AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
07-05-2021, 08:26 PM (Last edited: 07-05-2021, 09:43 PM by Zachadoodle)
RE: AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
New user here. I'm having the same issues with my video card. The AMD software is not working but the Driver somehow incidently is downloaded. I tried to reflash the bios but I had a p/n error and I do not want to proceed unless I can properly figure out how the software works. Some advice to people here, keep your old driver installation just in case this happens and be sure to downgrade install if necessary. Before installing a new driver too, check if it is supported by atikmdagpatcher.exe first before upgrading. Another reminder is check if you can repair install before installing. I had to repair install for the 21.5.2 AMD driver. Those sketchy weirdos bitcoin mining really did screw us up and gave us a deal on Ebay, but I got what I paid for anyway. Next time I get a GPU I'm getting the GPU brand new instead of used. Still though thank goodness the bitcoin miner didn't give me a too screwed up version of the bios before giving it to me. I did have to increase the power limit on it though for the card to handle the overclock it was given. I am still trying to figure out the flashing, and it is very risky. Fortunately there are errors in the flashing software to prevent mishandling of bioses, because I was really worried had I installed the wrong bios. Again, do not get mining GPUs, because you have to go through a bunch of technical hoops to get it right. I was extremely fortunate that I didn't get a bios that caused errors. Fortunately I can still video edit with it and play high demanding games on it. I managed to get Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War running on it. People will feel weird if you carry a card like I have.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2021, 07:37 AM
is the app going to be updated? or support for polaris is over?
07-13-2021, 05:43 PM
(07-12-2021 07:37 AM)davidmza Wrote:  is the app going to be updated? or support for polaris is over?

Devs don't have any Polaris at hand for now but i think they will fix eventually...
07-14-2021, 02:04 PM
(07-12-2021 07:37 AM)davidmza Wrote:  is the app going to be updated? or support for polaris is over?
It will be a few weeks.
07-16-2021, 08:06 PM (Last edited: 07-16-2021, 11:25 PM by jorgeapp)
New user too and yeah... I basically discover here that my RX480 (Asus ROG STRIX RX 480 8GB GAMING) It was also modified through a custom bios or something because it never detect me the display driver and the amd software was unable to open so i use this tool every time i install an update and now i try it with the lastest 21.7.1 and having a kind of failed installation fk... I hope @ToastyX can fix the problem in the future thanks for share your work... If someone knows how to restore the original bios with an easy method or tool please share it i dont want do it my self or making a mistake flashing the gpu

[Image: cpXmCQcQ_t.png]
07-17-2021, 07:17 AM
Just remove C:\Program Files\AMD\WVR\OpenVR\bin\win64\driver_amdwvr.dll for temporary workaround.
Check path where you installed AMD Radeon Software.

P.S. This workaround breaks OpenVR.
07-17-2021, 07:57 AM
(07-17-2021 07:17 AM)ondemand Wrote:  Just remove C:\Program Files\AMD\WVR\OpenVR\bin\win64\driver_amdwvr.dll for temporary workaround.
Check path where you installed AMD Radeon Software.

P.S. This workaround breaks OpenVR.

you are a life saver, well done
i made this account just so i can thank you
07-17-2021, 02:27 PM (Last edited: 07-17-2021, 02:40 PM by myresolutionis)
I am running 6900XT and I downgraded drivers to 21.4.1. to get patch working, however CRU doesn't seem to work with it or rather patch seems not working. I am trying to create 3840x1700 at 120Hz (I am running 3840x2160 144Hz monitor), but whether I try manual, auto, cvt, gtf or try to add a resolution to an extension block (as I saw in the CRU topic) it is still highlighting values when I enter 120Hz resolution like it would do before applying a patch. It would invalid any refresh rate above 92Hz (actual pixel clock of 163.392kHz). I have rebooted my PC after applying a patch and ran after the patch again to see if it reports that values were patched (they were).

[Image: zf85KNh.png]

Just as aside, I am shocked AMD is incapable of fixing this in almost 10 years now, I have almost switched back to Nvidia after I found out I cannot do this absolutely basic thing (which NV has no problems with of course).
07-17-2021, 03:54 PM
(07-17-2021 02:27 PM)myresolutionis Wrote:  I am running 6900XT and I downgraded drivers to 21.4.1. to get patch working, however CRU doesn't seem to work with it or rather patch seems not working. I am trying to create 3840x1700 at 120Hz (I am running 3840x2160 144Hz monitor), but whether I try manual, auto, cvt, gtf or try to add a resolution to an extension block (as I saw in the CRU topic) it is still highlighting values when I enter 120Hz resolution like it would do before applying a patch. It would invalid any refresh rate above 92Hz (actual pixel clock of 163.392kHz). I have rebooted my PC after applying a patch and ran after the patch again to see if it reports that values were patched (they were).
You need to add the resolution in a DisplayID 1.3 extension block. The kHz is the horizontal scan rate, not pixel clock. If you're using HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort, you don't need the patcher.
07-17-2021, 04:01 PM (Last edited: 07-17-2021, 04:02 PM by myresolutionis)
I see, would you mind me asking then why the AMD driver and CRU doesn't accept that value when I can do the same thing with Nvidia (GTX 1080Ti) and it works just fine? I went even as far as trying identical settings

[Image: HJHtaQt.jpg]

and NV accepted them just fine. Does NV automatically use that same extension block as you use in CRU when one enters these high values? Apologies if this question doesn't make any sense, I don't have much insight in this.

Also, one more...are there any implications to adding a resolution to an extension block?