AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
04-04-2014, 11:53 PM
RE: AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
(04-02-2014 12:59 PM)#.kFk Wrote:  Screen 1 : 75Hz, LCD reduced, pixelclock under 165MHZ ==> Working
If 75 Hz works with those settings, then why are you trying to use other settings?

(04-02-2014 12:59 PM)#.kFk Wrote:  Screen 2 : 75Hz, LCD normal, pixelcklock above 165MHZ ==> not working ( can chosse the resolution in Windows, but Monitor says "frequency not supportet"
That means the monitor doesn't support 75 Hz with those settings.

(04-02-2014 12:59 PM)#.kFk Wrote:  With the NVIDIA i just added 1920x1080 @ 75Hz in the Nvidia Control Panel, i don´t used CRU or anything else. This worked fine.
You didn't mention what settings you used with NVIDIA. If the settings I gave you didn't work, then these are the only other settings it could be:

H: 1920 48 32 80 160 2080 +
V: 1080 3 5 23 31 1111 -

(04-02-2014 12:59 PM)#.kFk Wrote:  If the patch is disabled, the flash videos are working again. Disable the Hardware Accerlation doens´t work.
Are you sure they are Flash videos? HTML5 videos require installing codecs and disabling the Microsoft DTV-DVD decoders as described in the main post.

(04-02-2014 12:59 PM)#.kFk Wrote:  Using the HDMI.dat and disable the patch also doens´t work. Then i still can´t choose the refresh rates set in CRU in the advanced WIndows resolutions.
That trick doesn't always work. It might work with an HDMI cable.

(04-02-2014 12:59 PM)#.kFk Wrote:  I also tried your settings from the last post ... still the message "frequency not supportet" and this message appears every time i cross the "magic" 165MHZ pixelclock, no matter what settings.
If 165.00 MHz works but 165.01 MHz does not, then there might be another limit that the patch doesn't cover.

If 165.00 MHz doesn't work or if 165.01 MHz works, then it's not a pixel clock limit in the driver.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2014, 12:47 PM (Last edited: 04-14-2014, 12:58 PM by lawson67)
Hi ToastyX i have run 120hz 24/7 since buying my Qnix some time ago when i had my old Asus GTX660 cards in SLI install...since i have switched to 2x AMD R9 290 cards in crossfire!...However I have noticed something that i have never seen before!.. and that is when take my refresh rate down to 60hz the top GPU which my Duel DVI cable is linked into and feeds the monitor!...The Temps only on this card will drop by 10c...reading 40c at idle on the desktop!...

But then if i take the refresh rate up back up to 120hz the card idles again at around 50c!...BTW both cards are not overclocked but i do have ULPS disabled! so both cards are running even at idle!..Have you heard of this happening before?...10c on top of stock temps seems to be a massive increase!....its a shame that i never tested this when i had my 2x Asus GTX660 cards...however i have only come across this testing something else!

Anyhow Have your heard of this fairly high temp increase before by simply running a higher refresh rate?...Thanks in advance.
04-14-2014, 12:52 PM
(04-14-2014 12:47 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  Hi ToastyX i have run 120hz 24/7 since buying my Qnix some time ago when i have my old Asus GTX660 cards in SLI install...since i have switched to 2x AMD R9 290 cards in crossfire!...However I have noticed something that i have never seen before!.. and that is when take my refresh rate down to 60hz the top GPU which my Duel DVI cable is linked into and feeds the monitor!...The Temps only on this card will drop by 10c...reading 40c at idle on the desktop!...

But then if i take the refresh rate up back up to 120hz the card idles again at around 50c!...BTW both cards are not overclocked but i do have ULPS disabled! so both cards are running even at idle!..Have you heard of this happening before?...10c on top of stock temps seems to be a massive increase!....its a shame that i never tested when i had my my 2x Asus GTX660 cards...however i have only come across this testing something else!...

Anyhow Have your heard of this fairly high temp increase before by simply running a higher refresh rate?...Thanks in advance Toasty.
Yep, happens with me and others. No idea exactly why, but the TMDS transmitters are now working harder to deliver the bandwidth at a 450MHz pixel clock. Not sure what hardware is responsible for the added heat, though.

I run 60Hz on the desktop because of the overclocking side effects, but not idle temps as I fold 24/7 anyways. The top card should stay cooler @ 60Hz though, even at full load.
04-14-2014, 01:07 PM (Last edited: 04-14-2014, 01:08 PM by lawson67)
(04-14-2014 12:52 PM)yasamoka Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 12:47 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  Hi ToastyX i have run 120hz 24/7 since buying my Qnix some time ago when i have my old Asus GTX660 cards in SLI install...since i have switched to 2x AMD R9 290 cards in crossfire!...However I have noticed something that i have never seen before!.. and that is when take my refresh rate down to 60hz the top GPU which my Duel DVI cable is linked into and feeds the monitor!...The Temps only on this card will drop by 10c...reading 40c at idle on the desktop!...

But then if i take the refresh rate up back up to 120hz the card idles again at around 50c!...BTW both cards are not overclocked but i do have ULPS disabled! so both cards are running even at idle!..Have you heard of this happening before?...10c on top of stock temps seems to be a massive increase!....its a shame that i never tested when i had my my 2x Asus GTX660 cards...however i have only come across this testing something else!...

Anyhow Have your heard of this fairly high temp increase before by simply running a higher refresh rate?...Thanks in advance Toasty.
Yep, happens with me and others. No idea exactly why, but the TMDS transmitters are now working harder to deliver the bandwidth at a 450MHz pixel clock. Not sure what hardware is responsible for the added heat, though.

I run 60Hz on the desktop because of the overclocking side effects, but not idle temps as I fold 24/7 anyways. The top card should stay cooler @ 60Hz though, even at full load.

Hey hi yasamoka nice to see you over here :-)
Ah so i am not the only one then having this then which is nice to know!...Also what i have noticed though is that it seems to make no difference when Gaming /benchmarking!.."IE" max temp i hit on the top card is normally 82c after a few hours of Heaven Benchmark 4.0...this remains the same also weather i am running 60hz or 120hz!...is this the same with you also?
04-14-2014, 08:18 PM
(04-14-2014 12:47 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  But then if i take the refresh rate up back up to 120hz the card idles again at around 50c!...BTW both cards are not overclocked but i do have ULPS disabled! so both cards are running even at idle!..Have you heard of this happening before?...10c on top of stock temps seems to be a massive increase!....its a shame that i never tested this when i had my 2x Asus GTX660 cards...however i have only come across this testing something else!

Anyhow Have your heard of this fairly high temp increase before by simply running a higher refresh rate?...Thanks in advance.

(09-07-2012 09:07 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
  • AMD/ATI cards require the "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total to reduce the memory clock when idle. Horizontal values can still be reduced if necessary.

NVIDIA cards do the same thing if the vertical blanking/total is too low, but they can tolerate lower values.
04-15-2014, 05:34 PM (Last edited: 04-16-2014, 02:09 PM by lawson67)
(04-14-2014 08:18 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 12:47 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  But then if i take the refresh rate up back up to 120hz the card idles again at around 50c!...BTW both cards are not overclocked but i do have ULPS disabled! so both cards are running even at idle!..Have you heard of this happening before?...10c on top of stock temps seems to be a massive increase!....its a shame that i never tested this when i had my 2x Asus GTX660 cards...however i have only come across this testing something else!

(09-07-2012 09:07 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
  • AMD/ATI cards require the "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total to reduce the memory clock when idle. Horizontal values can still be reduced if necessary.

NVIDIA cards do the same thing if the vertical blanking/total is too low, but they can tolerate lower values.

Thanks for the heads up Toasty!

Edit: According to HWiNFO the memory does indeed down clock at idle without the need for setting "LCD Standard"!...I am using my optimized timings right now it is only ticking over at 300mhz if i run a benchmark it shoots up to 1350mhz and once back on the desktop drops back down to around 300mhz again so i am guessing its what yasamoka says maybe the TMDS transmitters are now working harder to deliver the bandwidth at a 450MHz pixel clock?...But one thing is for sure the memory does down clock without the need to use "LCD Standard"
04-16-2014, 08:09 PM
(04-15-2014 05:34 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  Edit: According to HWiNFO the memory does indeed down clock at idle without the need for setting "LCD Standard"!...I am using my optimized timings right now it is only ticking over at 300mhz if i run a benchmark it shoots up to 1350mhz and once back on the desktop drops back down to around 300mhz again so i am guessing its what yasamoka says maybe the TMDS transmitters are now working harder to deliver the bandwidth at a 450MHz pixel clock?...But one thing is for sure the memory does down clock without the need to use "LCD Standard"
Unless something changed with the R9 290 cards, I don't know how that's possible. 5 lines of vertical blanking (1445 total) doesn't give enough time to change the memory clock without corrupting the screen. Even NVIDIA cards won't clock down if the vertical blanking/total is that low.

2560x1440 @ 120 Hz with "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total requires a higher pixel clock that might not work with your monitor. Try 110 Hz with "LCD standard" to see if that affects the temperature.
04-19-2014, 01:40 PM (Last edited: 04-19-2014, 01:42 PM by lawson67)
(04-16-2014 08:09 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-15-2014 05:34 PM)lawson67 Wrote:  Edit: According to HWiNFO the memory does indeed down clock at idle without the need for setting "LCD Standard"!...I am using my optimized timings right now it is only ticking over at 300mhz if i run a benchmark it shoots up to 1350mhz and once back on the desktop drops back down to around 300mhz again so i am guessing its what yasamoka says maybe the TMDS transmitters are now working harder to deliver the bandwidth at a 450MHz pixel clock?...But one thing is for sure the memory does down clock without the need to use "LCD Standard"
Unless something changed with the R9 290 cards, I don't know how that's possible. 5 lines of vertical blanking (1445 total) doesn't give enough time to change the memory clock without corrupting the screen. Even NVIDIA cards won't clock down if the vertical blanking/total is that low.

2560x1440 @ 120 Hz with "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total requires a higher pixel clock that might not work with your monitor. Try 110 Hz with "LCD standard" to see if that affects the temperature.

Yes you are quite correct toasty i was looking at HWiFO while in 60hz mode and not in 120hz mode and thought that the memory clock had ramped down at 120hz...I was wrong and apologize!...the memory clock does indeed stay ramped up even on the desktop at 120hz!...Infact my R9 290 draws an extra 60 watts of power to push up the pixel clock to 459mhz and to feed 4gb of DDR 5 ram running at 1350mhz just sat on the desktop doing nothing!...Also i can not run 120hz using LCD Standard timings so i have set up presets in CCC using hot keys to flick from one refresh rate to another!...So i will always flick over to 60hz on the desktop and over to 120hz while gaming!...Thanks again ToastyX for your great patches and CRU and for supporting this community!
04-20-2014, 02:24 AM (Last edited: 04-20-2014, 02:24 AM by Reddawne)
Hi ToastyX Smile

I will be purchasing a Radeon 295x2 on Monday's release. I've read the AMD Patcher does not work with dual AMD GPUs. Is this true? Is there another way around this? I have a Qnix QX2710 and I can currently overclock to 110hz on my Nvidia gpu.
04-20-2014, 07:40 AM
(04-20-2014 02:24 AM)Reddawne Wrote:  I will be purchasing a Radeon 295x2 on Monday's release. I've read the AMD Patcher does not work with dual AMD GPUs. Is this true?
That doesn't apply to R9 290 cards, so the 295X2 should work. Older cards have issues with CrossFire at higher pixel clocks unless two bridges are used, which isn't possible with dual-GPU cards. That's an issue unrelated to the patch.