Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-11-2015, 04:56 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(04-10-2015 08:52 PM)kaladar Wrote:  I'd like to achieve 1080p120 (btw. 2160p60 are no problem) - I had "some" success using nVidia custom resolution, but I do have skipped frames (actually the half like it's 60Hz). I am not sure which side tricked me (nVidia as some "feature" to let me believe it sends 120Hz, while it has been just 60 - or the TV that said it run's at 120/121Hz but just displayed the half, anyway), yet I'd like to find out if the TV is capable of it.
If the TV says it's running at 120/121 Hz and the UFO test shows 120 Hz, then it's definitely the TV skipping frames and not a driver issue.

(04-10-2015 08:52 PM)kaladar Wrote:  So what did I test till now you may ask: Using nVidia custom resolution - I did try all the available timings yet the ONLY working configuration was when I tried to set a custom res. out of 1080p60, just set 120 instead of 60Hz and test that. What makes me wonder if really 120Hz are being sent is that it actually uses timing out of 60Hz (when I check while "edit" the saved custom res.). Yet refresh-rates and pixel clock are at double of 60Hz. You can see my working settings for the nVidia custom resolution at the attached jpg file - while you can also see that I tried to set the same values via CRU - and that doesn't work ("No Signal").
If the TV accepts 120 Hz with the NVIDIA control panel but not with CRU, then the TV might only accept 120 Hz as an HDMI signal. HDMI acts like single-link DVI if the extension block doesn't define HDMI support. Try adding an HDMI support data block in the custom extension block and see if the TV accepts 120 Hz that way.

(04-10-2015 08:52 PM)kaladar Wrote:  In the attached zip-File you can see that the "nVidia (fake?) 120Hz" are actually more like "60Hz" (as just every 2nd frame is displayed). And one weird thing: the TV displays it would be running at 121 Hz. For sure I did also try all the other automatic timings CRU provides - with out success ("No Signal").

All this seems like it can't run at 120Hz, yet I am not about to give up. What I'd like to know: are there other timings I should test (common timings that are known to work) or is there any "overclock-procedure" about which value I should increase in a step by step - overclock test?

EDIT: Btw. i forgot to say that 720p@120Hz is working (whatever way i try - using nVidia or CRU). I just did some test as I thought "why not testing other frequencies?" Well (just testing "Standard resolution"), 85Hz did result in "No Signal" but 75Hz was accepted but - see yourself in the attached 75Hz Image - skipped frames. -.- Yet I don't know if it's nVidia or the TV but it's likely the last one (or could nVidia send 60 frames but trick the TV to think it would be 75?)
That's definitely the TV skipping frames. The timing parameters won't affect that. The TV doesn't support higher refresh rates properly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2015, 08:52 PM
(04-11-2015 04:54 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Your images aren't loading. You linked to private dropbox URLs.
Sorry about that, now edited my original post with publicly available URLs.
04-12-2015, 03:51 AM
(04-10-2015 08:36 PM)ksb Wrote:  Hi ToastyX and other forum members!
First HW setup:
GF GTX560 and analog TV (Sony Trinitron 29") connected to DVI-I via self-made H, V to H/V sync device to RGB input.
Seems TV supports only interlaced video.
Need to mention that there is no DDC connected as TV does not have it.
After fiddling a long time, tried using Linux and with a success. A lot of resolutions working, including example:
Modeline "720x576pali" 13.88 720 742 808 888 576 580 583 625 -hsync -vsync interlace (timings seems to be not important in this phase)
Under Windows added resolution through CRU:
[Image: CRU.png?dl=0&raw=1]
The proper way to define 576i with CRU is to use the "LCD standard" timing option and enter 1440x288 @ 50 Hz with "Interlaced" checked. The pixel clock should be 27 MHz. I don't know if the driver will properly handle such a resolution though.

(04-10-2015 08:36 PM)ksb Wrote:  Added 720x576i to NVIDIA custom resolution:
[Image: EditCustomResolution.png?dl=0&raw=1]
I have no idea how the NVIDIA control panel handles interlaced resolutions, so I don't know how to translate the timing parameters. The values in the screen shot don't make sense for 576i. I don't know if it's double-clocking the pixels or if it's actually sending 720x1152i @ 50 Hz or 720x576i @ 100 Hz.

(04-10-2015 08:36 PM)ksb Wrote:  But under resolutions I don't have 720x576:
[Image: ChangeResolution2.png?dl=0&raw=1]
(other variant - resolution exists in a list, but switches back to 640x480 immediately after pressing apply).
Seems that driver does not like interlaced resolutions...
The color depth is showing 16-bit. Also, check in the Windows screen resolution advanced settings under "List All Modes" and see if it's in there. Windows will list interlaced resolutions at half the refresh rate.
04-12-2015, 01:06 PM
(04-11-2015 04:56 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  If the TV accepts 120 Hz with the NVIDIA control panel but not with CRU, then the TV might only accept 120 Hz as an HDMI signal. HDMI acts like single-link DVI if the extension block doesn't define HDMI support. Try adding an HDMI support data block in the custom extension block and see if the TV accepts 120 Hz that way.
Okay - well I had no idea what to set at ip-adress but tested it with 0.0.0.0 and every thing else checked - 120Hz using HDMI protocol worked immediately. But like nVidia with skipped frames (as with 720Hz btw. that I also added as attach).

So ... I did hope to manage 120Hz using DVI protocol and therefore can make use of 3D Vision too. But as 1080p120@DVI is not working - that's sad. With only the half frames there is not much use either with Gaming or Video (that likely would stutter). Yet when thinking of 3D with only every 2nd image actually displayed there won't be any image for the other eye so no 3D at all. (if someone is interested in that I'd test if 720p@120@DVI at least allows 3D to kick in and if I would see just the pictures for one eye)

I will write to the manufacture if they may provide me with a firmware that allows 1080p120@DVI as well as not skipping frames (either I doubt it will be of success) what seems to be my last chance. Anyway thanks for your help.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Hi,

I am planning to build a new HTPC for my CRT projector with the lowest possible power consumption, so far the best candidate would be the AMD Kabini APU (Athlon 5350 or Semprom 3850) these have an integrated Radeon R3 graphics core. For the CRT projector I use a specially breed 1080i-96Hz timing that I was able to set on all of my previous systems, now I am curious if these new integrated AMD cores fare well with the CRU and can do custom interlaced resolution just as well as their predecessors? Any information is welcome!
04-12-2015, 09:31 PM
(04-12-2015 03:51 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  The proper way to define 576i with CRU is to use the "LCD standard" timing option and enter 1440x288 @ 50 Hz with "Interlaced" checked. The pixel clock should be 27 MHz. I don't know if the driver will properly handle such a resolution though.
If I define it in a such way, then it is very similar to 720x288 - NVIDIA allows to define and test 720x576i custom resolution. If there is no resolutions defined in CRU, then NVIDIA says it's unsupported.

(04-12-2015 03:51 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 08:36 PM)ksb Wrote:  Added 720x576i to NVIDIA custom resolution:
[Image: EditCustomResolution.png?dl=0&raw=1]
I have no idea how the NVIDIA control panel handles interlaced resolutions, so I don't know how to translate the timing parameters. The values in the screen shot don't make sense for 576i. I don't know if it's double-clocking the pixels or if it's actually sending 720x1152i @ 50 Hz or 720x576i @ 100 Hz.
I made some measurements. In test phase there is VSYNC each 20ms and HSYNC each 64us(in opposite to 32us in progressive scan). From what I can see - probably there is also a 32us shift time to time (each field?) and from what I understand, this is very standard interlaced.
So we can conclude that "50Hz refresh rate" is actually field rate, not frame rate, but what i don't understand is why pixel clock is so high.

(04-12-2015 03:51 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  The color depth is showing 16-bit. Also, check in the Windows screen resolution advanced settings under "List All Modes" and see if it's in there. Windows will list interlaced resolutions at half the refresh rate.
[Image: CRWin.png?dl=0&raw=1]
Yes, it's listed and I can even choose and apply and then Windows thinks it's switched, while actually nothing changed in output(I reopened that window in screenshot). Only - this resolution magically appears in NVIDIA CP. Notice that in Windows CP and also in this NVIDIA CP list resolution is listed as 25Hz(frame rate).
If I choose 640x480 in NVIDIA CP, then 720x576 disappears from list.
04-13-2015, 02:43 PM
Looks like Intel is finally going to add EDID overrides, will this help with achieving higher refresh rates on Intel only / switchable graphic systems?

https://communities.intel.com/thread/259...5&tstart=0
04-13-2015, 07:47 PM
I have my laptop running to a Samsung 60hz monitor via HDMI. I currently have it overclocked in the Nvidia control panel to 75hz (fraps shows 75 fps when vsynced in game). My question is am I actually getting the benefit of the extra 15hz because i have read a few places that HDMI limits your refresh rate or something?? any help would be super appreciated thx Smile
04-13-2015, 10:39 PM
@kammi23 - that's simple: just test if you have skipped frames or not - check http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/ especially the part about "Test The Refresh Rate" and there the 5. entry.
04-14-2015, 08:44 PM
(04-12-2015 07:10 PM)gjaky Wrote:  I am planning to build a new HTPC for my CRT projector with the lowest possible power consumption, so far the best candidate would be the AMD Kabini APU (Athlon 5350 or Semprom 3850) these have an integrated Radeon R3 graphics core. For the CRT projector I use a specially breed 1080i-96Hz timing that I was able to set on all of my previous systems, now I am curious if these new integrated AMD cores fare well with the CRU and can do custom interlaced resolution just as well as their predecessors? Any information is welcome!
I have no way of knowing without trying it, but EDID overrides should work with the AMD APUs, and custom interlaced resolutions are usually possible at 1080i because it is a common TV resolution.