Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
11-02-2013, 11:00 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(11-02-2013 10:11 PM)gooksta Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 10:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  That's weird. Ctrl+T shouldn't have any effect if stereoscopic 3D is not enabled. Is it still like that after rebooting?

yes, I've rebootted numerous times and just tried installing my gfx drivers. Sad
I don't see how Ctrl+T could have caused that. Let's check one thing at a time: driver, monitor, and refresh rates.

Driver: When you reinstalled the driver, did you try the "clean installation" option? That should get rid of any old settings. Did you remember to remove GeForce Experience?

Monitor: Perhaps the monitor is in a confused state. Try unplugging the monitor's power for a few seconds. Then plug it back in and reinitialize the monitor with Strobelight.

Refresh rates: Run the Strobelight setup program and reinstall the refresh rates.

Does strobing work on the desktop? Make sure strobing is on before starting the game. If strobing is working on the desktop but not in the game, then the game is switching to the wrong refresh rate for some reason.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2013, 06:26 AM
(11-02-2013 03:15 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  There's no way for Windows 8.1 to cause what you described. If the program starts without any errors, then LightBoost is unlocked. The only other thing that could go wrong is the proper resolution is not being set, in which case the monitor wouldn't be in 3D mode and the colors shouldn't change.

If the monitor's menu shows 3D mode, there shouldn't be any motion blur. If you're seeing a double image effect, that would indicate a frame rate issue and not a problem with the strobing.

You should see a strobing effect if you wave your finger in front of the screen. If the monitor is in 3D mode but it's not strobing, then something weird is going on.

I think it's strobing (i can see the different between strobing on and off when I wave my hands in front of the monitor) but when I move a window around the desktop, it's not blur-free as it was in windows 7. I'd say it's less blurry compared to when the strobing is turned off but not quite there as before. Sorry, it's kind of hard to explain.

I think this person is also having the same issue, but not sure if the person was using the same program:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040301461

I'm loving windows 8.1 so far, but I'm thinking of going back to windows 7 as can't stand the "blurry-ness" after using your program on Windows 7 Smile

I have a GTX680 graphic card on 331.58 driver.
11-03-2013, 07:51 AM
That sounds like this: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...rformance/

That's a desktop frame rate issue unrelated to LightBoost. It shouldn't affect anything other than window movements and UI animations. It shouldn't affect games.

Strobelight is working like it should. Lower frame rates will have a ghosting effect with LightBoost because of retinal persistence combined with strobing while your eyes are moving.

Based on what people are reporting in that thread, I think reducing the timer resolution can work around the frame rate issue.

Try this program: http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

Does the issue go away if you run that program and click the "Maximum" button?
11-03-2013, 09:43 AM
(11-03-2013 07:51 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  That sounds like this: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...rformance/

That's a desktop frame rate issue unrelated to LightBoost. It shouldn't affect anything other than window movements and UI animations. It shouldn't affect games.

Strobelight is working like it should. Lower frame rates will have a ghosting effect with LightBoost because of retinal persistence combined with strobing while your eyes are moving.

Based on what people are reporting in that thread, I think reducing the timer resolution can work around the frame rate issue.

Try this program: http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

Does the issue go away if you run that program and click the "Maximum" button?

Thanks for the links.

I've ran the timer-resolution program, set to maximum, then confirmed using the DPCLC but still the same.

I've disconnected my second monitor, uninstalled the nvidia driver, installed the default windows 8.1 graphic driver, then re-ran the strobelight + timer resolution program but doesn't seem to fix it either.

So as long as the UFO motion test works fine, there should be absolutely no issues in games?

Hm, I guess I should just live with it for now then Sad
11-04-2013, 12:09 AM
I hope you can help me with this, i have got a sapphire 7970 and a benq xl2411t, i installed strobelight following your instructions in the first post. It does work for me, i notice the difference. However there is a huge problem.

Whenever i start my computer, after the windows logo (Windows 8 pro 64 bit), my screen stays black, it is lit, but it's black. Sometimes the login screen will come after 5 to 10 minutes, sometimes it won't. I always have to restart in safe mode to make it work again. I'hve read the whole thread but didn't find any solution. Using DVI, my card has only 1 of it.

Refresh rates set to 120HZ strobed, 100HZ strobed, 121HZ, 144HZ.
11-04-2013, 01:22 AM
(11-04-2013 12:09 AM)qutek Wrote:  Whenever i start my computer, after the windows logo (Windows 8 pro 64 bit), my screen stays black, it is lit, but it's black. Sometimes the login screen will come after 5 to 10 minutes, sometimes it won't. I always have to restart in safe mode to make it work again.
Does that happen even when Strobelight is not in the startup folder?
11-04-2013, 01:38 AM
(11-03-2013 09:43 AM)stevolution84 Wrote:  So as long as the UFO motion test works fine, there should be absolutely no issues in games?
If the UFO test is fine, then it's working. You shouldn't have any issues with games.
11-05-2013, 02:24 PM (Last edited: 11-05-2013, 02:52 PM by willow)
I have a problem with strobelight.
I install strobelight.
Under desktop, lightboost is activated (I have benqxl2420T and green LEd is turn on) but when I launch a game in fullscreen mode, green led is turn off.
In windowed mode, green led is turn on
Why? How solve this problem?

I have windows 7 and gtx780 with the last driver (331.65)
11-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Something is changing the refresh rate. Check the NVIDIA control panel under "Manage 3D settings" and make sure "Preferred refresh rate" is set to "Application controlled" and not "Highest available" so it doesn't force a non-strobed refresh rate.
11-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the return of the sound.