should the ASUS VG248QE hurt my eyes?
09-21-2013, 08:28 PM (Last edited: 09-21-2013, 08:39 PM by Samuel Adams)
should the ASUS VG248QE hurt my eyes?
Greetings,

I'm coming from an ASUS VS248H-P monitor that I used for a year. That was an easy set up right out of the box and I had no issues with it. My son needed a new monitor for his rig so his upgrade became mine.

I just received the VG248QE yesterday and it's killing my eyes. I'm an old school gamer and remember my old 20" Sony CRT running at 100hz and how great that felt on the eyes compared to the lower refresh rates but it seems like I'm getting the opposite effect with this monitor. I'm getting headaches, eyestrain and/or feeling nauseous.

I've read a few similar complaints in reviews from Newegg and Amazon but for the most part people seem to really enjoy this monitor. The ICC profiles I installed do help with the color and whatnot but my eyes can't take this. Is it possible that I have a bad unit? I did get an open-box deal for $200 from Newegg. Before I return the monitor, I'm wondering if there's something I missed that I can try.

Gaming wise the picture looks great. I have no issues with light-boost using your program and absolutely notice the difference. Its really is pretty cool but I also do a lot of reading and other things.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I guess it could just be me and my old age but I honestly expected the night and day difference even on my desktop that others have seen coming from a 60hz.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2013, 12:37 AM
RE: should the ASUS VG248QE hurt my eyes?
I don't know what could cause eyestrain issues other than flicker and brightness. Flicker is essential to the way LightBoost works, and LightBoost already reduces the brightness, so there's not much you can do about the LightBoost modes.

My recommendation would be to switch to 144 Hz when not playing games. If you're still having problems at 144 Hz, you might be sensitive to the PWM flicker. 144 Hz has the least noticeable flicker, but there's still flicker because that monitor uses PWM for brightness control.

You might be better off with a flicker-free monitor like the BenQ XL2420TE. That monitor has zero flicker in non-LightBoost modes.
09-22-2013, 02:00 AM
ToastyX,

I am still having issues even at 144hz on the desktop with the VG248QE. I didn't install the monitor driver from the CD that came with it but I don't think that would have anything to do with it. I found a better Nvidia profile anyway.

If I'm having issues with PWM from the VG248QE, would I possibly have similar issues in LightBoost mode using the XL2420TE due to the flicker? I guess I could live without LightBoost but it was pretty cool for the limited time I experienced it on the VG248QE.

I actually liked the VS248H-P before I gave it to my son. I was sort of hoping for an upgrade on the monitor side for myself.

I'm only running a single GTX680 at the moment and am contemplating a second or maybe moving forward to the 780. Should I even bother with a XL2420TE with only one 680?

I'm hoping to find a monitor soon as this one is getting shipped back Monday. I live out in the Country so I don't have access to any stores to try different monitors out.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for all the questions. I've spent a great deal of time reading your forum and you've been quite helpful to everyone.
09-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Apparently the VS248H-P also has noticeable PWM flicker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdbKCP2CJLM

If the VS248H-P didn't bother you, then I'm not sure what's causing your issue. If CRTs didn't bother you, then LightBoost shouldn't be an issue either.

In non-LightBoost modes, you can eliminate PWM flicker by setting the brightness to 100%. The XL2420TE would allow brightness adjustment without PWM flicker. If that doesn't help, then I don't know what would.
09-22-2013, 04:02 AM
Brightness at 100% with my VG248QE is impossible. It's way too bright beyond 30. I tried every calibration measure possible but it kills my eyes. Oddly enough I purchased two VS248H-P units a year ago. One for myself and the other for my better half that sits in the same room about 4 feet away. I have no issues with either monitor. I can only conclude that there must be something wrong with this unit. I have never experienced so much discomfort from a monitor before.

Do you get any credit if I order that Benq from the Amazon link you supplied? I thought I read something in another thread that indicated you would. If that's the case, I think I'll give that one a try. Can't be any worse than what ive been going through the last 24 hours. I ended up taking it down and am without a monitor for now.

Thanks.
09-22-2013, 02:06 PM
(09-22-2013 04:02 AM)Samuel Adams Wrote:  Do you get any credit if I order that Benq from the Amazon link you supplied? I thought I read something in another thread that indicated you would. If that's the case, I think I'll give that one a try.
Yes. Even if you don't end up using the LightBoost feature, the XL2420TE is the only flicker-free 144 Hz monitor available.
09-22-2013, 03:22 PM
I made my son use a Coby HDTV for now until I resolve this and took back my old monitor for the moment. Now that I know the VS248H-P is PWM as well, I feel like my eyes are still straining a little. Although, I have been in front of it for over two hours without a headache or any nausea so that is a step in the right direction. I wonder if my mind is screwing with me now.

If I were to try the VG248QE one last time with the brightness at 100% but then reduce the brightness using the Nvidia control panel, would that defeat the purpose? I'm not going to spend too much more time with it but that is something I didn't try and started thinking about it after you mentioned turning the brightness to 100% should eliminate PWM flicker.

Otherwise, I'm gonna order that Benq from Amazon. They have the lowest price on the Internet for one, you get credit for the sale, and I get free 2 day shipping with prime. It really can't get any better than that.
09-22-2013, 04:21 PM
That will work, but it will hurt the contrast. The brightness setting also crushes dark colors. You'll want to reduce the contrast instead, but NVIDIA's contrast setting is weird. You have to reduce both brightness and contrast to balance each other out, something like 25% brightness with 0% contrast. It'd be better to reduce the contrast setting in the monitor first.
09-24-2013, 03:18 AM
I decided to send back the VG248QE in favor of the XL2420TE. I saved $20 purchasing it from Newegg VS Amazon over the weekend using a promo code Newegg had but the deal has since expired. I'll have the XL2420TE Wednesday.

I still kicked you a little something via Paypal though. Thanks for the help. I look forward to trying this again with a flicker free monitor.

I'd like to point out that as of this post, Amazon has the best deal for the XL2420TE.

You really can't go wrong with amazon! I got lucky with a last day promo code and of course Newegg was willing to waive a 15% restocking fee for the return of the old monitor in favor of the new one. Amazon doesn't charge a restocking fee so I'd strongly suggest anyone reading this go through Amazon over Newegg.

Thanks, Toasty!
09-26-2013, 01:21 AM (Last edited: 09-26-2013, 01:23 AM by Samuel Adams)
Update:

I received the XL2420TE today and what a difference. The colors, brightness, and default profiles are so much better. Best of all, no headaches, no nausea, and with just 5 minutes of configuring the monitor, I have it where I want it.

I finally got that night and day difference I was looking for.