Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-11-2017, 07:21 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-11-2017 11:56 AM)GodlimaN Wrote:  Nope, don't think so!
https://gyazo.com/08a6f20c1d556689f180fd99dd6acdd4
Then it's an NVIDIA driver bug. CRU 1.3 automatically adds a blank extension block to work around this issue for monitors that do have an extension block by default, but apparently that triggers the bug for monitors that don't have any extension blocks.

Three solutions:

1. Use CRU 1.2.6 and choose the "No extension block" option to work around the problem.
2. Use HDMI. If you're using the pixel clock patch, you won't need it with HDMI.
3. Upgrade to Windows 10. NVIDIA's driver doesn't seem to have this issue with Windows 10.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2017, 07:22 PM
(08-11-2017 04:23 PM)fygonzalo Wrote:  Guys, when I connect my PC to my TV throught HDMI and try to use 1920x1080 the screen becomes blurry and the image doesn't fit the screen (also happens with 1280x720).
If I do the same but with DVI-VGA adapter then I can use 1920x1080 properly. Throught HDMI the display info label says 1080p@60hz but with VGA it says 1920x1080.
What video card do you have? AMD has an HDMI scaling option in Radeon Settings that controls overscan/underscan. Another option is to delete the extension block so it's treated as DVI, but that will also disable audio.
08-11-2017, 08:33 PM
(08-11-2017 07:21 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-11-2017 11:56 AM)GodlimaN Wrote:  Nope, don't think so!
https://gyazo.com/08a6f20c1d556689f180fd99dd6acdd4
Then it's an NVIDIA driver bug. CRU 1.3 automatically adds a blank extension block to work around this issue for monitors that do have an extension block by default, but apparently that triggers the bug for monitors that don't have any extension blocks.

Three solutions:

1. Use CRU 1.2.6 and choose the "No extension block" option to work around the problem.
2. Use HDMI. If you're using the pixel clock patch, you won't need it with HDMI.
3. Upgrade to Windows 10. NVIDIA's driver doesn't seem to have this issue with Windows 10.

HDMI works fine. Cheers.
08-11-2017, 09:54 PM
(08-11-2017 07:22 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-11-2017 04:23 PM)fygonzalo Wrote:  Guys, when I connect my PC to my TV throught HDMI and try to use 1920x1080 the screen becomes blurry and the image doesn't fit the screen (also happens with 1280x720).
If I do the same but with DVI-VGA adapter then I can use 1920x1080 properly. Throught HDMI the display info label says 1080p@60hz but with VGA it says 1920x1080.
What video card do you have? AMD has an HDMI scaling option in Radeon Settings that controls overscan/underscan. Another option is to delete the extension block so it's treated as DVI, but that will also disable audio.

Its a R9 270X. I have tried but is the same, colors are blurry.

Thank you anyway, its not a big problem because 1360x768 its ok for browsing, I just wanted 1080p for gaming
08-13-2017, 01:10 AM
Hello all,
I've been using CRU 1.3 successfully for about 6 months to force my i3-6320's HD530 IGP to push 2560x1440@60Hz, because I didn't adequately research my motherboard purchase about a year ago (Gigabyte Mini-ITX Z170 GA-Z170N-Gaming 5). This board can only push high resolutions out over HDMI, and gimps its DVI output, but my Dell U2711 only lists 1080p over its HDMI, although higher resolutions work just fine. Last time I get a mobo without DP, that's for sure.
So I had everything fixed up perfectly with CRU on on Win 10 and the updated beta drivers, until Windows comes along with an update about 2 weeks ago (I'm now on 10Pro version 1703 build 15063.540). This apparently slicked all the modded settings, so I rebuilt my profile in CRU and got everything back. NBD, right?
Except one thing--every time the computer goes to sleep/hibernate, or power cycles, I have to re-run restart64.exe (and use the admin pwd) to get the display to jump back to 1440p. Boo. Ive manually installed the Intel 21.20.16.4678 driver, but this didn't solve the problem (I don't recall if this was required to get CRU working again temporarily or not).
Any ideas how to get the desired modes to stick?

Thanks, ToastyX for such a great utility!

Josh
08-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Hi, guys!

First of all, I'd like to thank ToastyX for this incredibly helpful utility.

I found out about CRU after watching one of Digital Foundry's videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpHONwyBqg). I also used that program to "fix" an issue with Nvidia's DSR that occurs when your display supports a resolution higher than native (DSR scales from the highest supported resolution instead of native, causing issues with the aspect ratio and adding black bars in games). The solution for that can be found here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...=806615157

Even though everything is apparently working just fine, I'd like to know what are the optimal settings when setting up custom resolutions for OLED TVs, which aren't listed under "Timing". Following the instructions in the video I mentioned, I left everything in "Detailed resolutions" at default settings (with "Manual" as timing), changing only the number of pixels and the refresh rate for the resolutions I wanted.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
08-13-2017, 09:06 PM
(08-13-2017 09:18 AM)EeK Wrote:  Even though everything is apparently working just fine, I'd like to know what are the optimal settings when setting up custom resolutions for OLED TVs, which aren't listed under "Timing". Following the instructions in the video I mentioned, I left everything in "Detailed resolutions" at default settings (with "Manual" as timing), changing only the number of pixels and the refresh rate for the resolutions I wanted.
If you're adding lower resolutions and using GPU scaling like in the video, then the timing parameters don't matter because the resolution will be scaled to the native resolution anyway. The "LCD" options are meant for digital flat-panel monitors and TVs, basically any non-CRT.
08-13-2017, 09:10 PM
(08-13-2017 01:10 AM)uiuc_josh Wrote:  Except one thing--every time the computer goes to sleep/hibernate, or power cycles, I have to re-run restart64.exe (and use the admin pwd) to get the display to jump back to 1440p. Boo. Ive manually installed the Intel 21.20.16.4678 driver, but this didn't solve the problem (I don't recall if this was required to get CRU working again temporarily or not).
That sounds like a driver bug. I'm not familiar with Intel GPUs, so I don't know if there's a workaround. If it was working before, try using DDU to wipe out the old drivers before reinstalling the driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-ddu-
08-14-2017, 02:11 AM
(08-13-2017 09:10 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 01:10 AM)uiuc_josh Wrote:  Except one thing--every time the computer goes to sleep/hibernate, or power cycles, I have to re-run restart64.exe (and use the admin pwd) to get the display to jump back to 1440p. Boo. Ive manually installed the Intel 21.20.16.4678 driver, but this didn't solve the problem (I don't recall if this was required to get CRU working again temporarily or not).
That sounds like a driver bug. I'm not familiar with Intel GPUs, so I don't know if there's a workaround. If it was working before, try using DDU to wipe out the old drivers before reinstalling the driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-ddu-

Thanks--will try. I'm currently using a windows task that runs on every low power resume event and it runs restart64.exe, but I think that it causes issues because it's running as a non-interactive admin user and there's nobody to click exit. Are there command line options for restart64.exe I can explore?

Thanks again,
Josh
08-14-2017, 11:35 AM
Thanks ToastyX. Your information solved all my questions regarding the issue, along with my own investigation. I found a workaround for what I wanted to achieve. The reason I wanted to change the detailed modes was to trick nvidia's DSR (double resolution downscaled) into thinking the 16:9 works as DSR only operates with the native resolution. But turns out you can outright edit the DSR settings in registry, to accomodate whatever super-resolution you wish. For other uses of detailed modes or custom resolutions, CRU is an amazing tool, especially for the ability to directly configue extension blocks. I would never go thru nvidia to create custom resolutions, thnx to CRU.