Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-03-2016, 04:09 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-02-2016 06:37 PM)turdtapper Wrote:  PC with Radeon 7750 ---hdmi---> TV ---toslink---> AV receiver

Because of this configuration, the EDID of the TV gives the hdmi port of the Radeon a two channel (Stereo) option only. Therefore Windows let me configure the speakers only with 2 channels, not 5.1 channels.

So the question is, is it possible with the CRU tool to overwrite the EDID of the TV with stereo option only, with an EDID with 5.1 sound option?
Yes, try importing the hdmi-audio.dat file.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2016, 04:16 PM
(07-30-2016 08:18 PM)ebaer Wrote:  I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (I don't think this has anything to do the issue, but I thought you should know anyway)
I have 2 HP ZR2440w monitors with Native Resolutions of 1920x1200 60Hz.
I am running them both off a single ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Adapter.
1 is plugged into the HDMI port.
The other is plugged into the VGA port and then through a VGA -> HDMI adapter (Etekcity Mini VGA to HDMI)

The Monitor on the HDMI port shows all the correct Resolutions, and allows me to pick the preferred resolution of 1920x1200 60Hz
In your CRU program as HWP2956 - HP ZR2440w.

The Monitor on the VGA port only goes up to 1920x1080, even though the specs say it can go to 1920x1200 60Hz
In your CRU program as SNY1A02 - SONY HD FORU

Both of the above are showing as the (active) Monitors / Settings.

I have added the 1920x1200 60Hz to the Detailed Resolutions to the SNY1A02 using the same specs as are on the HWP2956, but it never shows up in the available resolutions in the Display Settings Drop down, nor in the Display Adapter "List All Modes".
Try using the "Copy" and "Paste" buttons at the top to copy everything from the HWP monitor to the SNY monitor. If that doesn't help, try importing the hdmi.dat file to the SNY monitor. If that still doesn't work, there's some other driver or hardware limitation getting in the way. Is this a laptop?
08-03-2016, 06:41 PM
(07-29-2016 10:59 PM)loccothan Wrote:  OK, now i have Signal Converter HDMI 4k -> VGA converter with microUSB and Jack for Audio (miniUSB is for add. Power)
I have All my Resolutions Working Great + in CRU i've added all my resolutions with Timings + i've set in HDMI 12bit Support and it worked (YES problem is all the time)

But i have now different problem.
On Desktop/readme files/web content i have 'streaking' white light comes out of letters example: A|||||||| (| this is white colour like a tail)
I've notice that when i log into windows, before Desktop it blinks (like setting something) and then Loging in.
In Gaming/BIOS/Movies all is Pure Crystal Clear ! even the Fonts in Games/Menus etc.
So it must be Windows related problem I think that i can FIX that through CRU !
But how? Please Help :-)
Windows 10 x64 PRO

Also its visible only on Bright image (white especially)
That looks like crosstalk. VGA is susceptible to interference because the signal is analog. Crosstalk tends to be stronger with high-contrast patterns such as black text against a white background. I don't know what you can do about that other than to try different cables and adapters. Trying different timing parameters may or may not help.
08-04-2016, 06:12 AM (Last edited: 08-04-2016, 06:20 AM by loccothan)
(08-03-2016 06:41 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-29-2016 10:59 PM)loccothan Wrote:  OK, now i have Signal Converter HDMI 4k -> VGA converter with microUSB and Jack for Audio (miniUSB is for add. Power)
I have All my Resolutions Working Great + in CRU i've added all my resolutions with Timings + i've set in HDMI 12bit Support and it worked (YES problem is all the time)

But i have now different problem.
On Desktop/readme files/web content i have 'streaking' white light comes out of letters example: A|||||||| (| this is white colour like a tail)
I've notice that when i log into windows, before Desktop it blinks (like setting something) and then Loging in.
In Gaming/BIOS/Movies all is Pure Crystal Clear ! even the Fonts in Games/Menus etc.
So it must be Windows related problem I think that i can FIX that through CRU !
But how? Please Help :-)
Windows 10 x64 PRO

Also its visible only on Bright image (white especially)
That looks like crosstalk. VGA is susceptible to interference because the signal is analog. Crosstalk tends to be stronger with high-contrast patterns such as black text against a white background. I don't know what you can do about that other than to try different cables and adapters. Trying different timing parameters may or may not help.

THX i will try to figure it out somehow Idea
Next -> Yesterday was Big Win_X Update the Red Stone.
CRU don't do anything here, you have to update CRU.

All my resolutions are now forced by Crimson CCC settings, uff you have to do it all manually.
And worst part is the 2048:1536 66Hz is my new Native now Huh
When log in, i need to switch to my 1856:1392 80Hz.

Big THX for lighten up the problem, now i know what to do.
Also when gaming problem don't exist ! in Heroes VII there are lot of Black text on Yellow and it don't have 'streak'.

ZEN k17 8/16 4.01 GHz / Crosshair Hero VI / Predator 4133 CL19 1T / ATI Vega 64 XTX LiquiD / SB Z + MOD / XTR|SeaSonic 780 Platinum / CM WC Nepton 280L with Cold-Water MOD / Samie 850Evo 512GB System & RAID 0 + 2nd. 850Pro 512GB as Cache / Corsair 750D / ProLite XUB2792QSU-B1 10Bit > http://loccothan.blogspot.com
08-05-2016, 02:27 AM (Last edited: 08-05-2016, 02:34 AM by hippox89)
Hallo. I'm trying to add 55hz at 1280x720 on my plasma TV. Or something close to it. The TV can with standard EDID display 23, 24, 29, 30, 50 or 60hz perfectly at this resolution. However, the closest thing I can come to 55hz seems to be 59.200hz by utilizing CRU. Everything I've tried below this value seems to cause the screen to freak out a bit and random artefacts/distortions will appear in moving pictures in particular. I have tried using all the different presets like LCD standard, LCD native and the others, too.

Is there anything I can do to try and stabilize these custom resolutions? Or is the TV simply not capable of showing non-standard frequencies? It's just strange that the TV can do 50hz and 60hz, but not 55hz.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA 750TI with latest drivers. I've tried with both VGA and HDMI.

Let me know if I can provide more relevant information.
08-06-2016, 01:01 AM
Hello everyone / Toastyx.

I have been following the issue with Intel drivers closely and actually ended up doing a little bit of testing with one of the wonderful Intel reps over at the Intel community forums.

I would like to report that they have added the ability to override EDIDs using CRU for the 4th generation graphics drivers (soon to be 3rd as well). They had me test several laptops and I was able to overclock my panels the same way my Nvidia and AMD only systems work while using CRU.

I was not sure if Toastyx or anyone else was aware of this so I wanted to make a post, the changes will be pushed into a driver that will be coming sometime in the near future Big Grin
08-06-2016, 01:07 PM
(08-03-2016 04:16 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-30-2016 08:18 PM)ebaer Wrote:  I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (I don't think this has anything to do the issue, but I thought you should know anyway)
I have 2 HP ZR2440w monitors with Native Resolutions of 1920x1200 60Hz.
I am running them both off a single ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Adapter.
1 is plugged into the HDMI port.
The other is plugged into the VGA port and then through a VGA -> HDMI adapter (Etekcity Mini VGA to HDMI)

The Monitor on the HDMI port shows all the correct Resolutions, and allows me to pick the preferred resolution of 1920x1200 60Hz
In your CRU program as HWP2956 - HP ZR2440w.

The Monitor on the VGA port only goes up to 1920x1080, even though the specs say it can go to 1920x1200 60Hz
In your CRU program as SNY1A02 - SONY HD FORU

Both of the above are showing as the (active) Monitors / Settings.

I have added the 1920x1200 60Hz to the Detailed Resolutions to the SNY1A02 using the same specs as are on the HWP2956, but it never shows up in the available resolutions in the Display Settings Drop down, nor in the Display Adapter "List All Modes".
Try using the "Copy" and "Paste" buttons at the top to copy everything from the HWP monitor to the SNY monitor. If that doesn't help, try importing the hdmi.dat file to the SNY monitor. If that still doesn't work, there's some other driver or hardware limitation getting in the way. Is this a laptop?

ToastyX

I am so sorry, I kept refreshing the page my original post was on, and didn't see your reply.

I tried both of your suggestions, and although the settings were persisted, the values did not show up in the Display Adapter Settings in Windows 10.
I tried checking both before, and after rebooting.

The system is a Desktop (poorly named, as it sits on the floor) with an MSI 760GM-E51 FX Motherboard. It has an integrated graphics card. I am using both outputs it provides, 1 VGA, 1 HDMI.

Where are the files that are created by your program placed? Perhaps I could look there and see if the file is being overwritten/replaced. Or maybe on Windows 10 it is not updating the file that Windows 10 uses?

I am mostly a Linux person, so I don't have much expertise on Windows Admin. Do you know where Window 10 keeps the configuration files for the Displays? I could provide them if that would be useful.

I have attached some screen images of the HP and SNY settings for you, to see if that helps.

Thanks for your help.

ewb

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-06-2016, 06:43 PM
(08-06-2016 01:07 PM)ebaer Wrote:  I tried both of your suggestions, and although the settings were persisted, the values did not show up in the Display Adapter Settings in Windows 10.
I tried checking both before, and after rebooting.

The system is a Desktop (poorly named, as it sits on the floor) with an MSI 760GM-E51 FX Motherboard. It has an integrated graphics card. I am using both outputs it provides, 1 VGA, 1 HDMI.

Where are the files that are created by your program placed? Perhaps I could look there and see if the file is being overwritten/replaced. Or maybe on Windows 10 it is not updating the file that Windows 10 uses?
EDID overrides are stored in the registry. You can search for "EDID_OVERRIDE" using RegEdit. CRU reads the EDID information directly from the registry, so if the override was being removed or replaced, you would see the changes the next time you run CRU.

The fact that it says "(active)" and not "(restart required)" means the base block of the current EDID matches the EDID override, so the driver is reading the override but is ignoring it for some reason. Either the driver doesn't support EDID overrides for your GPU, or there's something wrong with the EDID sent by the adapter.

Run reset-all.exe and then restart.exe. Then use MonInfo to save the full "real-time" EDID for the SNY monitor to a .bin file: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Then post the file here so I can see if there's anything wrong with the EDID.
08-06-2016, 06:48 PM
(08-06-2016 01:01 AM)zaczac Wrote:  I have been following the issue with Intel drivers closely and actually ended up doing a little bit of testing with one of the wonderful Intel reps over at the Intel community forums.

I would like to report that they have added the ability to override EDIDs using CRU for the 4th generation graphics drivers (soon to be 3rd as well). They had me test several laptops and I was able to overclock my panels the same way my Nvidia and AMD only systems work while using CRU.
That's great news, but what about pixel clock limits? I don't have a patcher for Intel, so that would affect external displays using DVI or HDMI.
08-06-2016, 06:55 PM
(08-05-2016 02:27 AM)hippox89 Wrote:  Hallo. I'm trying to add 55hz at 1280x720 on my plasma TV. Or something close to it. The TV can with standard EDID display 23, 24, 29, 30, 50 or 60hz perfectly at this resolution. However, the closest thing I can come to 55hz seems to be 59.200hz by utilizing CRU. Everything I've tried below this value seems to cause the screen to freak out a bit and random artefacts/distortions will appear in moving pictures in particular. I have tried using all the different presets like LCD standard, LCD native and the others, too.

Is there anything I can do to try and stabilize these custom resolutions? Or is the TV simply not capable of showing non-standard frequencies? It's just strange that the TV can do 50hz and 60hz, but not 55hz.
Does the TV have 100/120 Hz motion interpolation? That could cause motion artifacts with odd refresh rates. If not, the TV might be designed to only handle certain refresh rates, so 55 Hz wouldn't be possible.