Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
10-03-2013, 12:20 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(10-02-2013 11:29 PM)Deasnutz Wrote:  Having an issue, forgive me if it's a repeat:

Initializing the display is not enabling lightboost. After installing a strobed refresh rate, I have to run the 3dvision wizard to get it on (light on the 2420tx).

I'm concerned if I try amd cards, I will have this issue.
If the initialization process fails, the program will report "No compatible displays found."

If the program starts up without any errors and shows the tray icon, then it's probably an issue with the installed refresh rates. Check both the NVIDIA control panel and the Windows screen resolution settings to make sure the installed refresh rates are actually available.

Right now, I'm aware of three things that can interfere with installed refresh rates on a single monitor setup:

1. Make sure GeForce Experience is not installed. GeForce Experience is known to trigger a bug in the NVIDIA driver that can cause issues with installed refresh rates.

2. Someone just reported that Samsung Magician also triggers the same bug in the NVIDIA driver when it scans for hardware on startup. There might be other programs that trigger the same problem.

3. Check the device manager under display adapters and make sure there are no mirror drivers or anything other than your video card. Mirror drivers create virtual devices that can interfere with installed refresh rates.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 12:21 PM
(10-03-2013 04:24 AM)entik Wrote:  So since having another monitor on, that is running a lower frequency, bugs the UFO tests...does it not also affect in-game strobing as well?
It can if vsync is enabled because the two monitors won't be synchronized. It shouldn't be a problem if vsync is not enabled.
10-03-2013, 01:24 PM
(10-03-2013 12:16 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 10:47 PM)HellionGR Wrote:  So i choose BenqXl2411t not Nv 3x1 to setup
Reboot.Works on 1 monitor 3D mode
It should have worked on all three monitors, but maybe the program skipped changing the refresh rate on startup because it saw that one monitor was already set. Turning on strobing manually should fix that.

(10-02-2013 10:47 PM)HellionGR Wrote:  Go to surround enable surround this is the weird thing now
All monitors enable go to gaming mode but the middle one(original with 3D installed) has a flicker effect which is quite obvious.
I go to your taskbar reinitialize monitors with strobelight and all go in 3D mode.By the way now in nvidia control panel>change resolution i have 3240*1920 and i can select 120-121hz which are the strobbed non strobbed.
Of course im not happy at all when i reboot it will remove those two entries and will have 60-144hz all non strobbed and override ur tool.
Any thoughts?
That's weird. I don't see why it would work the first time, but then stop working after rebooting.

NVIDIA's driver bugs are starting to frustrate me. They already have several bugs related to EDID overrides, and now they added another when Surround is involved. This is something NVIDIA needs to fix.

For now, you might be able to work around the problem by manually adding the custom resolutions using the NVIDIA control panel. You can get the values from CRU.

Nah happened as i thought ToastyX.When i reboot the overrides are gone.Im stuck at non strobbed mode.The nvidia control panel><change Resolution>refresh rate 60,85,100,120,144 all non strobed
Problem is by customize i cant add custom refresh rate ----create custom resolution is greyed out
10-03-2013, 08:40 PM
(10-02-2013 05:29 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 05:25 PM)kevindd992002 Wrote:  Alright, I'll check if DDC/CI is enabled. What does that feature do anyway?

What I don't understand is what is the difference between the software changing the brightness and manually changing it?
DDC is how it talks to the monitor. There shouldn't be a difference between using the software and changing it manually. The monitor is not handling it correctly.

Just confirmed that DDC/CI is enabled. mdrejhon mentioned that this brightness setting bug is experienced by people with other monitors that have this kind of software-control bug.
10-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Hi,

I have a GTX 780 and a BenQ XL2411T, windows 7.

I don't seem to be able to have Strobelight Beta 2 by ToastyX coexist with stereoscopic 3D.
I get this message in red text overlay whenever I launch a game :

“Warning: attempt to run Stereoscopic 3D in a non-stereo
display mode, please change to an acceptable mode.
See documentation for acceptable Stereoscopic 3D modes.”

Stereoscopic 3D then doesn't work, or appears to be messed up ( depth looks like it's reversed, with back coming to the front ). And I can't get rid of the text.

Without Strobelight and its custom resolution, I do not get the message, Stereo works great, but, obviously, I do not get the Lightboost effect in 3D, be it on the desktop or in games that I want to play in 120hz 2D...

I already uninstalled geforce Experience. Simply switching StrobeLight off doesn't make stereo work, the whole thing has to be uninstalled along its custom resolutions.
One workaround is simply to switch the DVI port I used whenever I want 3D or 2D, but it's hardly a convenient solution...

Tested with Shadow Warrior and BF3 so far.

Any idea how to easily switch between stereo and strobbed 2D?
10-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Hello everyone. I have a couple questions and hopefully someone can help me out.
Ill list my specs first
3 vg248qe monitors
2 via mini display port to display port on monitor
1 via duel link dvi cable
1 60hz monitor via hdmi to dvi 4th monitor in extended mode
msi 7970

Ive been able to install the app and install the different refresh rates.
I only play iracing and rfactor. My pc is powerful enough to maintain 120fps with lowered setting easily in rfactor. Both games have options for 120hz.
first of all, are my connections capable of pushing 120hz to the monitors via the display port?
Will the 60hz monitor in extended mode cause problems while gaming? I use the monitor for teamspeak and other non gaming apps.

My problem is that when i race on rfactor it seems to be smooth for a few moments and then i see, hard to describe. its almost like I am seeing the frame twice. like there is two frames overlapped but there not lined up perfectly. This becomes very annoying trying to race with it jumping back and forth. I can monitor the frame rates and im staying well above 120. That is the best i can describe the problem. Ive tried to force 120hz with radeon pro but its the same. Thanks for any help.
10-06-2013, 06:18 PM
(10-04-2013 05:54 PM)Wolrajh Wrote:  I don't seem to be able to have Strobelight Beta 2 by ToastyX coexist with stereoscopic 3D.
I get this message in red text overlay whenever I launch a game :

“Warning: attempt to run Stereoscopic 3D in a non-stereo
display mode, please change to an acceptable mode.
See documentation for acceptable Stereoscopic 3D modes.”

Stereoscopic 3D then doesn't work, or appears to be messed up ( depth looks like it's reversed, with back coming to the front ). And I can't get rid of the text.
I don't know why you're getting that message. I don't have a way to test stereoscopic 3D. I tried tricking the driver into enabling stereoscopic 3D, but I still don't get that message.

Are the installed refresh rates available in the Windows screen resolution settings?

Try using CRU and import this: https://www.monitortests.com/lightboost-test.bin

Does that let you enable stereoscopic 3D properly? That will swap the strobing on/off refresh rates, so the strobing options will be reversed.
10-06-2013, 06:28 PM
(10-06-2013 01:12 AM)torsionbar Wrote:  first of all, are my connections capable of pushing 120hz to the monitors via the display port?
Yes.

(10-06-2013 01:12 AM)torsionbar Wrote:  Will the 60hz monitor in extended mode cause problems while gaming? I use the monitor for teamspeak and other non gaming apps.
It can if vsync is enabled in the game or if it's running in windowed mode with desktop composition.

(10-06-2013 01:12 AM)torsionbar Wrote:  My problem is that when i race on rfactor it seems to be smooth for a few moments and then i see, hard to describe. its almost like I am seeing the frame twice. like there is two frames overlapped but there not lined up perfectly.
That would only happen if the frame was being repeated, like if it were running at 60 FPS at 120 Hz.
10-06-2013, 09:46 PM
(10-06-2013 06:18 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't know why you're getting that message. I don't have a way to test stereoscopic 3D. I tried tricking the driver into enabling stereoscopic 3D, but I still don't get that message.

Are the installed refresh rates available in the Windows screen resolution settings?

Try using CRU and import this: https://www.monitortests.com/lightboost-test.bin

Does that let you enable stereoscopic 3D properly? That will swap the strobing on/off refresh rates, so the strobing options will be reversed.

Yes, this works. Stereo is OK with no obnoxious messages, and Lightboost is indeed activated in 2D when I select the 121hz refresh rate. Obviously, StrobeLight doesn't work anymore ( considered de-activated when I swap to the 121hz custom resolution ) but the brightness can be modified directly from the monitor menu.

The Nvidia 3D Vision 2 kit apparently forces a 120hz RR upon the game in order for the stereoscopic display to work ( BF3 seems to accept a 144hz RR even in stereo though ), but it goes back to wherever the desktop was set to upon leaving the stereo-enabled application.
I'll have to test whether the trick still works when I try to play a game in pure 2D mode, though. Also, I'll have to add 144hz back but I reckon this won't be a big problem Wink

May I suggest then that you add 120hz non-strobbed as another choice for any StrobeLight future update ? Obviously this would have to be mutually exclusive with 120hz strobbed...
10-07-2013, 10:33 PM (Last edited: 10-07-2013, 10:34 PM by mdrejhon)
An alternate way Stereoscopic 3D coexist with LightBoost, is simply to use the Control+T method to switch between 2D LightBoost and 3D LightBoost. Alternate LightBoost HOWTO #2, located at http://www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/howto/

But Strobelight has several benefits, like easy ON/OFF, multimonitor support, and the hotkeys.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
Owner of BlurBusters.com and TestUFO.com