Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
02-25-2020, 10:12 PM (Last edited: 02-25-2020, 10:15 PM by apav)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(02-25-2020 09:54 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-25-2020 08:05 PM)apav Wrote:  Before I saw this reply, I tried deleting my resolutions in CRU and recreating them Nvidia Control Panel using the CVT reduced blank setting. I don't seem to be having the artficating issue with this custom resolution, but the pixel clock is about 23Mhz higher than the one I had in CRU.

Since you mentioned memory clock, I forgot to mention that when I use CRU's 110hz custom resolution my GPU stays at much higher clockspeeds when idling. This resolution I made in Nvidia Control Panel seems to keep the GPU at idle clocks, though with this resolution every time after rebooting my computer it flickers between the two clocks for a bit before finally settling on the idle one. Both CRU and Nvidia Control Panel's 96hz custom resolution that I made doesn't seem to do this.

Do you recommend I try to get this working correctly in CRU for the lower pixel clock, or should I leave it with Nvidia Control Panel as is?
"LCD standard" will give you the same timing parameters as CVT reduced blank. That should allow the memory clock to change without artifacts. You can try for a lower pixel clock, but it's not necessary if you're not having any problems.

Thanks. I'm just trying to maximize the lifespan of the monitor as much as I can while retaining this overclock. Does a higher pixel clock result in more wear, or does that happen only when using a higher overclocked refresh rate?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2020, 10:22 PM
(02-25-2020 10:12 PM)apav Wrote:  Thanks. I'm just trying to maximize the lifespan of the monitor as much as I can while retaining this overclock. Does a higher pixel clock result in more wear, or does that happen only when using a higher overclocked refresh rate?
It might, but it's hard to know. You should be able to reduce the vertical blanking/total some while still allowing the memory clock to change.
02-26-2020, 12:54 AM (Last edited: 02-26-2020, 04:18 AM by apav)
(02-25-2020 10:22 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-25-2020 10:12 PM)apav Wrote:  Thanks. I'm just trying to maximize the lifespan of the monitor as much as I can while retaining this overclock. Does a higher pixel clock result in more wear, or does that happen only when using a higher overclocked refresh rate?
It might, but it's hard to know. You should be able to reduce the vertical blanking/total some while still allowing the memory clock to change.

Thanks for confirming. Yeah I think it's better to keep the pixel clock as low as possible since my monitor has been overclocked for almost seven years, so I went back and kept increasing my vertical blanking by one and restarted until the lines stopped. These are the results I got for 110hz and 120hz. Do those look okay? And will I notice any difference with my display between these settings and the settings from LCD standard?
02-26-2020, 01:53 AM
(02-26-2020 12:54 AM)apav Wrote:  Thanks for confirming. Yeah I think it's better to keep the pixel clock as low as possible since my monitor has been overclocked for almost seven years, so I wen't back and kept increasing my vertical blanking by one and restarted until the lines stopped. These are the results I got for 110hz and 120hz. Do those look okay? And will I notice any difference with my display between these settings and the settings from LCD standard?
That's fine. There shouldn't be any visible difference.
02-26-2020, 01:56 AM
(02-26-2020 01:53 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-26-2020 12:54 AM)apav Wrote:  Thanks for confirming. Yeah I think it's better to keep the pixel clock as low as possible since my monitor has been overclocked for almost seven years, so I wen't back and kept increasing my vertical blanking by one and restarted until the lines stopped. These are the results I got for 110hz and 120hz. Do those look okay? And will I notice any difference with my display between these settings and the settings from LCD standard?
That's fine. There shouldn't be any visible difference.

As always, you're a lifesaver. Thank you so much.
02-26-2020, 03:25 AM (Last edited: 02-26-2020, 03:35 AM by SGAN)
Hello, sorry for asking, but I've been looking for an utility like this one for changing resolutions support on Windows 10, and being able to generate an .exe file for adding it to a batch file (.bat)

With this software, now I can add 1440x1080 support in Windows 10 (for a 1920x1080 monitor) generating an .exe file (1440x1080.exe, for example) "Exporting" it from CRU... and that's great

You made so easy to create a bath file for it, as simple as this:

-----------------------
@echo off

1440x1080.exe /i
restart.exe /q
-----------------------

And I can call that batch file (.bat) from a personalized installer for the game easily Smile

Now I can change resolution to 1440x1080 in a "letterbox mode" for keedping aspect ratio with "4/3 old games"

But now, I'm trying to change the resolution from a batch file... Because I want to create a batch file that:

1-. Change display resolution to 1440x1080
2-. Run the .exe game file
3-. Change the display resolution to 1920x1080 after closing the game.

Is it possible use the CRU with any king of command (command line) on CMD for hot-changing the display resolution?

I tried to change resolution to 1440x1920 using QRes for it, in CMD; after adding the 1440x1080 resolution with CRU... but it stretch the image to the "real monitor wide"

If I change resolution to 1440x1080 using the Windows 10 menu, then it is fine and it create the letterbox (black side bars)...

I want to change the monitor resolution to 1440x1080 using "something" in a command-line mode, but keeping the aspect ratio (with those black side bars).

Thank you
02-26-2020, 08:25 AM
(02-25-2020 05:56 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The behavior will depend on whether it's treated as DVI or HDMI.

Newer cards will output an HDMI signal over DVI ports if HDMI support is defined in the extension block. Older cards might only output DVI no matter what.

If it's treated as DVI, you will get a blurry image beyond 165 MHz pixel clock because that's where it switches to a dual-link signal, but HDMI is single-link, so you lose half the pixels. Renaming the patcher to whatever-patcher-single.exe will make it always send a single-link signal, but that might not work with older cards.

If it's treated as HDMI, AMD/ATI cards will output an HDMI signal over DVI ports, but only up to 165 MHz pixel clock unless the driver is patched. With the HD 7990, you shouldn't need the patch if you plug the monitor directly into an HDMI port.

NVIDIA cards will output an HDMI signal over DVI without the 165 MHz limitation, but keep in mind older cards might not have the hardware to handle higher pixel clocks because old versions of HDMI only supported up to 165 MHz. The one GTX 295 probably has a better TMDS transmitter that is capable of higher pixel clocks.

Thank you, that makes sense. Your info might help others with the same problem as me.

Regards.
02-28-2020, 02:28 AM
(02-26-2020 03:25 AM)SGAN Wrote:  But now, I'm trying to change the resolution from a batch file... Because I want to create a batch file that:

1-. Change display resolution to 1440x1080
2-. Run the .exe game file
3-. Change the display resolution to 1920x1080 after closing the game.

Is it possible use the CRU with any king of command (command line) on CMD for hot-changing the display resolution?

I tried to change resolution to 1440x1920 using QRes for it, in CMD; after adding the 1440x1080 resolution with CRU... but it stretch the image to the "real monitor wide"

If I change resolution to 1440x1080 using the Windows 10 menu, then it is fine and it create the letterbox (black side bars)...
I don't see how QRes could behave differently from changing the resolution manually. Windows doesn't provide a way to control stretching. That's up to the graphics driver if GPU scaling is enabled, or the monitor if GPU scaling is disabled (display scaling).

Here's another command-line program that can change the resolution:
https://12noon.com/?page_id=80

There's also a program that can create a shortcut to do what you want:
http://www.bcheck.net/apps/reso.htm
03-02-2020, 03:14 AM
Hello, i have a coffee lake processor but there is no download link for coffee lake

how do it do this?
03-03-2020, 01:21 AM
(03-02-2020 03:14 AM)MrWitherGuy Wrote:  Hello, i have a coffee lake processor but there is no download link for coffee lake

how do it do this?
The latest drivers should work.