lenovo T490 laptop -> thunderbolt -> Lenovo 40AY dock -> HDMI -> HDMI switch with audio extractor -> Dell P2419H monitor. Need CRU to force audio through, but this setup with an "audio format extension" block prevents the monitor to connect to the laptop. "No signal" on monitor -> laptop screen turns on -> laptop screen turns off -> monitor display turns black -> "No signal" on monitor -> repeat.

First of all, the Dell P2419H is a mess. The monitor doesn't have speakers or any audio connection, but it shows up as an audio device when you connect it to a computer (all because you can purchase a Dell soundbar to use with it, and apparently that's using audio over HDMI). Now this is true with all laptops I've tried, EXCEPT for my Lenovo T490 (Intel UHD 620 graphics) that doesn't recognize the monitor as an audio output device (maybe if we find out why, that would help me in the long run?). Tried with a clean Win10 and Win11 installs, Lenovo's and Intel's drivers, with or without the HDMI switch, with known good cables, all the usual stuff, but no joy. (We're not dealing with the dock yet.)

After a lot of googling, I've found CRU. Used hdmi-audio.dat, and it worked like a charm. Audio device shows up in Windows, HDMI audio extractor outputs the audio, all good.

Then comes the 40AY dock, a run off the mill Thunderbolt dock. WITHOUT the audio extractor it recognizes the audio device all right (with CRU configured). Of course there's no way to hear any audio this way...

WITH the audio extractor, if I set the usual audio settings in CRU, the monitor is unable to connect, although it tries hard.

The HDMI switch/extractor is a generic chinese model, externally powered, I made sure it gets enough juice. https://ventiontech.com/products/3-in-1-...alloy-type

So, two questions here:
  1. How does this monitor communicate that it has audio capabilities? The EDID doesn't seem to reflect it, although I'm not an expert. I'm assuming The T490's graphics driver is what fails to recognize it's capabilities.
  2. Any pointers what CRU config settings I could try to make this setup (with the dock) work?
04-20-2024, 09:17 AM
Hello, my laptop resolution is 1366x768, but I wanted to set the CRU to 1920x1440, I clicked ok and ran restart64 as administrator and then the black screen I can’t do anything, is there a solution to this problem? I'll be glad if you help