Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-24-2023, 09:25 PM (Last edited: 09-24-2023, 09:31 PM by Dinkles)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hey,
I’m wondering if anyone can help me.

I have a AG493UCX monitor with a 5120x1440@120hz native resolution.

However, the monitor/windows appears to believe the native resolution is 3840x1080 which is a huge issue for a number of reasons.

For example,
When I switch to my other monitor and return to this monitor (via NCP) windows resets the resolution to 3840x1080.

When I play a game using NIS the game is actually downscaled to 3840x1080 then stretched up to 5120x1440 which looks beyond awful and really makes NIS unusable.

The monitor works perfectly at 5120x1440@120hz
The monitors native resolution is 5120x1440@120hz
I am using DP

The monitor basically tells windows (for some unknown reason) that its native res is 3840x1080 and this causes me so many issues. If there is any way to use CRU to change the “recommended” resolution or simply have it always default to 5120 that would be great.

I tried using CRU and simply changing the resolutions to 5120, however the numbers turn red and don’t allow me to save them, even though I am using the correct resolution and timings.

I googled the issue and found a Reddit post that led here, is there anyone here who can help me out with how to get this 5120x1440 monitor to simply recognise and register its actual “recommended” resolution by default.

That’s folks, and also thanks for creating CRU as I just used it on my C3 to delete the 4k resolutions that were also causing issues with scaling, so thanks for that info, the tool and the guide.

49” AG493UCX
Windows 10
RTX 3080
Latest Nvidia Driver / Window up to date etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2023, 02:07 AM
(09-24-2023 09:25 PM)Dinkles Wrote:  The monitor basically tells windows (for some unknown reason) that its native res is 3840x1080 and this causes me so many issues. If there is any way to use CRU to change the “recommended” resolution or simply have it always default to 5120 that would be great.

I tried using CRU and simply changing the resolutions to 5120, however the numbers turn red and don’t allow me to save them, even though I am using the correct resolution and timings.
The monitor probably does report the correct native resolution, but the graphics driver is not reporting it correctly to Windows. I can check what the monitor reports if you run this and post the test.txt file here: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip

CRU currently doesn't have a way to change the native resolution above 4095x4095 because of standards limitations, and newer standards weren't fully adopted by graphics drivers the last time I checked, so I couldn't find a way to make it work without deleting every other resolution.
09-26-2023, 02:09 AM
(09-23-2023 06:14 PM)sofakng Wrote:  Do you have any suggested resources I can use to research this?

I’d love to be able to build a dongle for people that supports 4K/120 HDR without needing anything else.

I’ve ordered a CAT24C208 EEPROM which supports segment pointers so it should support 512 byte EDID.

However it sounds like I need to figure out to trick the source into allowing higher pixel clocks…
HDMI is proprietary and the standard is not freely available, which makes this information hard to find.
09-26-2023, 08:12 AM
(09-26-2023 02:07 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-24-2023 09:25 PM)Dinkles Wrote:  The monitor basically tells windows (for some unknown reason) that its native res is 3840x1080 and this causes me so many issues. If there is any way to use CRU to change the “recommended” resolution or simply have it always default to 5120 that would be great.

The monitor probably does report the correct native resolution, but the graphics driver is not reporting it correctly to Windows. I can check what the monitor reports if you run this and post the test.txt file here: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip

CRU currently doesn't have a way to change the native resolution above 4095x4095 because of standards limitations, and newer standards weren't fully adopted by graphics drivers the last time I checked, so I couldn't find a way to make it work without deleting every other resolution.

Thanks toasty,
I’ll run this after work and post the results shortly.

Will it assist much though if we are unable to set native res above 4095?

If the nVidia driver is picking it up wrong, can we amended that so the driver/card/monitor recognise the “actual” recommended resolution of 5120 as its honestly so frustrating having the monitor reset every time I switch to my other monitor and not being able to use things like scaling etc as they all try to scale to the incorrect “recommended” resolution.

You’d think nVidia/Microsoft and AOC could get the basics.

I’ll run this asap and post the results..
09-26-2023, 05:53 PM
Hey, Toasty; thank you so much for this utility. I had no idea it existed and was pulling my hair out until SurfaceDockGuy on Reddit sent me your way.

I have a Surface Book 2 13" i7/1050 (3000x2000@59), an LG 2560x1440 I've dropped to 30, and an LG 2560x2880 that I was previously able to drop to 30 so I could run all three monitors, but something happened a couple weekends ago, and now I cannot get it to save 2560x2880@30. CRU says a restart is required, but I have restarted multiple times to no avail. The highest resolution available in settings is 2560x2048@59. This was working for many weeks before whatever happened happened. Running 11 Pro, 22H2, Build 22621.2283.

Any idea is greatly appreciated.
09-27-2023, 11:00 PM
Thank you for creating this utility.

I have an old ASUS VE247H.

I was using CRU for a while to enable 1920x1080 resolution and it has been working.
However, it just happened recently the monitor is not recognized and only works under 1024x768 resolution, and Windows 11 detected it as a Generic Non-PnP Monitor.
When I tried to use CRU, there was this "(restart required)" text following the device. And this monitor is not showing as "(active)". Restarting the computer and using restart.exe and restart64.exe does not change the status of this "(restart required)".

Any suggestions why this is the case? I am using a Nvidia 2060 mobile GPU and updated to the latest driver.
09-28-2023, 04:33 AM
(09-27-2023 11:00 PM)windenchanter Wrote:  Thank you for creating this utility.

I was using CRU for a while to enable 1920x1080 resolution and it has been working.
However, it just happened recently the monitor is not recognized and only works under 1024x768 resolution, and Windows 11 detected it as a Generic Non-PnP Monitor.
When I tried to use CRU, there was this "(restart required)" text following the device. And this monitor is not showing as "(active)". Restarting the computer and using restart.exe and restart64.exe does not change the status of this "(restart required)".

Any suggestions why this is the case? I am using a Nvidia 2060 mobile GPU and updated to the latest driver.
You shouldn't need to use CRU to enable 1920x1080. Generic Non-PnP Monitor means the graphics driver is not getting a valid EDID from the monitor, so either the EDID is corrupted on the monitor, which can happen sometimes with old monitors, or something is wrong with the cable. Windows 11 ignores EDID overrides for monitors without a valid EDID, which Windows lists as Generic Non-PnP Monitor, so CRU will not work in this case.

You have three options:

1. The easiest option would be if you're using the DVI port on the monitor, try using the HDMI port, or vice versa. Usually each port has a separate EDID, so the other one might not be corrupted. HDMI-DVI cables/adapters work in both directions, so you should be able to convert between them easily if needed.

2. If you're using HDMI on the computer's end, you can get one of these to emulate a proper EDID: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YMS18T7/?tag=mtests-20#ad

3. If you have access to an AMD/ATI GPU, I have a program that can fix the EDID: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...yID-Writer

You will need to figure out a way to enter the service menu, which usually involves holding down the menu button while powering on the monitor for ASUS monitors. Then press the menu button to enter the service menu, and enable "burn in mode" to disable write protection. Then you should be able to use EDWriter to read the EDID, which should give you an option to fix the EDID if it's corrupted, and then write the fixed EDID to the monitor.
09-28-2023, 04:35 AM
(09-26-2023 05:53 PM)Drew707 Wrote:  Hey, Toasty; thank you so much for this utility. I had no idea it existed and was pulling my hair out until SurfaceDockGuy on Reddit sent me your way.

I have a Surface Book 2 13" i7/1050 (3000x2000@59), an LG 2560x1440 I've dropped to 30, and an LG 2560x2880 that I was previously able to drop to 30 so I could run all three monitors, but something happened a couple weekends ago, and now I cannot get it to save 2560x2880@30. CRU says a restart is required, but I have restarted multiple times to no avail. The highest resolution available in settings is 2560x2048@59. This was working for many weeks before whatever happened happened. Running 11 Pro, 22H2, Build 22621.2283.

Any idea is greatly appreciated.
How did you drop it to 30 Hz before? CRU often has no effect on laptop screens with Intel GPUs because of driver restrictions. If something changed that used to work before, then Windows probably updated the driver to a newer version automatically, and the newer driver either has a bug or some new restriction that's preventing you from getting the correct resolutions. You should probably report this to Intel support.
09-28-2023, 04:36 AM
(09-26-2023 08:12 AM)Dinkles Wrote:  Thanks toasty,
I’ll run this after work and post the results shortly.

Will it assist much though if we are unable to set native res above 4095?

If the nVidia driver is picking it up wrong, can we amended that so the driver/card/monitor recognise the “actual” recommended resolution of 5120 as its honestly so frustrating having the monitor reset every time I switch to my other monitor and not being able to use things like scaling etc as they all try to scale to the incorrect “recommended” resolution.

You’d think nVidia/Microsoft and AOC could get the basics.

I’ll run this asap and post the results..
I just want to see if the monitor is defining the correct native resolution or if it's an NVIDIA driver issue. It's possible to make the native resolution higher with CRU if you delete all the other resolutions, which includes anything in extension blocks and data blocks.
09-28-2023, 03:16 PM
(09-28-2023 04:33 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-27-2023 11:00 PM)windenchanter Wrote:  Thank you for creating this utility.

You shouldn't need to use CRU to enable 1920x1080. Generic Non-PnP Monitor means the graphics driver is not getting a valid EDID from the monitor, so either the EDID is corrupted on the monitor, which can happen sometimes with old monitors, or something is wrong with the cable. Windows 11 ignores EDID overrides for monitors without a valid EDID, which Windows lists as Generic Non-PnP Monitor, so CRU will not work in this case.

You have three options:

1. The easiest option would be if you're using the DVI port on the monitor, try using the HDMI port, or vice versa. Usually each port has a separate EDID, so the other one might not be corrupted. HDMI-DVI cables/adapters work in both directions, so you should be able to convert between them easily if needed.

2. If you're using HDMI on the computer's end, you can get one of these to emulate a proper EDID: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YMS18T7/?tag=mtests-20#ad

3. If you have access to an AMD/ATI GPU, I have a program that can fix the EDID: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...yID-Writer

You will need to figure out a way to enter the service menu, which usually involves holding down the menu button while powering on the monitor for ASUS monitors. Then press the menu button to enter the service menu, and enable "burn in mode" to disable write protection. Then you should be able to use EDWriter to read the EDID, which should give you an option to fix the EDID if it's corrupted, and then write the fixed EDID to the monitor.

Thank you for your valuable suggestions.
I will look into the debugging options. Its great to know that windows 11 will not accept override when monitor is not supplying valid EDID. I know understand it's just an issue with the monitor or HDMI cable.
I used Nvidia control panel to set custom resolution, its working but since the real resolution is still 1024x768, it's just a bit blurry. I think that works for me for office work for now, but if I will also try a new HDMI cable to see if that is the problem (the two cables I swapped and tried already are both old cables)