AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
10-16-2013, 08:57 AM
RE: AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
(10-16-2013 06:15 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-16-2013 05:20 AM)Shogun Wrote:  Once there is a new AMD driver update, should i go back and down clock the refresh rate to 60 Hz and then use CRU to use it back to 120 Hz?
No, you don't need to do that. The unpatched driver will ignore 120 Hz and automatically choose another resolution, so keep 60 Hz available in CRU so the unpatched driver can use it. Otherwise, it will try to use a lower resolution that the QNIX can't handle.

Im sorry Toasty, I'm still bit confused about all this.

What do you mean with leaving the unpatched AMD driver at 60hz?

Once i selected the 120hz using the CRU on the QNIX monitor, should i leave a profile for 1440p on 60Hz? Is that what you mean?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Yes exactly Shogun. He said 'keep 60hz available in CRU.' This means, when you create a custom resolution (1440p at 120hz or whatever) do not delete the entry for 1440p at 60hz. That way, freshly installed (unpatched) drivers have a 60hz mode that can be used.
10-16-2013, 03:50 PM
CRU lets you define what resolutions are available. If you delete 60 Hz, it won't be available to use. The problem is if you upgrade the driver, the upgraded driver won't be patched, so it won't be able to use 120 Hz until you patch the new driver. If another resolution is not available, it will try to use a lower resolution that the QNIX can't handle, so keep 60 Hz available in CRU so the unpatched driver has something to use.
10-26-2013, 06:48 PM
(10-15-2013 08:23 AM)Black Octagon Wrote:  Hey Toasty, a report:

I recently updated from Catalyst 13.6 WHQL to 13.10 Beta. When I did this, I also re-downloaded both the patcher and CRU, as I understand at least one if not both of these has been updated since approx. December 2012 when I first overclocked my Tempest.

My issue is the following: although I can still OC to 120hz as before, and although this seems to run perfectly in games, when I watch Flash videos from within Windows (at 120hz) I get instant and massive screen corruption requiring me to push reset on the tower. As always, hardware acceleration is disabled in the Flash settings. The problem does not occur at 60Hz.

I'm unsure if this is due to the drivers, or to the potential fact that CRU or the patcher have changed in the last year.

The only potential hint I have is that, after resetting, my GPU clock speeds have returned to default in Overdrive, regardless of whether I had them set to high or low clocks.

Very happy to do some troubleshooting but thought I'd ask for your ideas first. Thanks a lot.

This seems to be fixed. I uninstalled Cat 13.10 Beta and installed the latest Cat 13.11 Beta6. Still using the most recent version of the patcher and of CRU.exe, and this time all is well. No crazy artifacts or screen corruption (so far) when I run Flash.

I'm gonna see if setting custom (low) clocks in Overdrive can reproduce my issue and will report back if the answer is affirmative.
10-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Nope, can't seem to reproduce the issue. Seems like it was either one of those freak occurrences or perhaps something specific to those 13.10 Beta drivers. Anyway, all is working as usual now.

On another note, is anyone buying a 290 or 290x? I am not, but I'm curious to know whether there is still the pixel click limit for Hawai.
10-28-2013, 08:04 AM
The link to the patcher seems to be down...
10-28-2013, 04:31 PM
It's working for me
10-29-2013, 02:20 AM
If you can post here, you should be able to download it. It's on the same server.
10-29-2013, 04:33 PM
(10-28-2013 08:04 AM)jacksontowne Wrote:  The link to the patcher seems to be down...

Same here.. all other links seem to be working though ;(
10-29-2013, 04:36 PM
I don't see how that's possible. What error are you getting?