Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-01-2015, 02:05 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-01-2015 02:48 AM)DLee Wrote:  I thought that this monitor was able to display 1920x1080 resolution, however only thing that was originally showing up was "1400x1200" which skewed the icons on my desktop. So I went ahead and tried this program and it showed that the detailed resolution was 1920x1080 @ 60hz, so I put that in in the standard resolution (kept it as "No extension block).
You shouldn't need to add any custom resolutions. CRU will not help if the monitor already defines the correct resolution.

(08-01-2015 02:48 AM)DLee Wrote:  When I pressed OK and used restart (I wasn't sure which restart I should use so I just used a regular restart, instead of restart 64, but my operating system is Windows 8.1 64 bits).
Restart.exe just runs Restart64.exe on 64-bit systems, so you can use either one.

(08-01-2015 02:48 AM)DLee Wrote:  I'm not sure if my on board graphic card doesn't support 1920x1080 or i'm doing something wrong. Please let me know how to best resolve this issue. I greatly appreciate it thank you.

P.S. Info on my display card:
Name: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Chip type: ATI ATOMBIOS
Approx. Total Memory: 256MB
Thank you once again!
Microsoft Basic Display Adapter is the generic Microsoft video driver. You need to download and install the driver for your video card: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2015, 02:06 PM
(08-01-2015 11:10 AM)LocutusEstBorg Wrote:  Is there a way to dump the existing extension block and then load it as a custom extension block so I can create a custom resolution on nVidia cards? I want to have the exact same block with the same audio support as my AVR.
You can use MonInfo to export the full EDID to a file: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm
08-01-2015, 02:27 PM
(07-31-2015 11:23 PM)cutkiller Wrote:  Got a Toshiba Sattelite laptop with an Intel HD4600 integrated graphics card. Got a Dell U2711 on HDMI, worked like a charm in Windows 8/8.1. Need 2560x1440 resolution for the monitor, used PowerStrip to force the resolution in Windows 8, worked perfectly.

Just upgraded to Windows 10, I can't get it to work with 2560x1440. Tried CRU, it still doesn't do it. Any thoughts?
CRU doesn't support Intel GPUs. CRU uses EDID overrides, and Intel's driver doesn't currently support EDID overrides. You'll have to find some other way to add custom resolutions such as through Intel's control panel, but the driver might not let you add 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz without the proper EDID because of bandwidth restrictions even if the hardware is capable.

The more complicated solution would be to use a hardware EDID emulator that can be programmed to use the EDID you want, but those are expensive. Supposedly it's possible to build your own pretty cheap, but I don't have information on how to do that. You might want to talk to Haemato because he just talked about doing that two posts before yours:
(07-30-2015 07:24 PM)Haemato Wrote:  The other solution I've got in the works is to create an EDID interceptor board that goes inline to the projector. The board is simple - just HDMI in/out with the i2c lines intercepted and connected to an EEPROM. I created a custom EDID that only has the timings I'm interested in and programmed that into the EEPROM.

I've got one board so far and tested it out. The projector came up at 1280x800@120Hz as it should. I need to get 2 more boards now to try out Surround. Hopefully by Friday. Waiting for nvidia to fix their shit is futile, it's been broken for years now.

*note* much thanks to my friends that helped with the board Smile
08-01-2015, 03:57 PM
(08-01-2015 02:27 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-31-2015 11:23 PM)cutkiller Wrote:  Got a Toshiba Sattelite laptop with an Intel HD4600 integrated graphics card. Got a Dell U2711 on HDMI, worked like a charm in Windows 8/8.1. Need 2560x1440 resolution for the monitor, used PowerStrip to force the resolution in Windows 8, worked perfectly.

Just upgraded to Windows 10, I can't get it to work with 2560x1440. Tried CRU, it still doesn't do it. Any thoughts?
CRU doesn't support Intel GPUs. CRU uses EDID overrides, and Intel's driver doesn't currently support EDID overrides. You'll have to find some other way to add custom resolutions such as through Intel's control panel, but the driver might not let you add 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz without the proper EDID because of bandwidth restrictions even if the hardware is capable.

The more complicated solution would be to use a hardware EDID emulator that can be programmed to use the EDID you want, but those are expensive. Supposedly it's possible to build your own pretty cheap, but I don't have information on how to do that. You might want to talk to Haemato because he just talked about doing that two posts before yours:
(07-30-2015 07:24 PM)Haemato Wrote:  The other solution I've got in the works is to create an EDID interceptor board that goes inline to the projector. The board is simple - just HDMI in/out with the i2c lines intercepted and connected to an EEPROM. I created a custom EDID that only has the timings I'm interested in and programmed that into the EEPROM.

I've got one board so far and tested it out. The projector came up at 1280x800@120Hz as it should. I need to get 2 more boards now to try out Surround. Hopefully by Friday. Waiting for nvidia to fix their shit is futile, it's been broken for years now.

*note* much thanks to my friends that helped with the board Smile

The Intel software didn't let me add that resolution in Windows 8 either, yet it worked with PowerStrip. Now I can pretty much add every resolution BUT 2560x1440. (3840x2400, 2560x1900). It's immensely frustrating. Any ideas why it worked in Win8 but not 10?
08-01-2015, 05:37 PM
So I got all 3 EDID interceptor boards now and I went to test them. They work perfectly with AMD cards and with the 980ti too using the windows standard VGA driver. Once I load the nvidia drivers I get no video once I get to the windows login screen.

I think I've found the problem though. I was using CRU to generate the hardware EDID and it doesn't include the Monitor Range Limits Descriptor. I think the nvidia driver reads the EDID and sees that's missing and so doesn't complete the monitor plugin.

I've hand-coded the EDID now using MonInfo so we'll see how that goes. Unfortunately I'll probably have to wait until Tuesday before I can get the EEPROMs reflashed.

As for building these boards, they're not difficult but they're hand-soldered so they take some time. I'll talk to my friends and see how much work they actually are ...
08-01-2015, 06:07 PM
(08-01-2015 05:37 PM)Haemato Wrote:  So I got all 3 EDID interceptor boards now and I went to test them. They work perfectly with AMD cards and with the 980ti too using the windows standard VGA driver. Once I load the nvidia drivers I get no video once I get to the windows login screen.

I think I've found the problem though. I was using CRU to generate the hardware EDID and it doesn't include the Monitor Range Limits Descriptor. I think the nvidia driver reads the EDID and sees that's missing and so doesn't complete the monitor plugin.

I've hand-coded the EDID now using MonInfo so we'll see how that goes. Unfortunately I'll probably have to wait until Tuesday before I can get the EEPROMs reflashed.

As for building these boards, they're not difficult but they're hand-soldered so they take some time. I'll talk to my friends and see how much work they actually are ...

Any chance you can help me out with a custom EDID? Sent you a private message.
08-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Thank you so much, had to make an account just to say thanks Smile
08-01-2015, 11:13 PM
(08-01-2015 03:57 PM)cutkiller Wrote:  The Intel software didn't let me add that resolution in Windows 8 either, yet it worked with PowerStrip. Now I can pretty much add every resolution BUT 2560x1440. (3840x2400, 2560x1900). It's immensely frustrating. Any ideas why it worked in Win8 but not 10?
PowerStrip uses vendor-specific methods to add custom resolutions, so it may not work properly with certain drivers. PowerStrip also hasn't been updated and isn't supported anymore.
08-01-2015, 11:16 PM
(08-01-2015 05:37 PM)Haemato Wrote:  So I got all 3 EDID interceptor boards now and I went to test them. They work perfectly with AMD cards and with the 980ti too using the windows standard VGA driver. Once I load the nvidia drivers I get no video once I get to the windows login screen.

I doubt that's the problem. The monitor range limits descriptor is not required, and that information is not used for anything as far as I have seen. CRU does not include one because it would use up a detailed resolution slot, and it could interfere with custom resolutions if the driver actually did use that information.

I don't know what timing parameters you used, but if the pixel clock is not greater than 165 MHz, then there shouldn't be any issues with HDMI. Otherwise, you need to add an HDMI support data block in the extension block for the driver to accept higher pixel clocks unless you're using the pixel clock patcher. Make sure to run reset-all.exe if you're not using EDID overrides anymore. That will also reset the Windows screen resolution settings just in case it's stuck on some other unsupported resolution.
08-02-2015, 12:30 AM
(08-01-2015 11:16 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I doubt that's the problem. The monitor range limits descriptor is not required, and that information is not used for anything as far as I have seen. CRU does not include one because it would use up a detailed resolution slot, and it could interfere with custom resolutions if the driver actually did use that information.

I don't know what timing parameters you used, but if the pixel clock is not greater than 165 MHz, then there shouldn't be any issues with HDMI. Otherwise, you need to add an HDMI support data block in the extension block for the driver to accept higher pixel clocks unless you're using the pixel clock patcher. Make sure to run reset-all.exe if you're not using EDID overrides anymore. That will also reset the Windows screen resolution settings just in case it's stuck on some other unsupported resolution.

According to the Enhanced EDID VESA spec it is required. Specifically states that "A Monitor Range Limits Descriptor must be provided" under section 3.10. A Monitor name descriptor is required as well. Earlier versions of the spec didn't require this (prior to 1.3) so hosts can expect to run into this scenario. It's possible that nvidia is doing a strict interpretation of the spec and thus failing to parse the EDID. I'll know more on Tuesday (or earlier if I get off my ass and write a program to do the i2c writes myself).

As for the detailed timing I'm doing, it's simply the VESA standard 1280x800p120 with reduced blanking. Pixel clock is 146.25MHz so it's well under the 165MHz limit. It works when I use an EDID override and like I said the interceptor blocks work fine with my old Crossfire R9 290 setup (I did a clean driver install after DDU and the projectors all came up at 1280x800p120 immediately). But as soon as the nvidia drivers are installed the 980ti fails to output any video if the interceptors are present. More debugging to do ...

Will respond to PM after a nap - was up too late last night.