Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-06-2017, 11:09 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi, I have a question. Is it possible to completely override your native resolution with this?
What I mean is make it so every program thinks that my 1920x1080 monitor is for example 1920x700.
I usually play games at this special resolution and simply changing cfg/ini files or having a custom resolution via the nvidia control panel does the trick. But I recently picked up a battlefield gamer and it will always revert its resolution after around 10 seconds. I've found out the on;y way to keep it at a custom resolution is to use desktop resizing and setting scaling to "no scaling".
But the problem is that using desktop resizing is quite limited. At the moment the lowest I can go is 1920x810, the slider just doesn't go any lower than 810. Also desktop resizing is only available for your native resolution and doesn't work at all with custom resolutions set via the nvidia control panel.
Sorry for the long explanation, but basically yeah. Can CRU be used to basically completely override my resolution?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2017, 04:54 AM
(07-06-2017 11:09 PM)SourceDasher Wrote:  Hi, I have a question. Is it possible to completely override your native resolution with this?
What I mean is make it so every program thinks that my 1920x1080 monitor is for example 1920x700.
Yes. The first detailed resolution is considered the native resolution. Make sure to check the extension block for TV resolutions, and make sure none of the TV resolutions are marked as native (listed in bold).
07-07-2017, 04:55 AM
(07-06-2017 01:42 AM)Lunaticraze Wrote:  Hello, everyone just wanted to start off by saying that I am trying to upscale via gpu to my display. I saw a video on eurogamer explained by Richard Leadbutter about the process. However, everytime I select scale via GPU my tv will show purple & green coloring & then reset to display scaling. I am following his instructions to a tee but cant seem to get "pc checkerboard upscaling". If further infomation & pix are needed I will gladly provide them.
GPU scaling not sticking would be a driver bug. Is this a 4K @ 60 Hz TV? Does it use HDMI 2.0? You might get different results with RGB vs. YCrCb 4:4:4 as the color format.
07-07-2017, 12:25 PM
(07-07-2017 04:54 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 11:09 PM)SourceDasher Wrote:  Hi, I have a question. Is it possible to completely override your native resolution with this?
Yes. The first detailed resolution is considered the native resolution. Make sure to check the extension block for TV resolutions, and make sure none of the TV resolutions are marked as native (listed in bold).

Alright, thanks for the quick reply.
07-09-2017, 09:18 PM
I used this program to change the hz of my monitor, but now my monitor is called generic pnp monitor and I don't know how to change it back. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks anyway
07-09-2017, 09:36 PM
(07-09-2017 09:18 PM)denniszhuu Wrote:  I used this program to change the hz of my monitor, but now my monitor is called generic pnp monitor and I don't know how to change it back. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks anyway
CRU doesn't affect the name of the monitor in the device manager. "Generic PnP Monitor" is normal. That's the default monitor driver.
07-10-2017, 06:03 AM
Just curious, so when overclocking refresh rate, is it preferrable to use the timing mode (LCD standard/native/reduced) which gives the lowest pixel clock at that refresh rate, or does it not matter? I'm on Nvidia, and the increased refresh rate I'm testing seems to be stable regardless of timing mode.
07-10-2017, 07:32 AM
(07-10-2017 06:03 AM)octiceps Wrote:  Just curious, so when overclocking refresh rate, is it preferrable to use the timing mode (LCD standard/native/reduced) which gives the lowest pixel clock at that refresh rate, or does it not matter? I'm on Nvidia, and the increased refresh rate I'm testing seems to be stable regardless of timing mode.
It doesn't matter unless you're running into pixel clock limits.
07-10-2017, 10:41 PM
(07-10-2017 07:32 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 06:03 AM)octiceps Wrote:  Just curious, so when overclocking refresh rate, is it preferrable to use the timing mode (LCD standard/native/reduced) which gives the lowest pixel clock at that refresh rate, or does it not matter? I'm on Nvidia, and the increased refresh rate I'm testing seems to be stable regardless of timing mode.
It doesn't matter unless you're running into pixel clock limits.

Thanks, good to know.

One more question, do the resolutions I create with CRU persist through GPU driver installations/updates?
07-11-2017, 12:44 AM
(07-10-2017 10:41 PM)octiceps Wrote:  One more question, do the resolutions I create with CRU persist through GPU driver installations/updates?
Usually, but not always. Keep in mind if you use something like DDU, it will wipe out the monitors as well. You can export the configuration to a file to import later if needed.