Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-09-2019, 11:34 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-09-2019 01:38 AM)aeneas1 Wrote:  i'd like to add those resolutions because i sometimes need to make changes to the pc configuration remotely (chrome remote), with the 4ktv off, in which case the pc no longer sees the 4ktv edid and instead defaults to 1920x1080... for example, i'm in the process of setting up the pc for 4k uhd hdr file streaming and in order to do it correctly i need have the pc see a 4k hdr capable panel connected so that windows 10 hdr settings will become available/usable... does that make sense? btw, the job you do here, and the help you offer, is nothing short of incredible.
The problem is CRU creates EDID overrides, so if the PC no longer sees the TV's EDID, then there is no EDID to override. EDID overrides can only affect active monitors. CRU can't emulate monitors. You would need either a video card with that capability such as an NVIDIA Quadro card, or you would need an EDID emulator that you can connect to the video card to send the EDID even when the TV is off.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2019, 08:25 AM
(03-09-2019 11:34 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-09-2019 01:38 AM)aeneas1 Wrote:  i'd like to add those resolutions because i sometimes need to make changes to the pc configuration remotely (chrome remote), with the 4ktv off, in which case the pc no longer sees the 4ktv edid and instead defaults to 1920x1080... for example, i'm in the process of setting up the pc for 4k uhd hdr file streaming and in order to do it correctly i need have the pc see a 4k hdr capable panel connected so that windows 10 hdr settings will become available/usable... does that make sense? btw, the job you do here, and the help you offer, is nothing short of incredible.
The problem is CRU creates EDID overrides, so if the PC no longer sees the TV's EDID, then there is no EDID to override. EDID overrides can only affect active monitors. CRU can't emulate monitors. You would need either a video card with that capability such as an NVIDIA Quadro card, or you would need an EDID emulator that you can connect to the video card to send the EDID even when the TV is off.
ah, i see, very helpful...
03-10-2019, 10:31 PM (Last edited: 03-10-2019, 11:53 PM by NoTechi)
Hi,

I am trying cru first time to achieve:
1. just having one resolution in Windows after turning the pc on and to fall back to that resolution when a different resolution was used (e.g. by an game or Netflix). Not sure if cru is of help for this but can‘t get worse than how windows is behaving atm
2. To optimize resolutions for madvr and increase the time of estimated frame drops

I am running Windows 10, gtx 1080, madvr (latest beta 75), nvidia 8.1.940.0, jvc 7900, marantz 7011

In cru I disabled all in established connections, deleted all in detailed and standard and added one manual in detailed with 3840x2160 @ 23,976 by just changing the resolution and refresh rate everything else I did not touch.

With that I get kinda the same estimated repeats in madvr as before (around 5 minutes). I now wanted to test some resolutions with madvr custom modes to use the values for cru. Problem now is that in madvr the custom modes tab is there for a second and then dissapears.

My questions:
1. What should I do to get madvr custom modes tab back or is there another way to figure out settings which would result in a higher estimated time of dropped frames in madvr?
2. Before I did what I described above and at the time I still had the madvr custom mode settings I tried to add a detailed manually with the settings from madvr in cru. Even though the mode was successfully tested in madvr I was not able to add the numbers with cru. Cru showed the 1276 in horizontal front porch in red and the ok button was disabled. Question is why and is there a way to create it anyhow?
3. Somtimes I got that the marantz EDID was not read correctly (at least thats what I am assuming) which results in not having all resolutions available in nvidia drivers (like no 4k) and windows sound can‘t be set to Atmos anymore. At least the nvidia problem is often solved with a reboot but enabling atmos in windows does not work for some time now (even though it is there to be selected but it does not stick. Since I still get atmos in movies I am not too worried about that it‘s more a principle thing Smile) Any ideas what I could do to ensure windows is receiving the correct information from my marantz (beside placing a hardware edid faker between pc and avr)

NoTechi
03-11-2019, 11:47 PM
Well this application is very good but I have a problem

I used HDMI to connect my laptop to my LG Flatron monitor

and every time I have applied my settings changing the refresh rate from 60Hz to 75Hz it said "Out of Range, Change your resolution to 1366 x 768, 60.1kHz / 75Hz"

I have used extension block HDMI but not worked too

but at the background of the massage it worked well with 75Hz but after 20 seconds my monitor going blank

Please I Need Your Help :')

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-12-2019, 05:14 PM
(03-11-2019 11:47 PM)MarioBross007 Wrote:  but at the background of the massage it worked well with 75Hz but after 20 seconds my monitor going blank

Please I Need Your Help :')
I can't do anything about that. Your monitor doesn't want to allow the resolution.
03-12-2019, 05:14 PM
(03-10-2019 10:31 PM)NoTechi Wrote:  1. just having one resolution in Windows after turning the pc on and to fall back to that resolution when a different resolution was used (e.g. by an game or Netflix). Not sure if cru is of help for this but can‘t get worse than how windows is behaving atm
The graphics driver automatically adds common lower resolutions as scaled resolutions, but CRU can remove all the non-scaled resolutions and make sure only the refresh rates you want are available.

(03-10-2019 10:31 PM)NoTechi Wrote:  I now wanted to test some resolutions with madvr custom modes to use the values for cru. Problem now is that in madvr the custom modes tab is there for a second and then dissapears.

My questions:
1. What should I do to get madvr custom modes tab back or is there another way to figure out settings which would result in a higher estimated time of dropped frames in madvr?
That sounds like a bug in madVR. I have a pixel clock calculator that gives you the totals needed to make slight adjustments, but you'll need to figure out which direction you need to go: https://www.monitortests.com/pixelclock....=24&rate=1

(03-10-2019 10:31 PM)NoTechi Wrote:  2. Before I did what I described above and at the time I still had the madvr custom mode settings I tried to add a detailed manually with the settings from madvr in cru. Even though the mode was successfully tested in madvr I was not able to add the numbers with cru. Cru showed the 1276 in horizontal front porch in red and the ok button was disabled. Question is why and is there a way to create it anyhow?
EDID detailed resolutions don't allow horizontal front porches that high. Either swap the front and back porches (the blanking/total is what's important), or add a DisplayID extension block, which allows detailed resolutions with higher limits.

(03-10-2019 10:31 PM)NoTechi Wrote:  3. Somtimes I got that the marantz EDID was not read correctly (at least thats what I am assuming) which results in not having all resolutions available in nvidia drivers (like no 4k) and windows sound can‘t be set to Atmos anymore. At least the nvidia problem is often solved with a reboot but enabling atmos in windows does not work for some time now (even though it is there to be selected but it does not stick. Since I still get atmos in movies I am not too worried about that it‘s more a principle thing Smile) Any ideas what I could do to ensure windows is receiving the correct information from my marantz (beside placing a hardware edid faker between pc and avr)
That seems like a hardware flaw. I don't know a way around that.
03-12-2019, 05:15 PM
i see how to set up 1920 x 820 / 30hz and 60hz and 3840 x 1634 / 30hz and 60hz, but i don't know how to fill out the rest of the fields, are there default settings for these fields or someplace i can find the info? thanks very much!
03-12-2019, 08:55 PM
(03-12-2019 05:15 PM)aeneas1 Wrote:  i see how to set up 1920 x 820 / 30hz and 60hz and 3840 x 1634 / 30hz and 60hz, but i don't know how to fill out the rest of the fields, are there default settings for these fields or someplace i can find the info? thanks very much!
Use the "LCD standard" timing option to fill in the values. The values themselves don't matter much as long as they aren't too low. The original purpose was to give the electron gun time to move between lines/frames on a CRT monitor. That's not as important with digital monitors, but most still need some time for processing. Standards exist to make sure certain values always work, but that only applies to resolutions the monitor officially supports. When adding custom resolutions, there's no guarantee the monitor will accept the resolution or any particular timing parameters. If the monitor can't handle those resolutions, you can use GPU scaling. With GPU scaling, the timing parameters don't matter since the GPU will scale the resolutions to the native resolution.
03-12-2019, 09:41 PM
Thanks ToastyX I will try the cloak calculator approach Smile

NoTechi
03-13-2019, 08:41 PM
Hello Toasty,

I'm really impressed with the support that you've given over so many years.

I have a problem that has led me to this thread - I've just upgraded all my hardware except for my old Apple Cinema Display 30" which has a native res of 2560x1600 and that I've been using on 1920x1200 for the past couple of years. For reasons that remain a mystery to me, the new system is using a res of 1280x800 and I can't seem to get it any higher.

I'm connecting the display via a DVI (dual link) to DisplayPort adapter to my RTX2080, and I've updated my drivers for the card which I initially thought would solve the problem.

I've managed to set-up a new profile in CRU, pressed OK, reset.exe, went to display settings and selected the new resolution, the display goes black for a few seconds during which time the power button on the display flashes intermittently as if it is working, when the picture reappears it defaults back to 1280x800.

Can you shed any light on this?

https://imgur.com/a/5ZtCtIX