Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-06-2016, 02:40 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(09-04-2016 11:44 PM)cskhola Wrote:  Had no idea there were 'active' and 'passive' adaptors. Looks like the guy at harvey norman didnt know either LOL. I've been googling for some active adaptors, should I be worried about the maximum bandwidth/chipset in the cable at all? Cause some cables are 10 bucks, some are almost a 100. I did not touch anything in CRU, so i think currently this might be the problem, this cable is definitely a passive one.
It just needs to be a dual-link adapter. Unfortunately, dual-link DVI adapters are not cheap. The cheap ones are single-link DVI.

(09-04-2016 11:44 PM)cskhola Wrote:  Edit: does this sound like it can support 144hz?
Volans (VL-AMDPD) Active Mini DisplayPort (V1.2) to DVI M-F Converter with 4K Support
Compliant with the DisplayPort Standard, Version 1.1a and 1.2
Support DisplayPort 1, 2 and 4 lanes
Support full link training
HDMI 1.4 compliant with maximum data rate 3.0 Gbps
Content protection of HDCP 1.3 for DisplayPort and HDMI
Support 4K x 2K and 1080P Stereo 3D HDMI formats
Support Eyefiniy
It doesn't say anything about dual-link DVI. I don't know why it mentions HDMI when it's a DVI adapter.

(09-04-2016 11:44 PM)cskhola Wrote:  Edit 2:
Looks like even with the active adaptor it didnt work, I did not change any settings on CRU, only listing the options that have 'active' beside them.
What adapter did you get?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2016, 10:17 PM
(09-04-2016 02:46 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 09:36 PM)Mxoagn Wrote:  ATM i run a X34 Predator, using a 60hz CRU setting.
However i've noticed, but cant reproduce this in testing (unless its exactly what im thinking) sometimes i have to reset64 the drivers again to the CRU settings in order to get the games to run smoothly again, i think its if i turn my monitor off overnight whilst i download games and when i turn it back on in the morning, i go to play Watch Dogs @ half refresh vsync (30fps) combined with a Rivatuner 30fps lock and it will stutter randomly (Almost as if Vsync was out of allignment sorta stutter) but then resetting the graphics drivers with restart64 fixes it.

Not sure if turning my monitor off overnight messes around with CRUs settings? But thats the only conclusion i can come to, i've tested all other ways, if i reboot my pc whilst its acting stuttery and play it again it'll act the same all the way until i restart64 so i'm not sure.
If a problem goes away after running restart64.exe, that would indicate a driver issue. What video card do you have?

Definitely isnt a driver issue as it will consistently happen regardless of the amount of PC Reboots until Restart64 is done.
09-08-2016, 01:53 AM (Last edited: 09-08-2016, 02:09 AM by GraveUypo)
Quick question:

Is there a way i can get rid of the floating "Out of sync" OSD window that my monitor displays when i go above 80hz?

the screen itself can display up to 115hz without skipping nor corruption (starts corrupting at 120hz-ish), but when i create a resolution above 80hz the damn window will pop up after 4 seconds and stay there, even if the image IS displaying properly (which it is, tested it and it doesn't even skip frames. almost as good as my good old 144hz gsync screen).

i'd be happy as a tree with 95hz. 80hz on the other hand, is a bit choppy for someone used to 144hz :\ i mean, it's far better than 75 already, it's actually okay. i won't die if i can't increase it further, but the more hz the merrier.

my screen is a lg 34um68 (2560x1080 ultrawide screen that's 75hz freesync from factory).

it's so frustrating to see it working at 100hz but not to be able to use it like that because of that stupid window blocking the center of the screen Sad
so far i've only talked to people who are even more clueless than i am about this. here's hoping a wizard lives here and helps me out

ps: it's on display port 1.2. using a rx480
09-08-2016, 04:43 AM (Last edited: 09-08-2016, 04:46 AM by falkentyne)
(09-08-2016 01:53 AM)GraveUypo Wrote:  Quick question:

Is there a way i can get rid of the floating "Out of sync" OSD window that my monitor displays when i go above 80hz?

the screen itself can display up to 115hz without skipping nor corruption (starts corrupting at 120hz-ish), but when i create a resolution above 80hz the damn window will pop up after 4 seconds and stay there, even if the image IS displaying properly (which it is, tested it and it doesn't even skip frames. almost as good as my good old 144hz gsync screen).

i'd be happy as a tree with 95hz. 80hz on the other hand, is a bit choppy for someone used to 144hz :\ i mean, it's far better than 75 already, it's actually okay. i won't die if i can't increase it further, but the more hz the merrier.

my screen is a lg 34um68 (2560x1080 ultrawide screen that's 75hz freesync from factory).

it's so frustrating to see it working at 100hz but not to be able to use it like that because of that stupid window blocking the center of the screen Sad
so far i've only talked to people who are even more clueless than i am about this. here's hoping a wizard lives here and helps me out

ps: it's on display port 1.2. using a rx480

Any such option, if it exists, would probably be hidden in the service menu. But don't get your hopes up. Even if you knew the monitor button sequence to even get into the service menu, it might not do anything. You could try enabling "burn-in mode", but there's a 99% chance that wont stop the error. That might just cause the monitor to display some pretty RGB colors when a disconnected input source is chosen (on many monitors, this is HDMI).

That error is the monitor complaining about the timings.
The Benq Z series monitors do the same thing when you give it timings that the firmware doesn't like, but what the scalar can still actually display, so it "warns" you that the timings are improper, but doesn't completely lock you from use. For example, 1024x768@85hz, well, ANY 85hz display scaled refresh rate that is LOWER than native (meaning: not GPU scaled, and lower than 1920x1080) will show "Out of Range" even though you will still get the display. You can "get rid" of the error by pressing an OSD button to select the same input source you are currently using, which will cause the error to disappear after you select the input source currently active---then you can use the screen without any overlays covering it--until you press ANY osd button again. Then the error will reappear. Of course you're locked out of all OSD adjustments like this.

See if you can press a monitor button and select the same input source (DVI or displayport) and make the error go away.

Otherwise you'll have to bug LG's engineers for a "test" firmware that won't complain if the monitor can display an image. But you have a 0% chance of them even listening to you unless you are friends with the firmware engineers...
09-16-2016, 09:07 AM
Hello to all black screen watchers and monitor overclocker's,

i realy like to read here all this posts but as a no technician i understand below 20% Smile

So i'll try to ask a simple question:

I run a PC / Smart TV combo, with an Asus HD7850 and a TV from Samsung (FHD 40J6250 1920x1080 @60hz). As i was looking for a new "Gaming Monitor" i found a link to CRU and try my first tests. Installed AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher and CRU, i tested serveral setups and at least 1920x1080 @ 67Hz was the highest working value.

Is there a chance to get more Hz on this setup or i should be happy about the 10% boost and let it be?

The TV display is 100Hz native, HDMI port at video card is HDMI 2.0 , cable is HDMI 2.0 , TV Port HDMI 1.4 Sad .

For 67Hz i only changed the detailed resolution --> Fequency from 60hz to 67hz.

Have a nice day.

Beaverking
09-16-2016, 10:54 AM (Last edited: 09-16-2016, 10:54 AM by freegame)
I have a cheap Chinese external VGA screen with 1024X600 but the EDID reports it as 1366x768.

my nameless laptop running win7 with a GForce GT 650M. fixed, now running 1024x600 and looking fine. (fixed this long ago, and don't remember how)

Dell laptop running win 7 with a Quadro 2000M. used this tool, but nothing changes. I checked the EDID, it is updated and showing the new resolution, but it is not working.

any help?

Quote:Laptops with switchable graphics are not supported (resolutions are handled by Intel's graphics driver)

How can I check this?
09-16-2016, 04:55 PM
I overclocked my monitor to 80hz with CRU but when i alt + tab from games it takes a few seconds to reach the desktop. Anyone know why this is happening?
09-16-2016, 07:00 PM
(09-16-2016 04:55 PM)zT. Wrote:  I overclocked my monitor to 80hz with CRU but when i alt + tab from games it takes a few seconds to reach the desktop. Anyone know why this is happening?
That means the game is not running at the same resolution or refresh rate as the desktop, so the monitor has to switch.
09-16-2016, 07:14 PM
(09-16-2016 10:54 AM)freegame Wrote:  Dell laptop running win 7 with a Quadro 2000M. used this tool, but nothing changes. I checked the EDID, it is updated and showing the new resolution, but it is not working.

any help?

Quote:Laptops with switchable graphics are not supported (resolutions are handled by Intel's graphics driver)

How can I check this?
Did you remember to use a custom extension block? What laptop do you have? Laptops with NVIDIA GPUs that have switchable graphics (Optimus) have an option in the NVIDIA control panel to set the preferred graphics processor in the 3D settings. Some laptops have an option to disable Optimus in the BIOS.
09-16-2016, 07:29 PM
(09-16-2016 07:00 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-16-2016 04:55 PM)zT. Wrote:  I overclocked my monitor to 80hz with CRU but when i alt + tab from games it takes a few seconds to reach the desktop. Anyone know why this is happening?
That means the game is not running at the same resolution or refresh rate as the desktop, so the monitor has to switch.

But i deleted every entry on CRU except the one i'm using so i assume it's using the same refresh rate.

The black screen isn't that typical "flash" it just takes 2/3 seconds to show the in-game