Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-11-2014, 05:04 PM (Last edited: 12-11-2014, 05:05 PM by network4me)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
@ToastX
oh brother thanks so much when you answered i was actually editing my post with the gpu scaling thing i missed.

Then what option in that pane do i have to set front porch back porch sync width and refres rate exactly 60hz beside giving exact 1920 1080
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2014, 05:52 PM
(12-11-2014 05:04 PM)network4me Wrote:  @ToastX
oh brother thanks so much when you answered i was actually editing my post with the gpu scaling thing i missed.

Then what option in that pane do i have to set front porch back porch sync width and refres rate exactly 60hz beside giving exact 1920 1080
The "LCD standard" option should fill those in for you. The 2209WA will accept both 1920x1200 and 1920x1080, but 1920x1080 will be stretched to the wrong aspect ratio.

The GPU scaling option in the driver is for scaling lower resolutions to the native resolution. CRU can't be used to scale higher resolutions down to the native resolution. The video card will send the higher resolution to the monitor. In this case, your monitor will accept 1920x1200 and scale it down itself, so it will work.
12-11-2014, 06:00 PM (Last edited: 12-11-2014, 06:46 PM by network4me)
(12-11-2014 05:52 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 05:04 PM)network4me Wrote:  @ToastX

The "LCD standard" option should fill those in for you. The 2209WA will accept both 1920x1200 and 1920x1080, but 1920x1080 will be stretched to the wrong aspect ratio.

The GPU scaling option in the driver is for scaling lower resolutions to the native resolution. CRU can't be used to scale higher resolutions down to the native resolution. The video card will send the higher resolution to the monitor. In this case, your monitor will accept 1920x1200 and scale it down itself, so it will work.

so in layman terms Big Grin i dont have to enable gpu scaling (getting it wrong in the first place ) just simple LCD standard ok and reboot. Thanks will post the success news fingers crossed, here goes all or nothing...

@ToastyX

@ToastyX

here is the result, a bit confusing as reported maximum 75hz but in list mode available 60hz , both for 1920 x 1200 which i got thanks to your fantastic tool Smile, so what refresh rate am i in ?
beside can i do something about anitaliasing as my screen definitely suffering from it, my catalyst set to app managed about it and sample method set to multisampling , standard 3D settings is balanced,Tessellation amd optimzed , Anisotropic filtering app managed ,any thing do i need to tweak here , i know these questions getting related to a specific card,so my question would be based on your experience do you think i need to enhance the refresh rate ?as from the picture doesnt they look a bit aliased from the previous attachment?

Thanks

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-11-2014, 07:37 PM
(12-11-2014 06:00 PM)network4me Wrote:  here is the result, a bit confusing as reported maximum 75hz but in list mode available 60hz , both for 1920 x 1200 which i got thanks to your fantastic tool Smile, so what refresh rate am i in ?
That's just the maximum at any particular resolution. You have 75 Hz defined for 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and 1152x864.

The monitor is running at 60 Hz. In CCC, check under Desktop Management > Desktop Properties. It should match the Windows screen resolution settings.

(12-11-2014 06:00 PM)network4me Wrote:  beside can i do something about anitaliasing as my screen definitely suffering from it, my catalyst set to app managed about it and sample method set to multisampling , standard 3D settings is balanced,Tessellation amd optimzed , Anisotropic filtering app managed ,any thing do i need to tweak here , i know these questions getting related to a specific card,so my question would be based on your experience do you think i need to enhance the refresh rate ?as from the picture doesnt they look a bit aliased from the previous attachment?
The monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050. Higher resolutions will not look as sharp. There's no point in using a higher than native resolution if you're going to use antialiasing, and the antialiasing options won't affect the desktop. A screen shot is not going to show how the monitor is scaling.
12-11-2014, 08:03 PM
@ToastyX

yes i understand your point, and given that i am able to play video files without any loss or stutter, your explanation certainly suffice for my scenario(and mind you its not that bad given i am sitting in front of the monitor for hours if not days Blush ),all i have to do is to try some video capturing stuff to see how they pan out say 1080p video using OBS tool, i will post the performance result on here. Thanks a lot buddy.
12-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Hello, first, thank you for the utility. Now I'm having an issue. Last night I set it to 1080p 75hz. But never restarted. Today I restarted and found my monitor did not support this. The Monitor is a Dell Ultrasharp U2414H over Displayport from an MSI GTX 970 Gaming. So I switched over to an older monitor and used reset-all.exe. Now my monitor/GPU do not detect anything over displayport at all. I did a factory reset on the monitor and reinstalled the GPU drivers and still nothing. HDMI works fine. Did CRU change something that now needs to be undone?
12-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry if this has already been posted about and I missed it.

I can get the CRU to work and fix the resolution, but:
A. If I fix the resolution, I lose sound.
B. If I enable the extension block and import one of the HDMI audio dat files, the resolution breaks again.

Has anyone found a way around this?

Connection: HDMI
Graphics Card: Nvidia

-Trevor
12-13-2014, 01:10 PM
(12-12-2014 06:07 PM)Pillowhands Wrote:  Hello, first, thank you for the utility. Now I'm having an issue. Last night I set it to 1080p 75hz. But never restarted. Today I restarted and found my monitor did not support this. The Monitor is a Dell Ultrasharp U2414H over Displayport from an MSI GTX 970 Gaming. So I switched over to an older monitor and used reset-all.exe. Now my monitor/GPU do not detect anything over displayport at all. I did a factory reset on the monitor and reinstalled the GPU drivers and still nothing. HDMI works fine. Did CRU change something that now needs to be undone?
CRU only creates EDID overrides, and reset-all.exe removes all overrides. Either NVIDIA has a driver bug that caused the port to be disabled, or there's a hardware issue.

Just in case the monitor is stuck in a confused state, try unplugging the monitor's power for one minute to reset it.

If that doesn't help, use DDU to completely uninstall the NVIDIA driver: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Nothing should persist in software after that.
12-13-2014, 01:27 PM
(12-12-2014 09:32 PM)trevor.s.13 Wrote:  I can get the CRU to work and fix the resolution, but:
A. If I fix the resolution, I lose sound.
B. If I enable the extension block and import one of the HDMI audio dat files, the resolution breaks again.
What do you mean by fix the resolution? What are you trying to fix and what resolution?

NVIDIA might treat HDTV resolutions differently if HDMI support information is present, but HDMI support is required for audio to work.

For HDTV resolutions like 1920x1080, try using the "LCD reduced" timing option.
12-13-2014, 02:10 PM (Last edited: 12-13-2014, 02:14 PM by trevor.s.13)
(12-13-2014 01:27 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  What do you mean by fix the resolution? What are you trying to fix and what resolution?

NVIDIA might treat HDTV resolutions differently if HDMI support information is present, but HDMI support is required for audio to work.

For HDTV resolutions like 1920x1080, try using the "LCD reduced" timing option.

Using CRU I can get 1920x1080 60 on my HDTV. The video works perfectly, but in exchange sound stops working. I enabled the block and then imported HDAudio.dat, but this makes both sound and video (video extends beyond the screen again) fail until I reset and restart graphics. I can't seem to get sound and video both working at the same time.

-Trevor