Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-29-2015, 06:41 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-24-2015 04:19 AM)Delta52 Wrote:  Hello there. I am attempting to output 720x576 @60Hz to my CRT TV. I am able to output 720x480 @60Hz, but when I go to 720x576, the only available frequency by default on my computer is 50Hz. Attempts to use CRU to output 720x576 @60Hz have been unsuccessful. I add the settings in CRU under standard resolution and restart my computer, but nothing has changed on the output. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Is this a desktop or a laptop? What GPU do you have? Are you using HDMI? Have you tried adding it as a detailed resolution? Try the "LCD native" timing option. If you have an NVIDIA GPU, did you set a custom extension block?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2015, 05:08 PM
(11-29-2015 06:35 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-29-2015 01:58 AM)Nick3252 Wrote:  I have an AOC 2236 which I bought a long time ago, and decided to use it, when I found out you could overclock monitors to change their resolution and refresh rates.
I don't have any other monitors I can try this on, but the main point, is that when I restart, using the program or the literal restart, and I check the Windows Resolution Area or whatever you call it, I do not see any changes.I can walk you through how I did it.
I opened CRU, and added a new detailed resolution, changed everything I needed to, and BAM!... nope, it didn't work.
You haven't given me any information like what GPU you're using or how the monitor is connected or what resolution or refresh rate you're talking about or what timing parameters you used. Is this a desktop or a laptop? Are you using DVI? Are you paying attention to pixel clock limits? If you have an NVIDIA GPU, did you set a custom extension block?
I only have a VGA cable, becuase my laptop does not have a DVI port, but
I do not know the pixel clock limit, but my laptop has easily supported 160hz to a CRT that I used to have.
My GPU is an Intel Graphics HD 4000. I change the timing to LCD standard, and I click OK, but when I check on it after the restart it is back to Manual.
11-29-2015, 05:38 PM
(11-29-2015 05:08 PM)Nick3252 Wrote:  
(11-29-2015 06:35 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-29-2015 01:58 AM)Nick3252 Wrote:  I have an AOC 2236 which I bought a long time ago, and decided to use it, when I found out you could overclock monitors to change their resolution and refresh rates.
I don't have any other monitors I can try this on, but the main point, is that when I restart, using the program or the literal restart, and I check the Windows Resolution Area or whatever you call it, I do not see any changes.I can walk you through how I did it.
I opened CRU, and added a new detailed resolution, changed everything I needed to, and BAM!... nope, it didn't work.
You haven't given me any information like what GPU you're using or how the monitor is connected or what resolution or refresh rate you're talking about or what timing parameters you used. Is this a desktop or a laptop? Are you using DVI? Are you paying attention to pixel clock limits? If you have an NVIDIA GPU, did you set a custom extension block?
I only have a VGA cable, becuase my laptop does not have a DVI port, but
I do not know the pixel clock limit, but my laptop has easily supported 160hz to a CRT that I used to have.
My GPU is an Intel Graphics HD 4000. I change the timing to LCD standard, and I click OK, but when I check on it after the restart it is back to Manual.

It's always back to manual after you make a change.
It's manual because you're editing an existing timing (thus=manual).
You change it to standard if you want automatic timings entered for you.
Manual is for editing timings.
11-30-2015, 01:06 AM (Last edited: 11-30-2015, 01:25 AM by torankusu)
Hi all,

So this tool seems to be what i'm looking for.

All i want is to add a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel.

I cant do it with the nvidia control panel because even though it is created, programs wont detect it automatically needing my input in order to apply the resolution first.

What i want to do is create a res. 1920x1080 120hz

all attempts so far have failed.
I know i'm doing something wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.

Desktop, win10 pro x64
Nvidia 980 gtx
Sony 50" TV with hdmi 2.0 to hdmi on nvidia card.

Thanks in advanced Big Grin

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-30-2015, 11:52 AM (Last edited: 11-30-2015, 12:00 PM by Mehmi)
Hi ToastyX! I was recommended to download this utility from another thread, but I'm having a slight issue. I'm not sure if this issue is the utility or the reason why I downloaded it in in the first place, so let me explain my original problem.

I recently updated both nvidia and windows 10, which broke my downsampling (This also happened when i first upgraded to windows 10, but they released a fix for it after a few weeks). It deleted all my custom resolution settings, and every time I try to re-enter the settings it says test failed (see screenshot). so that's why I downloaded the CRU, in the hopes that it could override the settings.

But when I go to add a custom Standard Resolution in CRU (after selecting custom extension block) the numbers highlight in red and I can't click ok (the resolution I'm trying is 2560x1440, 60 Hz, which was the previously working resolution before the update).

I know my monitor can use these resolutions, as it was using them yesterday (the update happened overnight). But I'm a bit stumped as to how I can get them working again. I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to troubleshooting my computer problems. I have Windows 10 Home, an Asus VH232 Monitor and Geforce GTX 960 graphics card.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-30-2015, 01:04 PM
(11-30-2015 11:52 AM)Mehmi Wrote:  I recently updated both nvidia and windows 10, which broke my downsampling (This also happened when i first upgraded to windows 10, but they released a fix for it after a few weeks). It deleted all my custom resolution settings, and every time I try to re-enter the settings it says test failed (see screenshot). so that's why I downloaded the CRU, in the hopes that it could override the settings.
CRU is not for downsampling. It's for adding monitor resolutions. The monitor must support the resolution. I don't think the ASUS VH232 can handle higher resolutions. You have to use the NVIDIA control panel to add downsampled resolutions.

(11-30-2015 11:52 AM)Mehmi Wrote:  But when I go to add a custom Standard Resolution in CRU (after selecting custom extension block) the numbers highlight in red and I can't click ok (the resolution I'm trying is 2560x1440, 60 Hz, which was the previously working resolution before the update).
You already have 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz as a detailed resolution. Why are you trying to add it as a standard resolution? You only need it in one place. It's not possible to define 2560x1440 as a standard resolution.

If you're using HDMI, you also need to add an HDMI support data block in the custom extension block for 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz to work without patching the driver, or you can just import this file: https://www.monitortests.com/hdmi.dat

(11-30-2015 11:52 AM)Mehmi Wrote:  I know my monitor can use these resolutions, as it was using them yesterday (the update happened overnight). But I'm a bit stumped as to how I can get them working again. I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to troubleshooting my computer problems. I have Windows 10 Home, an Asus VH232 Monitor and Geforce GTX 960 graphics card.
The latest NVIDIA driver is broken for custom resolutions. Install 358.50 until they fix it.
11-30-2015, 01:07 PM
(11-30-2015 01:06 AM)torankusu Wrote:  All i want is to add a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel.

I cant do it with the nvidia control panel because even though it is created, programs wont detect it automatically needing my input in order to apply the resolution first.

This is a bit complicated in your case. NVIDIA doesn't support using the default extension block, so you need to use a custom extension block, but that will disable HDMI support and the 4K resolutions, so you need to add an HDMI support data block and the 4K resolutions manually in the custom extension block. I don't know if there's anything else that needs to be done for HDMI 2.0 support.

It might be easier to import the existing extension block instead. Run reset-all.exe and restart.exe. Then use MonInfo to save the full EDID to a .bin file: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Then you can import the .bin file using CRU. If it worked, the existing extension block should appear as a custom extension block. Then you can add 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz either as a detailed resolution (use "LCD native") or as a TV resolution in the custom extension block.

If that works, post the .bin file here. I want to see if there's anything else that might be required for HDMI 2.0.
11-30-2015, 01:12 PM
(11-29-2015 05:08 PM)Nick3252 Wrote:  I only have a VGA cable, becuase my laptop does not have a DVI port, but
Intel does not support EDID overrides, and the detailed resolution dialog always opens in "Manual" mode. This information is in the main post.
11-30-2015, 01:37 PM
(11-30-2015 01:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-30-2015 11:52 AM)Mehmi Wrote:  I recently updated both nvidia and windows 10, which broke my downsampling (This also happened when i first upgraded to windows 10, but they released a fix for it after a few weeks). It deleted all my custom resolution settings, and every time I try to re-enter the settings it says test failed (see screenshot). so that's why I downloaded the CRU, in the hopes that it could override the settings.
CRU is not for downsampling. It's for adding monitor resolutions. The monitor must support the resolution. I don't think the ASUS VH232 can handle higher resolutions. You have to use the NVIDIA control panel to add downsampled resolutions.

(11-30-2015 11:52 AM)Mehmi Wrote:  But when I go to add a custom Standard Resolution in CRU (after selecting custom extension block) the numbers highlight in red and I can't click ok (the resolution I'm trying is 2560x1440, 60 Hz, which was the previously working resolution before the update).
You already have 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz as a detailed resolution. Why are you trying to add it as a standard resolution? You only need it in one place. It's not possible to define 2560x1440 as a standard resolution.

If you're using HDMI, you also need to add an HDMI support data block in the custom extension block for 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz to work without patching the driver, or you can just import this file: https://www.monitortests.com/hdmi.dat

(11-30-2015 11:52 AM)Mehmi Wrote:  I know my monitor can use these resolutions, as it was using them yesterday (the update happened overnight). But I'm a bit stumped as to how I can get them working again. I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to troubleshooting my computer problems. I have Windows 10 Home, an Asus VH232 Monitor and Geforce GTX 960 graphics card.
The latest NVIDIA driver is broken for custom resolutions. Install 358.50 until they fix it.

Thanks ToastyX (I only put the detailed resolution in after trying the standard one) for giving me a bit more info about the use of the utility, as I said I wasn't entirely sure whether it was a fix that would work to solve my issue. I'll roll back my graphics driver and see if that helps :3
12-01-2015, 01:31 AM
(11-30-2015 01:07 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-30-2015 01:06 AM)torankusu Wrote:  All i want is to add a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel.

This is a bit complicated in your case. NVIDIA doesn't support using the default extension block, so you need to use a custom extension block, but that will disable HDMI support and the 4K resolutions, so you need to add an HDMI support data block and the 4K resolutions manually in the custom extension block. I don't know if there's anything else that needs to be done for HDMI 2.0 support.

It might be easier to import the existing extension block instead. Run reset-all.exe and restart.exe. Then use MonInfo to save the full EDID to a .bin file: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Then you can import the .bin file using CRU. If it worked, the existing extension block should appear as a custom extension block. Then you can add 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz either as a detailed resolution (use "LCD native") or as a TV resolution in the custom extension block.

If that works, post the .bin file here. I want to see if there's anything else that might be required for HDMI 2.0.
ToastyX
You
are
the
Man!!!

That worked.
I'm uploading the bin so that you can look into it and see if there is anything of value for you to play with.

Again, thanks man!!

attached both files, default bin and after the addition of 120z for 1080p

Attached File(s)
.zip  sony-xbr49x830c-orig.zip (Size: 342 bytes / Downloads: 478)
.zip  sony-xbr49x830c-1080p120hz.zip (Size: 373 bytes / Downloads: 441)