AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
06-12-2014, 12:29 AM
RE: AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
(06-09-2014 02:02 PM)the9quad Wrote:  Thanks for the patch toastyx. I did notice, that any time I use anything that encodes video using AMD app, it will crash the program. Not that I care, but it is definitely something with the new cats, and the patcher. Totally not a big deal as I just encode with something else, or go use the patcher restore when I encode.
AMD APP encoding seems to need the DLLs from 14.3 instead of 13.12. Try this: https://www.monitortests.com/atikmdag-patcher-1.2.6.zip

I don't know how long that workaround will work because eventually the older DLLs won't work with newer drivers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2014, 03:11 AM (Last edited: 06-12-2014, 03:22 AM by the9quad)
(06-12-2014 12:29 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 02:02 PM)the9quad Wrote:  Thanks for the patch toastyx. I did notice, that any time I use anything that encodes video using AMD app, it will crash the program. Not that I care, but it is definitely something with the new cats, and the patcher. Totally not a big deal as I just encode with something else, or go use the patcher restore when I encode.
AMD APP encoding seems to need the DLLs from 14.3 instead of 13.12. Try this: https://www.monitortests.com/atikmdag-patcher-1.2.6.zip

I don't know how long that workaround will work because eventually the older DLLs won't work with newer drivers.
That did the trick, thanks.

Also after explaining the issues the driver introduced to a AMD rep (and pointing them here to your work and your explanation of what the 14.6 broke) here is the response I received:

"I forwarded your PM on June 2 to the Driver Team and I can assure you they are currently looking into it. I'm hoping to have a response for you soon."

That sounds encouraging!
06-13-2014, 09:15 AM (Last edited: 06-13-2014, 10:51 AM by ToTheSun)
Hey, guys! Newly registered member here. It saddens me that i had to seek this kind of help after 2 years of an issue-free AMD experience.

I use a CRT monitor. Max resolution is 2048x1536 at 85 Hz. I use it with 1600x1200 at 100 Hz. I've been doing so for 2 years. I've owned my 7970 for the same amount of time, as well.

I had the 14.1 drivers a week ago. Everything was fine. I decided to update them to reap some performance benefits. Initially, i cleaned and installed the 14.6 beta drivers, but i couldn't set up my monitor's frequency to anything higher than 85 Hz, even at stupidly low resolutions. I figured "betas will be betas", so i cleaned and installed the 14.4 version. It suffers from the same problem.

I applied the patch and used CRU to set up my usual resolution. It works fine, but i have to manually change it everytime i start up Windows (7, 64 bit). If i start it up without doing anything, i get really weird and huge 2D rendering artifacts. To stop this occurrence, i have to either launch a 3D application (even then, it doesn't always work) or change my resolution and frequency to something else and change back to 1600x1200 at 100 Hz.

Obviously, this is something with which one can live, but it gets a bit old. I'm just wondering if i can fix it.

Thank you!
06-20-2014, 05:37 AM
(06-13-2014 09:15 AM)ToTheSun Wrote:  I use a CRT monitor. Max resolution is 2048x1536 at 85 Hz. I use it with 1600x1200 at 100 Hz. I've been doing so for 2 years. I've owned my 7970 for the same amount of time, as well.

I had the 14.1 drivers a week ago. Everything was fine. I decided to update them to reap some performance benefits. Initially, i cleaned and installed the 14.6 beta drivers, but i couldn't set up my monitor's frequency to anything higher than 85 Hz, even at stupidly low resolutions. I figured "betas will be betas", so i cleaned and installed the 14.4 version. It suffers from the same problem.

I applied the patch and used CRU to set up my usual resolution. It works fine, but i have to manually change it everytime i start up Windows (7, 64 bit). If i start it up without doing anything, i get really weird and huge 2D rendering artifacts. To stop this occurrence, i have to either launch a 3D application (even then, it doesn't always work) or change my resolution and frequency to something else and change back to 1600x1200 at 100 Hz.
You shouldn't need the patch with a CRT unless the pixel clock is greater than 400 MHz.

I can't help with driver issues. That's something you should report to AMD.
06-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Just registered to post this here. I just patched my PC with 14.4 to try it out with HA and I must say it doesn't work. Sure the flash player shows its enabled but I tried the same for MPC-HC, it doesnt work there. I think its a somewhat bug and the correct DLLs/settings is not used even showing it should.
06-29-2014, 02:09 AM
Hardware acceleration has never worked with the patch, but I haven't had problems playing anything that doesn't require HDCP.
07-02-2014, 06:45 PM (Last edited: 07-03-2014, 11:51 AM by CheddarCheese)
Hey ToastyX, thank you very much for all your work on this.
I've tried downloading 1.2.6 multiple times now, from 3 different machines on 2 different connections, but everytime I try to open the .zip-file, it appears to be corrupt.
Could you look into what's causing this?

EDIT: Okay, now I know why. avast! is blocking the file, both in the zip and the standalone exe, detecting it as Win32:Malware-gen. There are several other virus scanners that also detect it as a harmful program, see https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/de75e...404388070/ . While I of course believe that this is not true, you might want to look into that, as both avast! and AntiVir are commonly used antivirus progams.
07-05-2014, 05:08 AM
(07-02-2014 06:45 PM)CheddarCheese Wrote:  EDIT: Okay, now I know why. avast! is blocking the file, both in the zip and the standalone exe, detecting it as Win32:Malware-gen. There are several other virus scanners that also detect it as a harmful program, see https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/de75e...404388070/ . While I of course believe that this is not true, you might want to look into that, as both avast! and AntiVir are commonly used antivirus progams.
The problem is those are generic detection algorithms and not actual signatures, so I don't know what I can do about that. The latest patcher needs to replace a couple of driver DLLs to work around the BSoD problem with 14.6, so that might be triggering the false positives.
07-12-2014, 01:07 PM (Last edited: 07-12-2014, 01:13 PM by aias)
hello,

patcher 1.2.6 work with catalyst 14.7 beta ?

thx
07-13-2014, 07:32 AM
IT worked for me when i tried 14.7