Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-04-2015, 08:41 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-04-2015 03:22 AM)deeselcyde Wrote:  I've tried about 30 times to get windows to simply give me the ability to change my refresh rate after using the program, making new custom resolutions, pressing OK, restarting, but after I restart all I see is my standard 60 hz. I used this program with success before I reformatted my computer. Same system. Same software. Help!

Do you have GPU scalling on?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2015, 07:59 PM
My new monitor, the Dell U2515H won't display its native 2560x1440 using a DVI-HDMI cable. The graphic card's DVI is capable of 2560x1600, but only 2048x1152 can be selected by default. I don't fully understand what CRU can do. Would CRU be able to force the native resolution? I'm hesitant to try it, because I don't want to damage the new monitor.
03-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Thank-you toastyX. I have just downloaded CRUv1.2 and it worked first time, I found it far easier and more reliable than using Regedit to modify the registry.

The small donation is definitely worth it, especially given the time I have spent trying to run my monitor at its maximum resolution on Windows 7. Good luck with your programming and thank-you for sharing.

For those who have tried the Mobility Modder on previous versions of ATI drivers and CCC packages I recommend giving this a go, especially as Mobility Modder does not run on Windows 7. I just copied the settings from my working laptop screen as it had the required resolution.

So Google can pick this up for other users, this is how I found this forum when looking for how force the external display resolution, my spec. is a Dell 2007WFPb screen which now runs at 1680x1050 using a Dell Inspiron laptop with an ATI Mobility X1300 graphics card.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) allows custom resolutions to be defined for both AMD/ATI and NVIDIA GPUs by creating EDID overrides directly in the registry without having to deal with inf files.

https://www.monitortests.com/cru-1.2.zip

If you find this software useful, donations are welcome.
03-07-2015, 03:33 PM
(03-05-2015 07:59 PM)teabit Wrote:  My new monitor, the Dell U2515H won't display its native 2560x1440 using a DVI-HDMI cable. The graphic card's DVI is capable of 2560x1600, but only 2048x1152 can be selected by default. I don't fully understand what CRU can do. Would CRU be able to force the native resolution? I'm hesitant to try it, because I don't want to damage the new monitor.
That depends. If 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz is not defined by the monitor, you'll have to add it. If it's already defined, you might need the pixel clock patch.
03-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Hey @ToastyX,

Will this application allow me to have cloned displays out at different refresh rates? I currently run a two PC setup for streaming to twitch, and have a 144hz BenQ monitor and an Avermedia Live Gamer HD. I currently have DVI-D from my GTX 970 going to DVI-D on my monitor, and then HDMI from my GPU to the HDMI input on my Avermedia on my streaming PC. I've cloned my 144hz monitor with the Avermedia and set the clone source to the 144hz monitor. I'd like to try change the refresh rate the Avermedia is receiving to 60hz so that there is no screen tearing on the stream, while maintaining the 144hz on my display. Unfortunately I'm unable to set the refresh rate of the Avermedia in my Nvidia control panel as it is currently greyed out.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Cheers,

Juice
03-18-2015, 04:54 AM
I am having trouble getting this to work with my new graphics card (amd r9 290)
I am using the latest graphics drivers.

My TV requires lcd reduced timings to display 1080p properly via HDMI. When I was using my Nvidia card I was able to do this with Nvidia's custom resolution in the nvidia control panel. With AMD I can't find such a place so I am trying this tool out.

I ran cru, selected my monitor from the top, edited the detailed resolution and chose lcd reduced and hit OK and closed it. I then restarted the machine and nothing improved. Are there settings in CCC that I need to change other than the overscan slider or something?
03-18-2015, 06:33 PM (Last edited: 03-18-2015, 06:57 PM by Trendle)
ToastyX,

I appreciate the time and effort that you put into this program, I really do, but unfortunately I could never get this to work properly like I intended it to work. I'm not saying that it's your program's fault, I suspect Windows (using 8.1 now) and/or AMD Catalyst (14.12 Omega at the moment) have a lot to do with it failing, but I was unable to resolve the issues that I had over the past few months.

What I wanted to do was fairly simple: I wanted to bump my LCD from 1080p@60Hz to 75Hz, and also set my CRT to a custom resolution of 920x690@170Hz. Obviously both of the monitors are capable of achieving this.

LCD: I couldn't get 75Hz to work automatically, I had to manually set it 70-90% of the time after every reboot. Sometimes it did work properly, but I don't know why.

CRT: After every reboot the resolution automatically changed to 1024x768@140Hz. Bare in mind that this is with all other resolutions being deleted from the EDID. I could, however, get a consistent result using 800x600, but only at a refresh rate of 160Hz. I had to set 170Hz manually every time.

I did try manually editing the Windows registry to change the default resolution and refresh rate, but the keys were being overwritten after every reboot, even when I removed all SYSTEM permissions.

If only I could get this to work as it should... it would make my year. Rolleyes
03-19-2015, 01:05 PM
(03-17-2015 05:00 PM)Juicetra Wrote:  Will this application allow me to have cloned displays out at different refresh rates?
That's up to the driver. Doesn't NVIDIA already allow this? CRU can remove other refresh rates if the driver is being stubborn.

(03-17-2015 05:00 PM)Juicetra Wrote:  I currently run a two PC setup for streaming to twitch, and have a 144hz BenQ monitor and an Avermedia Live Gamer HD. I currently have DVI-D from my GTX 970 going to DVI-D on my monitor, and then HDMI from my GPU to the HDMI input on my Avermedia on my streaming PC. I've cloned my 144hz monitor with the Avermedia and set the clone source to the 144hz monitor. I'd like to try change the refresh rate the Avermedia is receiving to 60hz so that there is no screen tearing on the stream, while maintaining the 144hz on my display. Unfortunately I'm unable to set the refresh rate of the Avermedia in my Nvidia control panel as it is currently greyed out.
Isn't the Avermedia already getting 60 Hz? I doubt it's getting 144 Hz through HDMI, and it probably doesn't support 144 Hz anyway.

60 Hz won't eliminate tearing. The only way to eliminate tearing is to use vsync with the Avermedia, but vsync probably won't work properly when cloning with two different refresh rates.
03-19-2015, 01:07 PM
(03-18-2015 04:54 AM)Nachbar Wrote:  I am having trouble getting this to work with my new graphics card (amd r9 290)
I am using the latest graphics drivers.

My TV requires lcd reduced timings to display 1080p properly via HDMI. When I was using my Nvidia card I was able to do this with Nvidia's custom resolution in the nvidia control panel. With AMD I can't find such a place so I am trying this tool out.

I ran cru, selected my monitor from the top, edited the detailed resolution and chose lcd reduced and hit OK and closed it. I then restarted the machine and nothing improved. Are there settings in CCC that I need to change other than the overscan slider or something?
It should work the same way with AMD as it did with NVIDIA. Check the pixel format option in CCC and see if setting RGB vs. YCbCr makes any difference.

There might also be other versions of 1080p in the default extension block that are getting in the way. Have you tried importing the hdmi-bitstream.dat file like you did with NVIDIA? That will also remove the YCbCr formats unless you add them back in the HDMI support options in the extension block.
03-19-2015, 01:08 PM
(03-18-2015 06:33 PM)Trendle Wrote:  I appreciate the time and effort that you put into this program, I really do, but unfortunately I could never get this to work properly like I intended it to work. I'm not saying that it's your program's fault, I suspect Windows (using 8.1 now) and/or AMD Catalyst (14.12 Omega at the moment) have a lot to do with it failing, but I was unable to resolve the issues that I had over the past few months.

What I wanted to do was fairly simple: I wanted to bump my LCD from 1080p@60Hz to 75Hz, and also set my CRT to a custom resolution of 920x690@170Hz. Obviously both of the monitors are capable of achieving this.

LCD: I couldn't get 75Hz to work automatically, I had to manually set it 70-90% of the time after every reboot. Sometimes it did work properly, but I don't know why.

CRT: After every reboot the resolution automatically changed to 1024x768@140Hz. Bare in mind that this is with all other resolutions being deleted from the EDID. I could, however, get a consistent result using 800x600, but only at a refresh rate of 160Hz. I had to set 170Hz manually every time.

I did try manually editing the Windows registry to change the default resolution and refresh rate, but the keys were being overwritten after every reboot, even when I removed all SYSTEM permissions.
AMD's driver has a bug with Windows 8.1 where EDID overrides don't always load properly after rebooting. Restarting the driver with restart.exe will load the override properly, which shows the problem is with the driver and not the override.

I don't know why this only affects some people and not others. Do you happen to have Samsung Magician installed? If so, does removing that make any difference?