Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
01-12-2014, 01:33 AM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
Hi,

First, thanks for the great information in this thread. However, I have a problem. I've installed Strobelight and I got Lightboost to work fine, but I have decided that I do not want it. The problem is that I cannot seem to stop Lightboost from activating any time I play a game. Even when I reboot and start Chrome for the first time, Strobelight (I assume) immediately switches my resolution from 144hz to 120hz and activates Lightboost. How can I stop this from happening?

My gear is as follows:
Asus VG248QE is my primary monitor, with NVIDIA 3D Vision connected
I also have a generic Asus 60hz monitor connected as a 2nd display

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 04:08 AM
(01-12-2014 01:33 AM)penonation Wrote:  First, thanks for the great information in this thread. However, I have a problem. I've installed Strobelight and I got Lightboost to work fine, but I have decided that I do not want it. The problem is that I cannot seem to stop Lightboost from activating any time I play a game. Even when I reboot and start Chrome for the first time, Strobelight (I assume) immediately switches my resolution from 144hz to 120hz and activates Lightboost. How can I stop this from happening?

My gear is as follows:
Asus VG248QE is my primary monitor, with NVIDIA 3D Vision connected
I also have a generic Asus 60hz monitor connected as a 2nd display
Strobelight doesn't automatically switch refresh rates. Something else is doing that. Some games will pick the lowest refresh rate available instead of the desktop refresh rate, but that shouldn't affect all games. If you don't want LightBoost at all, then follow the uninstall instructions.

Chrome shouldn't cause a refresh rate switch either. It might be 3D Vision doing that. Supposedly this can be worked around by deleting the Chrome profile with NVIDIA Inspector:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!...jgi3bhNads
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/637912
01-12-2014, 04:13 AM
(01-11-2014 06:21 PM)monsterenergy22 Wrote:  I was wondering if there are any negative effects to my eyes or my monitor if I have strobing on all the time?
Some people are sensitive to flicker, but it wouldn't be much different from using a CRT at 120 Hz. It won't hurt the monitor.
01-12-2014, 05:09 AM (Last edited: 01-12-2014, 07:49 AM by penonation)
EDIT: I disabled the nVidia 3D Vision and my resolution did not change. Problem solved.
01-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Hi all,

I notice something like "interlacing effect" on my VG248QE monitor when I enable Lightboost with this tool. I called this "interlacing" because I see micro horizontal lines, even if I set lightboost to "off" via my monitor menu this "interlacing effect" still exists. When I disable Lightboost with the tool or manually switch to no "interlacing" remains. Can anyone experience this? Any explanation would be appreciated!!!
01-14-2014, 08:58 PM
The faint horizontal lines are a common panel artifact with LightBoost monitors when LightBoost is enabled. It's a hardware limitation and not something I can control with software.
01-14-2014, 10:34 PM (Last edited: 01-14-2014, 10:36 PM by buyukbang)
Thank you for the response! Actually I was thinking the same. But two VG248QE owner reporting in a hardware forum that they see no artifact made me really suspicious about my monitor. Your response really relieved me now Big Grin

(01-14-2014 08:58 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The faint horizontal lines are a common panel artifact with LightBoost monitors when LightBoost is enabled. It's a hardware limitation and not something I can control with software.
01-15-2014, 04:01 AM (Last edited: 01-15-2014, 04:02 AM by mdrejhon)
(01-14-2014 10:34 PM)buyukbang Wrote:  Thank you for the response! Actually I was thinking the same. But two VG248QE owner reporting in a hardware forum that they see no artifact made me really suspicious about my monitor. Your response really relieved me now Big Grin
I have it on my XL2411T too, so it's quite normal for many of these 24" 1ms panels. It's quite variable between panels, as LightBoost pushes the panel limitations far more aggressively. Sometimes doing a exchange causes the artifact to become worse or better, but it is in my opinion it is not worth the hassle to try to get this specific artifact fixed.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
Owner of BlurBusters.com and TestUFO.com
01-15-2014, 05:43 AM
thanks so much for this program!

it's working brilliantly on my AMD 6950 and Benq xl2420t
01-20-2014, 04:19 PM (Last edited: 01-20-2014, 04:19 PM by mdrejhon)
Just a heads up:
Triple surround LightBoost appears to work with ToastyX CRU using NVIDIA 332.21 drivers.
(Doesn't work with Strobelight Beta4 and older, though)

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=203

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
Owner of BlurBusters.com and TestUFO.com