EDID/DisplayID Writer
07-06-2023, 12:36 AM
RE: EDID/DisplayID Writer
(06-30-2023 03:53 PM)NOAMattD Wrote:  Hi Toasty - Thanks for this tool. Do you know of any tools or apps that provide similar functionality for Android?
Android is severely limited. I can't even find an app or tool to calibrate the colors of the screen, much less change the resolution or refresh rate, so you can forget about EDID stuff.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2023, 12:36 AM
(06-30-2023 01:25 PM)xblaster Wrote:  I am trying this tool for MSI GT72VR 7RE. There is MSI mxm GTX1070 card and edp (display port 1.4) panel = > Replaced faulty lcd panel and after this change no GSYNC support and backlight problems with some nvidia drivers. Display is different model. So I tried replace EDID from original one. There is problem with write protected error. So I disassembled this panel and there is winbond spi flash instead of eeprom with pull down resistor for disable writing. After modification (switch to pull up resistor) still write protected error. So then I soldered wires to flash and connected it to external programmer. There were fuses for software data protection. After disabling fuses still error in application. Winbond reflashed via external programmmer but GSYNC is missing. I made some differences in original EDID new panel is 144hz instead of 120hz so I will try flash original EDID now.
The write protected error means the program sent the data but the data didn't change, so it could be a limitation somewhere in the pipeline, such as the GPU's driver or the panel's hardware. DisplayPort is less direct, so the hardware might not be sending the data to the EEPROM.
07-12-2023, 01:08 PM
(07-06-2023 12:36 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-30-2023 01:25 PM)xblaster Wrote:  I am trying this tool for MSI GT72VR 7RE. There is MSI mxm GTX1070 card and edp (display port 1.4) panel = > Replaced faulty lcd panel and after this change no GSYNC support and backlight problems with some nvidia drivers. Display is different model. So I tried replace EDID from original one. There is problem with write protected error. So I disassembled this panel and there is winbond spi flash instead of eeprom with pull down resistor for disable writing. After modification (switch to pull up resistor) still write protected error. So then I soldered wires to flash and connected it to external programmer. There were fuses for software data protection. After disabling fuses still error in application. Winbond reflashed via external programmmer but GSYNC is missing. I made some differences in original EDID new panel is 144hz instead of 120hz so I will try flash original EDID now.
The write protected error means the program sent the data but the data didn't change, so it could be a limitation somewhere in the pipeline, such as the GPU's driver or the panel's hardware. DisplayPort is less direct, so the hardware might not be sending the data to the EEPROM.

Thanks for explanation. I have fixed problem with new panel. After replacing EDID direct in AUO winbond flash via external programmer G-SYNC is working fine.
09-20-2023, 06:44 PM
ToastyX - This might be off-topic, but have you found any 384 Kb or 512 Kb EEPROM HDMI dummy adapters?

I'm still learning, but it looks like the cheap HDMI dummy adapters usually contain a 256 Kb (24C02, etc) EEPROM.

It would be nice to find a 384 Kb or 512 Kb EEPROM to support larger EDID information.
09-22-2023, 05:52 PM
(09-20-2023 06:44 PM)sofakng Wrote:  ToastyX - This might be off-topic, but have you found any 384 Kb or 512 Kb EEPROM HDMI dummy adapters?

I'm still learning, but it looks like the cheap HDMI dummy adapters usually contain a 256 Kb (24C02, etc) EEPROM.

It would be nice to find a 384 Kb or 512 Kb EEPROM to support larger EDID information.
Those are bytes, not kb. Dummy plugs have no reason to use a larger EEPROM, so I wouldn't expect any. This program can't write more than 256 bytes anyway, so you'd need some other method.
05-18-2024, 11:16 AM (Last edited: 05-18-2024, 11:17 AM by poggersb)
Hi ToastyX, I'm new here but stumbled across this application when trying to resolve some EDID and Linux/GNOME annoyances. I purchased some cheap monitors which have identical EDID information (down to the byte), and it seems the way to fix my issue is to change the Serialnumber and checksum on the EDID data for one monitor, so linux sees them as separate monitors. I've done this by passing custom EDID data to the kernel which works, however, I'd rather make this a permanent fix by writing to the monitors EDID.

The EDID for this monitor is 384 bytes, but the two bytes I want to change are in the first 256 bytes (0x0000007D and 0x0000007F)

Can you advise whether the application would override the entire EDID data on the monitor, or just the first 256 bytes and the remaining 128 bytes would be retained?
05-18-2024, 01:28 PM
(05-18-2024 11:16 AM)poggersb Wrote:  Can you advise whether the application would override the entire EDID data on the monitor, or just the first 256 bytes and the remaining 128 bytes would be retained?
It can only change the first 256 bytes, so the rest would be preserved.
06-15-2024, 09:35 AM (Last edited: 06-17-2024, 09:58 AM by mushi)
latest edit: "display is write-protected" can't use this tool :\ thank you anyway

Hello,
I have been using CRU for years now. Before CRU, in CRT times, I used powerstrip and in linux I've tweaked randr many many times.
I need help updating the EDID of my monitor. For context:
  • My monitor has a EDID bug (at least one), in the detailed timing descriptors. there is a whole thread on Blurbusters about this monitor and how to use CRU to manipulate the timings. It is the only way of getting smooth tests in http://www.testufo.com
    It has been a savior.
  • But its still annoying, as the power save settings turns off the screen, and when it turns on, the monitor's EDID is loaded, so I have to restart the adapter using CRU-restart every time.

SO. I've came across this tool. I've managed to get the EDID from my monitor (attached) using the linux tool edid-decode.
Now I need help in making the changes and generating an updated EDID hex (with the timings I use in CRU - in "DTD 3" section of the EDID) so I can use this tool to load it in the monitor. and fix the problem once and for all.

Can you guide me in the right direction?
btw, apparently there are errors in the EDID according to the edid-decode output. It doesn't surrpise me, as my specific unit was never supposed to be sold (i got it from an lg employee)

thank you in advance

edit: I may have solved my question: apparently I can use CRU exported files in these edid editors https://www.monitortests.com/blog/list-of-edid-editors/ , so I can change the timings, and use EDID Writer to load it to the monitor!
latest edit: "display is write-protected" can't use this tool :\ thank you anyway

Attached File(s)
.txt  lg_edid.txt (Size: 6.31 KB / Downloads: 40)