Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
12-19-2013, 06:01 AM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(12-17-2013 11:12 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-17-2013 06:20 AM)Snow Wrote:  Same here. After updating from beta 2 to beta 3, I got this error message every windows startup. I've tried uninstall strobelight and than install beta 3 and still got this error every startup! BenQ XL2411T monitor. Win7*64. NVidia 314.22 drivers.
I tracked this down to a Windows issue where if everything loads too quickly, the refresh rates aren't available when the program starts because the desktop isn't available yet.

See if this fixes the problem: https://www.monitortests.com/strobelight-beta4.zip

I added a check to make sure the desktop is available before checking the refresh rates.
New, bigger problem popped out with this version for me. Monitor is completely black at logon screen. Maybe something else are loading before it needs to be loaded? Maybe monitor initialization?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2013, 03:49 AM
(12-19-2013 06:01 AM)Snow Wrote:  New, bigger problem popped out with this version for me. Monitor is completely black at logon screen. Maybe something else are loading before it needs to be loaded? Maybe monitor initialization?
The new version wouldn't cause that. Programs in the Startup folder don't even load until after logging in, and the program doesn't need to be running for the monitor to display a picture. Something else is going on.

If this happens after logging in, does moving the mouse or pressing a key wake up the monitor?
12-20-2013, 05:49 PM
(12-20-2013 03:49 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  If this happens after logging in, does moving the mouse or pressing a key wake up the monitor?
No, it is not in sleep mode during that time. It is not receiving signal or smth. like that. Problem is only can be avoided, for me, through removing strobelight.exe from autoload. By the way, even without it loading with windows, monitor is working in strobed regime.
12-21-2013, 03:00 AM (Last edited: 12-21-2013, 03:35 AM by Dragonheart)
First of all - thanks for all the hard work with the util!

A few questions.. Is it completely impossible to force lightboost with 144Hz refresh?
Is it ok that I feel a huge difference in input lag between 120HZ lightboost and 144Hz? Lightboost mode completely suxx for me. I was using CRT till the last time, since I'm very sensitive to it, so it can't be an autosuggestion.

Also, in non lightboost mode there's an option to disable DDC/CI. Is disabling it able to decrease input lag by removing some overheads or smth? And what about overdrive and input lag? How much will it increase lag it it will?

Thx!

Benq XL2411T
AMD Radeon HD7950
12-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Is there any way to get this to work with Viewsonic V3D241WM?
12-21-2013, 03:55 PM
(12-21-2013 02:00 PM)sl0wi Wrote:  Is there any way to get this to work with Viewsonic V3D241WM?
No. That monitor doesn't have LightBoost.
12-21-2013, 04:03 PM
(12-21-2013 03:00 AM)Dragonheart Wrote:  A few questions.. Is it completely impossible to force lightboost with 144Hz refresh?
LightBoost only works at 120/110/100 Hz.

(12-21-2013 03:00 AM)Dragonheart Wrote:  Is it ok that I feel a huge difference in input lag between 120HZ lightboost and 144Hz? Lightboost mode completely suxx for me. I was using CRT till the last time, since I'm very sensitive to it, so it can't be an autosuggestion.
There is a difference, but it shouldn't be a huge difference. 144 Hz takes about 6.944 ms to refresh, and you can see the entire refresh from top to bottom. 120 Hz takes about 8.333 ms to refresh, but with LightBoost, the backlight only strobes after the refresh is over. That means the top line of the screen has about 8.333 ms more lag, but the bottom only has about 1.389 ms more, so the average lag is only about 4.861 ms. That's not a huge amount.

(12-21-2013 03:00 AM)Dragonheart Wrote:  Also, in non lightboost mode there's an option to disable DDC/CI. Is disabling it able to decrease input lag by removing some overheads or smth? And what about overdrive and input lag? How much will it increase lag it it will?
None of the monitor options will make a difference with lag. DDC/CI is for monitor communication and is needed to activate LightBoost and control brightness. Overdrive affects pixel response times, not lag.
12-21-2013, 04:14 PM
(12-20-2013 05:49 PM)Snow Wrote:  No, it is not in sleep mode during that time. It is not receiving signal or smth. like that. Problem is only can be avoided, for me, through removing strobelight.exe from autoload.
I don't see how that could happen. Programs in the Startup folder shouldn't affect the login screen, and there's nothing about the program that would cause a black screen except for the sleep mode during initialization, which would only happen after logging in. The only thing different about the new version is it waits for the desktop to be available before continuing.

(12-20-2013 05:49 PM)Snow Wrote:  By the way, even without it loading with windows, monitor is working in strobed regime.
The program is only needed to unlock LightBoost and for hotkeys. It doesn't need to be running after the monitor is initialized.
12-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Hey, I have a problem. I installed the programm and set the options how I wanted them. But then after rebooting I just got a blackscreen. I could see the the windows startup thing but then my monitor gave me the message that it lost connection eventough my computer was still running.

In case it helps, I use a benq xlt420te and a second monitor but it also lost connection, furthermore I use a nvidia gtx 680 and windows 7 also it maybe is importaint to say that I used win+r to start the programm.

Could you please help me, I think it has something to do that the programm is starting automatically but how can I turn that of before windows is booted up fully and it starts? I'm looking forward to your response.
12-24-2013, 06:09 PM (Last edited: 12-24-2013, 06:10 PM by HyPhEn)
Have some questions guys:

I have 3 asus vg248QE in surround on Windows 8.1 pro and i run 3 GTX 680 4GB Cards.

I ran toastys strobelight-setup. Then selected 120hz strobed and 144hz and 60hz non-strobed then rebooted. (Did not uninstall geforce exp) I will do that though next time i run it.

So upon booting back in. My sign in screen and icons are really big(like resolution changed?) I checked in nvidia and it says i am still 5760x1080. So i ran strobelight main app. Then it check monitors and activated. Seemed all was well. Had lightbulb lower right hand corner.

So is it normal to have these enlarged icons?(Can this be changed back to normal somehow?) Also there are some things i am confused on as well. Do i have to enable stereoscopic 3d with this. Or is this the way around it?

Also i did not see any extra settings in my osd menu on monitors? Should i be concerned with settings for this area? Because i have no idea what they do. I have not done any research yet on this.

Am I supposed to change refresh to 120hz instead of 144hz in both nvidia control panel and windows? Or do i leave it alone?

Any help would be great. I am excited about getting this up and running. Thanks..