Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-05-2015, 08:51 AM (Last edited: 05-05-2015, 08:54 AM by beerovios)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-05-2015 04:30 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 08:41 AM)beerovios Wrote:  Hello Smile

I recently connected my second monitor and used your program because I couldn't find the native resolution of the second monitor on windows settings.

At first I had 1 DVI-D for main screen and a vga connected to a DVI-I (with adapter) for the second. I booted my pc, chose extend, open CRU, hear the sound that a device has connected and boom good resolution on the second monitor.

After a while (like 5-6 restarts) this stopped working and when I opened CRU I heard the sound of a device connecting, and then I heard the sound of a device disconnecting and the extend of windows stops. For a while I was with lower resolution until I bought an HDMI cable for my main monitor... After that, it started working again, but after a while the same.

I have Nvidia gtx 760. The main monitor is Asus ve228 and the second is an old philips monitor which is recognised as Generic non-pnp monitor (there are no drivers, checked!)

What's going on? Tongue
That seems like an NVIDIA driver bug. CRU doesn't do any hardware detection. The UAC prompt is causing the driver to redetect the displays. The driver doesn't seem to be loading EDID overrides properly with non-PnP monitors for some reason. Does running restart.exe make any difference?

Restart works!!! But in a different way than cru. Whereas CRU made the native resolution appear as maximum resolution for the monitor, the restart just makes the native resolution show in a long list of resolutions that the monitor doesn't support all of them (something that happened by itself when I first plugged the monitor to my pc but disappeared after the first pc restart!)

Thank you very much Toasty! Smile
Probably I will restart everytime I want to use the second monitor I guess unless there some way to fix this permanently!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2015, 12:31 PM
(05-01-2015 10:28 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  "LCD standard" uses CEA for TV resolutions and CVT-RB for everything else because that's what LCD monitors and HDTVs commonly use.
"LCD reduced" is meant for trying higher refresh rates and is not standard.
"CRT standard" uses CVT.

Ok thanks. Can you be more specific about "LCD Reduced"?
05-06-2015, 01:27 AM
(05-05-2015 12:31 PM)jossgray Wrote:  Ok thanks. Can you be more specific about "LCD Reduced"?
It adjusts the timing parameters to reduce the pixel clock when trying higher refresh rates. It's mostly useful for keeping 1920x1080 @ 72-77 Hz under 165 MHz, 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz under 330 MHz, and for reducing the pixel clock at 2560x1440 @ 100+ Hz with the Catleap/Tempest/QNIX/X-Star monitors.

It also uses CVT-RB for TV resolutions, but it won't do that at 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz because the pixel clock is so high. I might end up adding an "LCD native" option since the CEA timing parameters for TV resolutions are the same for 30/60/120 Hz, and then "LCD standard" can use CVT-RB for 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz without affecting the "LCD reduced" option.
05-08-2015, 03:56 AM
Alright, well I was recommended by some folks on another forum to use this software to get my PC to recognize the 4K resolution of my TV (the jank 39" Seiki one". Both the PC and the TV have 4K support but the PC would only recognize it was going up to 1920x1080 (which worked fine btw). Anyway, I downloaded the CRU software and I added the resolution for 4K to the TV, and suddenly Windows finally recognized the 4K! Good news right? WRONG! As soon as I selected the 4K setting in the Windows Screen Resolution menu, I had sealed my fate. Since then (about 7 hours ago) I have not seen a flicker of screen from my PC on that TV. All of the input settings are correct and the TV still works with other HDMI devices. I'm honestly stumped as to what went wrong. I have tried doing the reset all, but my PC still see's the 4K resolution of the TV and won't display, even after I change it back to 1920x1080.

Another thing that was caused by the CRU program, somewhere in my fiddling around, I had to restart. On my restart, after logging in, I was greeted with heavy heavy heavy artifacts all over my screen, and if I kept moving the mouse, the thing BSOD's. However if I wait about a minute with no keyboard or mouse input, the screen returns to normal the the PC becomes usable. I would also like to fix this.

tldr; I somehow used CRU to F-up my driver and make my monitor unable to show my screen. What do? I just want it back to 1920x1080 and I'll settle for that, i barely want 4K anymore!! lol
05-08-2015, 12:19 PM
(05-08-2015 03:56 AM)neonswine Wrote:  Alright, well I was recommended by some folks on another forum to use this software to get my PC to recognize the 4K resolution of my TV (the jank 39" Seiki one". Both the PC and the TV have 4K support but the PC would only recognize it was going up to 1920x1080 (which worked fine btw). Anyway, I downloaded the CRU software and I added the resolution for 4K to the TV, and suddenly Windows finally recognized the 4K! Good news right? WRONG! As soon as I selected the 4K setting in the Windows Screen Resolution menu, I had sealed my fate. Since then (about 7 hours ago) I have not seen a flicker of screen from my PC on that TV. All of the input settings are correct and the TV still works with other HDMI devices. I'm honestly stumped as to what went wrong. I have tried doing the reset all, but my PC still see's the 4K resolution of the TV and won't display, even after I change it back to 1920x1080.

Another thing that was caused by the CRU program, somewhere in my fiddling around, I had to restart. On my restart, after logging in, I was greeted with heavy heavy heavy artifacts all over my screen, and if I kept moving the mouse, the thing BSOD's. However if I wait about a minute with no keyboard or mouse input, the screen returns to normal the the PC becomes usable. I would also like to fix this.

tldr; I somehow used CRU to F-up my driver and make my monitor unable to show my screen. What do? I just want it back to 1920x1080 and I'll settle for that, i barely want 4K anymore!! lol
I don't see how that's possible. CRU only creates EDID overrides, and running reset-all.exe removes all overrides, so there should be nothing left. You can also use the "Delete" button at the top in CRU to delete the override for the monitor. CRU will show a * or ** for the monitor if an override still exists. Make sure to run restart.exe or reboot after removing overrides.

You didn't mention what video card you have or what settings you used, so I have no idea what went wrong in the first place. 3840x2160 should have worked out of the box if your video card supported it.

The only thing I can think of is you used the pixel clock patch, which you didn't mention doing, and that caused the driver to allow the 3840x2160 resolution already defined by the TV, but apparently your video card can't handle that, so that's causing your problems. If that's the case, simply restoring the unpatched driver will fix the problem.

If for some reason that still doesn't help, then use DDU to completely uninstall the driver: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ddudownload.htm
05-10-2015, 09:30 AM (Last edited: 05-10-2015, 10:03 AM by Dave3d)
Hello.
Total noob at this.
I have a few questions.

I have:
GTX Titan X video card
Monoprice 30 inch G-Pro Slim 2560 x 1600 monitor that they say will oc to 120hz

My old 1680 x 1050 23inch monitor is going out, and I don't want to go back to 60hz, after having played 120hz for 8 years.

So, I have tried:
1. Launch the cru.exe
2. Selected the ** monitor, selected '2560 x1600 @ 59.971hz (268.50mhz) [+/_] and clicked Add (I have deleted all of the entries in standard resolutions (14 slots left) and selected None in Established Resolutions. I added 65hz lcd standard, and 70hz standard lcd.
3. Either restart the computer, or use restart.exe.
4. Right click desktop, go to monitor > advanved, and select the dropdown.

I have gotten 65hz and 70hz to work, but if I go over 70hz (in the Detailed Resolutions), only 60hz and 65hz show (or, if I delete the 65 and 70 hz, only 60hz shows up).

I tried using a custom Standard Resolution and Custom Extension Block, but when I type in 2560, it goes red, and wont let me set 2560 x 1600.
Sad

Monoprice says this will do up to 120hz, period.

I really only need to go to 100hz, I am thinking, for gaming, should be fine.
120hz would be excellent, but anything over 120hz I don't notice (I have an Asus 144hz, and it feels the same as my old 120hz).

I don't want to go down in scale, as 16:9 makes me nauseous (hence, not using the asus 144hz monitor).

Any help is really appreciated, as 16:10 and close to 120hz is normal for me, and I cant do 16:9.

Thanks.
Dave

EDIT:
Nevermind.
I was able to do it through the Nvidia control panel, change resolution, create custom res, 100hz, bam.
Reboot, and flip it to 100hz, all good.
Now to check gaming.
Smile
05-10-2015, 02:36 PM
(05-10-2015 09:30 AM)Dave3d Wrote:  Monoprice 30 inch G-Pro Slim 2560 x 1600 monitor that they say will oc to 120hz
It can't overclock. This is shown in the review on the front page: https://www.monitortests.com/monoprice-2...hz-review/

Tom's Hardware also has a review now with the same results: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mono...,4117.html

(05-10-2015 09:30 AM)Dave3d Wrote:  I have gotten 65hz and 70hz to work, but if I go over 70hz (in the Detailed Resolutions), only 60hz and 65hz show (or, if I delete the 65 and 70 hz, only 60hz shows up).
You're not paying attention to pixel clock limits. You need to patch the driver to allow pixel clocks greater than 330 MHz with dual-link DVI when using EDID overrides: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ck-Patcher

(05-10-2015 09:30 AM)Dave3d Wrote:  EDIT:
Nevermind.
I was able to do it through the Nvidia control panel, change resolution, create custom res, 100hz, bam.
Reboot, and flip it to 100hz, all good.
Now to check gaming.
Smile
The frame skipping at 100 Hz should be very obvious just by moving the mouse cursor.
05-11-2015, 12:07 PM
(03-07-2015 03:33 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 07:59 PM)teabit Wrote:  My new monitor, the Dell U2515H won't display its native 2560x1440 using a DVI-HDMI cable. The graphic card's DVI is capable of 2560x1600, but only 2048x1152 can be selected by default.......
That depends. If 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz is not defined by the monitor, you'll have to add it. If it's already defined, you might need the pixel clock patch.
In Dutch how I managed to do using the tips/tools I've found.
http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list...34885/last
You see my video card can support it but only through DVI too.... often there's a limit set on HMDI, the patch can take that away without overclokking, my speeds are not changed and it is still 60 Hz as you can see... Look on the bottom and see that they call it "EDID overrides directly in the registry"... I will do some additioanl experiments with a DVI - HMDI coupler instead of using HMDI directly and see what comes out then....
05-11-2015, 12:32 PM
(05-11-2015 12:07 PM)andre@home Wrote:  In Dutch how I managed to do using the tips/tools I've found.
http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list...34885/last
You see my video card can support it but only through DVI too.... often there's a limit set on HMDI, the patch can take that away without overclokking, my speeds are not changed and it is still 60 Hz as you can see... Look on the bottom and see that they call it "EDID overrides directly in the registry"... I will do some additioanl experiments with a DVI - HMDI coupler instead of using HMDI directly and see what comes out then....
HDMI is limited to 165 MHz pixel clock on 5000-series cards. The only way around that is to use the pixel clock patch.

Using a DVI-HDMI adapter won't work properly because the DVI port will send a dual-link signal, but HDMI is single-link. The patcher also has a way around that by renaming atikmdag-patcher.exe to atikmdag-patcher-sl.exe and repatching. That will make the DVI port act like a single-link DVI port.
05-11-2015, 01:03 PM
OK! New for me... tnx...
Doing this (atikmdag-patcher-sl.exe and repatching)... will keep the other patched settings still the same, so I may still use it as it is now?