AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
12-20-2012, 07:55 PM
RE: AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
I too am having BSOD's when I try to use the AMD software. I'm using the same setup as Black Octagon was using, should I roll back my drivers as well?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Re: AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
Well if you can check the dump file, yours might (unlike mine) have info linking the BSOD to the driver...in which case Toasty may be able to advise a remedy
12-21-2012, 10:20 PM
(12-20-2012 07:55 PM)fattymcfatfatfatty Wrote:  I too am having BSOD's when I try to use the AMD software. I'm using the same setup as Black Octagon was using, should I roll back my drivers as well?
Is the BSoD also happening for you during boot?

Use Blue Screen View to get the bug check string/code/parameters and the caused by driver/address information: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Are you using Windows 7?
What motherboard do you have?
What CPU? Is it overclocked?
What video card? Is it overclocked?
Are you using anything like DAEMON Tools or AnyDVD?

Upload the patched file as an attachment so I can make sure it's being patched properly: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
12-22-2012, 05:38 PM (Last edited: 12-22-2012, 05:43 PM by Black Octagon)
Hey, me again, one more thing.

All is running excellently, however I've just noticed that when my system is idle, my 7970 no longer downclocks like it used to. It used to downclock to about 300MHz on the core and 150 on the memory clock. Now it's at 500/1375 even when OverDrive is disabled. When OverDrive is enabled the memory clock 'idles' at whatever overclock I've set (in my case, the maximum of 1575MHz)

This appears to be keeping my GPU temps in the high 50s, which is not at all worrying, however I would like if possible to maintain the old 300/150 idle clocks I had before.

I don't suppose this could be related to the driver patch, and if so whether there's anything to be done about it?

Cheers

EDIT: Just realised that I can manually force 300/150 by leaving OverDrive enabled and setting it there. But would still welcome a fix so that I don't have to adjust the clocks each time I want to game
12-22-2012, 08:34 PM
That happens if you reduce the vertical total because there isn't enough time to change the memory clock without screen corruption. It will clock down properly if you use the "Best for LCD" timing, but your monitor can't seem to handle 120 Hz that way. You could add 100 Hz as a secondary detailed resolution and use that for desktop use.

That also happens if you're using multiple monitors. In that case, there's no workaround because the memory clock needs to change during the blanking period of both monitors to avoid screen corruption, but there's no way to guarantee both monitors will refresh at the same time.
12-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Re: AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
Thanks Toasty. Interesting, because this happens even when, after exiting a game, I switch back to 60Hz using Windows settings. Is this perhaps not the best way to change refresh rate? I always assumed that this way 'worked' because doing it removes coil whine in white screens...and yet even when switching to 60Hz this way, the memory clock status at max
12-22-2012, 11:49 PM
That should work if you're using a single monitor. The memory clock will not change if you're using multiple monitors.
12-23-2012, 05:07 AM
(09-07-2012 09:07 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Catalyst 11.9 through 12.11 Beta (64-bit only)

this means i am required to have 64bit OS to unlock drivers and OC right?
12-23-2012, 06:34 AM
(12-23-2012 05:07 AM)Lysis Wrote:  this means i am required to have 64bit OS to unlock drivers and OC right?
Yes. Do you need a 32-bit version? The 32-bit driver looks similar to the 64-bit driver. I might be able to make a 32-bit version by guessing, but I won't be able to test it.
12-27-2012, 11:44 AM
(12-19-2012 10:37 PM)Black Octagon Wrote:  I rolled back to 12.10 WHQL and it's now working fine (even with the CAP profiles on top)...To be honest, I would like to try with the 12.11 beta drivers again but at the moment I'm just glorifying in the fact that I'm finally experiencing 2560x1440@120Hz!

Just reporting back to say that I have tried Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11 again, and this time it DID work Smile

Now if I can only get Crossfire to function...sigh.

P.S., Anyone else having problems with Tapatalk? I can access and read Monitor Tests from Tapatalk, and can even log in, but whenever I try to post something it hangs on the "Receiving from server" and says says "Failed to connect to forum, please check with the forum administrator if this problem persists"