Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-15-2016, 07:57 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello ToastyX, some games like GTA V and Battlefield were identifying my screen refresh rate as 59Hz although my monitor is 60Hz and when i enable V-Sync these games run at 59 FPS, so i went to monitor settings and found that 60Hz was already selected. But when i extended the list i also found 59Hz and other refresh rate values including 50Hz. Someone suggested your software on reddit so i tried it worked. I no longer have refresh rate values other than 60Hz and now i can play these games at 60 FPS with V-Sync thanks to you. I just have some questions, I left only 1920x1080 @60.000Hz in detailed resolutions list, deleted all standard resolutions, unchecked all established resolutions, and selected ''No extension block''. However, after clicking OK and restarting, the brightness, contrast, etc have changed and i had to re-adjust my monitor with other values, so i wanna know whether it's normal or not. I also wanna know which values should i put in parameters as i'm using LCD standard while my monitor is LED LCD and supports both PC (@60Hz) and TV (@50Hz) and i'm not sure that the LCD standard values are the same for my monitor (got that feeling that it's responsible for brightness, etc change). Finally, i wanna know what's the difference between normal resolution (provided by windows) and detailed resolutions in CRU and whether there is a way to leave 60Hz refresh rate only without using CRU? (my brother has the same monitor but he is using windows XP because he has only 2GBs of RAM and he won't be able to play on another windows). Thank You
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2016, 04:53 AM
(08-15-2016 07:57 PM)ToastyX is Genius Wrote:  I just have some questions, I left only 1920x1080 @60.000Hz in detailed resolutions list, deleted all standard resolutions, unchecked all established resolutions, and selected ''No extension block''. However, after clicking OK and restarting, the brightness, contrast, etc have changed and i had to re-adjust my monitor with other values, so i wanna know whether it's normal or not.
If you're using HDMI, use a custom extension block and add an HDMI support data block. Also, make sure the output color format is set correctly in the NVIDIA control panel. The monitor may behave differently with RGB vs. YCbCr.

(08-15-2016 07:57 PM)ToastyX is Genius Wrote:  I also wanna know which values should i put in parameters as i'm using LCD standard while my monitor is LED LCD and supports both PC (@60Hz) and TV (@50Hz) and i'm not sure that the LCD standard values are the same for my monitor (got that feeling that it's responsible for brightness, etc change).
"LCD standard" uses the CEA standard timing parameters for 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz (2200x1125 total, 148.50 MHz pixel clock). Both TVs and monitors normally use those timing parameters for 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz.

(08-15-2016 07:57 PM)ToastyX is Genius Wrote:  Finally, i wanna know what's the difference between normal resolution (provided by windows) and detailed resolutions in CRU and whether there is a way to leave 60Hz refresh rate only without using CRU? (my brother has the same monitor but he is using windows XP because he has only 2GBs of RAM and he won't be able to play on another windows). Thank You
That's handled by the graphics driver based on the monitor's EDID. CRU creates EDID overrides, which aren't supported with XP drivers.
08-17-2016, 05:03 AM
(08-15-2016 07:52 PM)Decado Wrote:  I have a gtx 1070 and 1080p Toshiba 120hz HDTV.

I set a custom resolution to 720p (making it "native") for downsampling in 3D games. Now the 3D mode isn't working properly. Colours are red-tinged like it is trying to use a different form of 3D and my passive glasses do not work. Is it because my PC now thinks I am using a DVI connection instead of HDMI? Suggestions?
HDMI 3D support is defined in the extension block in the HDMI support data block. CRU doesn't have a way to read the default extension block or add 3D support directly, but it can be imported.

Use MonInfo to save the "real-time" EDID for the monitor to a .bin file: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Then import the file using CRU. That should import the default extension block as a custom extension block and preserve 3D support.

(08-15-2016 07:52 PM)Decado Wrote:  Regarding my HDTV, am I correct in my understanding that just because it says 120hz, doesn't mean it is capable of 120 fps, even using this utility?
120 Hz TVs normally take 60 Hz input and use motion interpolation to output 120 Hz, so there's no guarantee that it will accept higher refresh rates.
08-17-2016, 05:06 AM
(08-15-2016 04:18 PM)Techie405 Wrote:  Adding the HDMI support data block did the trick! I've never had to do this previously, all I did before was selected no extension block and upon reboot it showed my monitor was connected with DVI instead HDMI and just worked. This new way will work just fine so thank you very much for your help!!!
It might be related to the 330 MHz pixel clock problem with 1070/1080 cards that they recently fixed. They must not have fixed it for single-link DVI, so it probably won't boot past 165 MHz. HDMI ports act like single-link DVI if an HDMI support data block is not defined in the extension block.
08-17-2016, 05:07 AM
(08-14-2016 05:08 PM)Cross-Flow Wrote:  Is there anny changes with Freesync over HDMI? No Freesync HDMI Display supports CRU right now?
HDMI FreeSync should work with the default extension block, but editing the range requires a custom extension block. I will add support for the FreeSync data block in a future version.
08-17-2016, 06:22 AM
(08-17-2016 05:03 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-15-2016 07:52 PM)Decado Wrote:  I have a gtx 1070 and 1080p Toshiba 120hz HDTV.

I set a custom resolution to 720p (making it "native") for downsampling in 3D games. Now the 3D mode isn't working properly. Colours are red-tinged like it is trying to use a different form of 3D and my passive glasses do not work. Is it because my PC now thinks I am using a DVI connection instead of HDMI? Suggestions?
HDMI 3D support is defined in the extension block in the HDMI support data block. CRU doesn't have a way to read the default extension block or add 3D support directly, but it can be imported.

Use MonInfo to save the "real-time" EDID for the monitor to a .bin file: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Then import the file using CRU. That should import the default extension block as a custom extension block and preserve 3D support.
Thanks, that worked. I had the block but not the EDID.

Sadly, it does not seem like Nvidia's DSR works with this method/3D. Do you know of a good downsampling method to use with the new custom resolution/3D (besides gedosato)?
08-17-2016, 12:32 PM
(08-17-2016 05:07 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-14-2016 05:08 PM)Cross-Flow Wrote:  Is there anny changes with Freesync over HDMI? No Freesync HDMI Display supports CRU right now?
HDMI FreeSync should work with the default extension block, but editing the range requires a custom extension block. I will add support for the FreeSync data block in a future version.

That sounds awesome!

Thank You Smile
08-17-2016, 01:01 PM (Last edited: 08-17-2016, 01:40 PM by bunion4)
Please can anyone help me with this:

[Image: CszX6Mn.jpg]

I have Radeon 4350 on windows 10. This card is officially supported on <= Win8. I am using the 'most up to date' driver according to windows.

If i manually install a legacy ati driver for win 8 it allows a better range of resolutions, but many get messed up and massively squashed horizontally, especially the higher ones, and the colours are significantly desaturated.

On the current driver the colour is perfect, but the limit is 1280 * 1024. According to CRU the higher ones are there, is it possible to add them to the list still? Thanks

Just an update, i found this:

https://github.com/ywjheart/basic_adapte...dification

I have set the permissions on System32/Drivers/BasicDisplay.sys but cant replace the file as its in use. Figuring out how to get this replaced at boot somehow.
08-17-2016, 02:39 PM
I can't figure out how to replace the file. I have taken ownership of the file to replace it as per the instructions and its always in use. Even if: i disable the display adapter and get fallback minimum display + reboot, or i use the ati legacy driver, still the file is in use so can't be replaced.

I have tried safe mode, and also boot to command line, but then after changing from "X:" drive the C drive with dir command won't show the windows folder, as if its not there so i can use the cmd xcopy to replace the file.

Please can someone help with replacing this system file?
08-17-2016, 03:41 PM
Managed to replace the file using a bootable linux CD. Now the ratio of the screen isnt perfect so im going to try and adjust the file and do it again. Just logging this here for reference if anyone is interested.