Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
01-15-2015, 08:35 AM (Last edited: 01-15-2015, 08:35 AM by corinarh)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
anyone know why this happening? http://i.imgur.com/UxmcaaY.png

i'm using omega drivers + asus 7850 2gb
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2015, 12:54 AM
(01-15-2015 08:35 AM)corinarh Wrote:  anyone know why this happening? http://i.imgur.com/UxmcaaY.png

i'm using omega drivers + asus 7850 2gb
That's not CRU. This is the CRU thread. That's happening because you're trying to set a width and height that is greater than the display resolution, which the driver does not support.
01-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Hi I have a qq, your utility is amazing by the way.
I have a shitty AMD HD 3000, there is no driver for windows 8, I installed Windows 7 on my machine but when I got this monitor Windows would not show the correct resolution. So I figured since my screen is going to look like crap anyway might as well look like crap on a newer OS. I found about your software and tried to force the resolution which in a sense worked, except for two minor things: 1 there is vertical lines on the screen, and 2 something is not quite pixel perfect I don't know how to put it in words exactly, like slightly blurry, but when I use the same monitor plugged into my laptop the image looks just perfect.

http://www.lg.com/za/monitors/lg-W2043S-PF-wide-lcd
That's the monitor, the laptop picks up the correct resolutions even tho still says "generic non-pnp monitor".

Please see (forum wouldn't let me attach):
http://imgur.com/a/RlLJo
01-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Hello ToastyX, sorry for the delay in updates to my problem. You were right, unchecking the "include extension block" worked, but only for 2 or 3 days. I was also wondering beforehand, by importing the blank-extension.dat file, do you mean just put it anywhere on the desktop or in a particular folder? Also, for further information on my situation, here's a crosspost from the overlord forums from myself:

So, recent updates on my case. Sorry it took so long but job is taking a lot of my time. I did some tests

Alright. So, the main problem was some occasional stuttering and fps drop in 120hz 1440p on WoW. I switched to a different profile and do not seem to have that problem anymore so far.

However, there's still the problem with Dota 2: horrible un-playable flickering from the moment I start the game, as if the screen was tearing apart (so, screen tearing I guess?)

I have also tried to set launch options in steam specifically for dota 2 (fps_max 120 and 600)

Here's what I did first. I tried to import the blank-extension.dat file from https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...tility-CRU for the nVidia workaround, and include the extension block. Also tried to remove the extension block, same result: NO SUCCESS with the Dota 2 screen tearing. Fine, let's try something else !

According to Black Octagon's suggestion, I tried to isolate the problem and have (sort of) succeeded

I reseted all resolutions in CRU, restored all pixel clock limits with the patcher, turned off SLI and rebooted. I then repatched the pixel clock limit using the patcher INSTEAD of the patcher-full (the regular patcher is for systems not using SLI) and imported the timings from Black0ctagon's youtube tempest x270oc overclocking video.

It was a great success. Works on WoW, works on DotA 2. No more screen tearing in Dota. However, I didn't pay 600$ for my 2nd GTX 780 to have it on off, so I gotta try and fix the problem anyways.

So I restarted the nVidia control panel and turned on SLI (having still only patched the nVidia values for systems not using SLI). Works on the desktop and in WoW

But, the terrible screen tearing in Dota 2...

I restarted everything and re-patched for SLI, rebooted Dota 2, still got the screen tearing (no surprise there)

However, both WoW, Borderlands 2 AND BF4 on Ultra 120Hz without any problem.

So, and this is what I meant by isolating the problem, DOTA 2 with SLI on seems to trouble the 120Hz. My next step, and that's what I'm currently doing, is deleting all the game files and reinstalling it from scratch... I have a feeling, however, that this is not gonna work.

The easy solution that I am obviously converging too would be to turn off SLI only when I'm playing Dota 2, but have it on when I'm playing any other games. But, as I said before, It worked before reformating and I find it pretty lame to have paid an extra 600$ for games to work better with my current rig, but all it does is create problems Sad .

My second solution, which I do not really want to come to, is start rollbacking drivers and try other versions. As I said before, until I reformated and installed the most recent nVidia drivers for my cards, I had absolutely no problem with whatsoever games (occasional green-purple lines in Dota and WoW but they were too small for me to care).

Does anyone have a suggestion?
01-21-2015, 01:46 AM
(01-19-2015 03:59 PM)dubsman81 Wrote:  Hi I have a qq, your utility is amazing by the way.
I have a shitty AMD HD 3000, there is no driver for windows 8, I installed Windows 7 on my machine but when I got this monitor Windows would not show the correct resolution. So I figured since my screen is going to look like crap anyway might as well look like crap on a newer OS. I found about your software and tried to force the resolution which in a sense worked, except for two minor things: 1 there is vertical lines on the screen, and 2 something is not quite pixel perfect I don't know how to put it in words exactly, like slightly blurry, but when I use the same monitor plugged into my laptop the image looks just perfect.

http://www.lg.com/za/monitors/lg-W2043S-PF-wide-lcd
That's the monitor, the laptop picks up the correct resolutions even tho still says "generic non-pnp monitor".

Please see (forum wouldn't let me attach):
http://imgur.com/a/RlLJo
That's a VGA monitor. The picture has to be adjusted with the resolution, usually by using the auto-adjust feature in the monitor.

The timing parameters can affect the picture with VGA. I don't know what timing parameters the monitor expects by default. If "LCD standard" doesn't work well, try "CRT standard" instead.

AMD has Windows 8 drivers for HD 3000-series GPUs, but you might have to install the driver using the Device Manager: http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/dis...357910399/
01-21-2015, 02:43 AM
(01-19-2015 06:42 PM)Windoge Wrote:  Hello ToastyX, sorry for the delay in updates to my problem. You were right, unchecking the "include extension block" worked, but only for 2 or 3 days. I was also wondering beforehand, by importing the blank-extension.dat file, do you mean just put it anywhere on the desktop or in a particular folder?
I mean use the "Import..." button in CRU. You don't need to keep the file after importing it.

(01-19-2015 06:42 PM)Windoge Wrote:  I restarted everything and re-patched for SLI, rebooted Dota 2, still got the screen tearing (no surprise there)
This seems more like an SLI issue rather than a resolution issue. GTX 780 cards don't need the full patch for SLI, and the patch is not needed at all for dual-link DVI if you use the NVIDIA control panel instead of CRU.

Try adding the custom resolution using the NVIDIA control panel instead of CRU. Make sure to run reset-all.exe to remove all the EDID overrides, and install the tempest.inf file as described in the overclocking guide: http://overlordforum.com/topic/21-overcl...art-guide/

With Windows 8/8.1, you have to temporarily disable driver signature enforcement first to install the tempest.inf file: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-can-i-i...windows-8/

That should work without the patch. If that doesn't help, then it's not a resolution or patch issue.
01-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Alright, I'll have more time tomorrow to try these things. I'll start by importing the blank-extension.dat file adequately.

Then, if this doesn't work, I'll restore the values patched by the patcher and import the resolution timings directly in the nVidia control panel... Wish me luck !

Thank you for your help Toasty, I'll give some news soon
01-26-2015, 05:05 AM
I have an LG 31MU97 display which has a native resolution of 4096x2160@60Hz over a DisplayPort 1.2 MST connection.

At some point, windows stopped recognizing this resolution and is defaulting to 3840x2160@60Hz (which is in the EDID).

I tried more than a few scratch Win7 x64 installs with different nVidia drivers, trying different cables, different nVidia cards (GTX980, GTX780) I just can't get this resolution to be recognized by default.

In the nvidia control panel I can set a custom resolution but apps/games won't recognize it as they did before.

I can't set the same resolution with CRU though as it won't accept 4096 for the horizontal.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-26-2015, 01:09 PM
(01-26-2015 05:05 AM)Signal Wrote:  I have an LG 31MU97 display which has a native resolution of 4096x2160@60Hz over a DisplayPort 1.2 MST connection.

At some point, windows stopped recognizing this resolution and is defaulting to 3840x2160@60Hz (which is in the EDID).

I tried more than a few scratch Win7 x64 installs with different nVidia drivers, trying different cables, different nVidia cards (GTX980, GTX780) I just can't get this resolution to be recognized by default.

In the nvidia control panel I can set a custom resolution but apps/games won't recognize it as they did before.

I can't set the same resolution with CRU though as it won't accept 4096 for the horizontal.
It's not possible to define 4096x2160 as a detailed resolution. MST connections should appear as multiple displays. Does CRU show two active displays? If so, each display would need to be defined as 2048x2160, but NVIDIA also has issues with EDID overrides and Surround, which NVIDIA uses to combine the displays.

You can get most games to recognize 4096x2160 by installing a monitor information file: https://www.monitortests.com/4096x2160.zip

Install using the Device Manager -> Monitors -> Right-click on the monitor -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... -> Browse for the .inf file -> OK -> Next -> Install this driver software anyway
01-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) Resolution 768x1080
Hi,

I use CRU now for months with 2 CRT projectors for Bluray and HDTV
Due to special edgeblending I use a resolution of 2112 x 1080 @ 60Hz (1920 + 192 (i.e.10% for blendzone) = 2112 px).
So I set up 1056x1080 @60Hz in CRU for each projector and have no problems to use it with Windows 7 64 and Sapphire 6450 flex card.

Now I intend to us 3 CRT projectors and changed the resolution to 768x1080@60Hz (1920 +384 (i.e. 20% for 2 blendzones = 2304px) in CRU.
To Set up in CRU and in CCC as single resolution is no problem. In that moment I use AMD Eyefinity in the Sapphire Card software to expand all three resolution to one, the resolution jumps to 3168x1080@60Hz and I canĀ“t change it to 2304x1080@60hz.

To use the 3168x1080@60hz is no problem for me.

In add. I tried to change the resolution from progressive to interlaced. Its the same result. In that moment I try to expand with eyefinity, it jumps to 3168x1080@60hz (i.e. progressive).

Can you help me?

Regards

disc