Omen 32 monitor, "out of range" message - any way to around it?
01-21-2017, 04:06 AM (Last edited: 01-21-2017, 04:08 AM by Delicieuxz)
Omen 32 monitor, "out of range" message - any way to around it?
Hi.

I have a new HP Omen 32, which is pretty awesome. I saw on Hardforum that someone with an earlier firmware version of this monitor than mine was able to overclock the monitor just fine. But, any overclock of mine above the advertised max of 75hz, gives me this "out of range message":

[Image: kAD2DEG.jpg]

It looks to me like this is an artificial limit, imposed by the firmware. And it wouldn't be a problem, except for the message, and the monitor going into sleep-mode after 30 seconds.

Is there a way to bypass the monitor's prevention of overclocking?

Would this guide for hacking a monitor's FreeSync range be of any use in changing its recognized in-range hz spectrum?:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/owners-...-hack.html

Also, would there be a way to extract an earlier firmware version from one monitor, one without the overclock prevention, and apply it to another monitor?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2017, 04:07 PM
RE: Omen 32 monitor, "out of range" message - any way to around it?
(01-21-2017 04:06 AM)Delicieuxz Wrote:  Is there a way to bypass the monitor's prevention of overclocking?
Modify the firmware.

(01-21-2017 04:06 AM)Delicieuxz Wrote:  Would this guide for hacking a monitor's FreeSync range be of any use in changing its recognized in-range hz spectrum?:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/owners-...-hack.html
No.

(01-21-2017 04:06 AM)Delicieuxz Wrote:  Also, would there be a way to extract an earlier firmware version from one monitor, one without the overclock prevention, and apply it to another monitor?
That's beyond my scope. The procedure would be monitor-specific and not publicly documented.
01-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the reply, ToastyX.

(01-21-2017 04:07 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Modify the firmware.
Is that easy / possible for a layperson to do?
01-22-2017, 03:20 PM
(01-21-2017 08:51 PM)Delicieuxz Wrote:  Is that easy / possible for a layperson to do?
No. The procedure would be monitor-specific and not publicly documented.
01-26-2017, 03:30 AM
(01-22-2017 03:20 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-21-2017 08:51 PM)Delicieuxz Wrote:  Is that easy / possible for a layperson to do?
No. The procedure would be monitor-specific and not publicly documented.

OK, thanks the reply.

Would it be possible to fake out the resolution detection somehow, like maybe it checks a certain Windows file to see if the resolution is within range, and maybe something can be done to let the monitor read that it is in default range, while using custom resolutions?
01-26-2017, 06:57 PM
(01-26-2017 03:30 AM)Delicieuxz Wrote:  Would it be possible to fake out the resolution detection somehow, like maybe it checks a certain Windows file to see if the resolution is within range, and maybe something can be done to let the monitor read that it is in default range, while using custom resolutions?
The check is in the monitor's firmware. It's not a software limitation.
01-30-2017, 08:52 AM
OK. Thanks for the replies!