AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
09-08-2016, 12:21 PM (Last edited: 09-08-2016, 03:30 PM by Garwinski)
RE: AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
I use this tool all the time after I installed a new driver to get 2560x1080 on my ultrawide LG29UM57-P connected with a HDMI and it always worked, but after driver 16.9.1, I get the message:

"Failed to locate driver file."

Reinstall of the drivers did not help (of course cleaned first with DDU). Anyone has any experience with this? Does the tool need to be updated?

EDIT: Someone else reports the same problem as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/51...e_in_1691/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2016, 04:35 AM
The driver location issue looks like the same issue that affected the NVIDIA patcher. I was already working on making the same change with the AMD patcher, so this would have been a quick fix.

It's a good thing I didn't release it yet because I'm running into a different issue where making ANY change to the 16.9.1 driver file results in a black screen. I don't know if this is some sort of code protection or if something else needs to be done when moving the driver file. I'll look into it some more this weekend, but I'm not sure if I'll find a way around this.
09-09-2016, 07:32 AM (Last edited: 09-09-2016, 08:08 AM by Garwinski)
(09-09-2016 04:35 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  The driver location issue looks like the same issue that affected the NVIDIA patcher. I was already working on making the same change with the AMD patcher, so this would have been a quick fix.

It's a good thing I didn't release it yet because I'm running into a different issue where making ANY change to the 16.9.1 driver file results in a black screen. I don't know if this is some sort of code protection or if something else needs to be done when moving the driver file. I'll look into it some more this weekend, but I'm not sure if I'll find a way around this.

Thanks for your time and effort. We will have to wait and see what comes out of this.

PS (Does this have anything to do with the new driver model WDDM 2.1?)
09-09-2016, 12:22 PM
I found the problem. The user-mode driver needs a certain .dll file to be in the same directory as the kernel-mode .sys file. This complicates things a bit because older drivers already have it in the right place while the new driver doesn't, so I need to make sure it doesn't use an old .dll file. I will come up with a solution over the weekend. At least it's not a code protection issue.
09-09-2016, 12:56 PM
(09-09-2016 12:22 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I found the problem. The user-mode driver needs a certain .dll file to be in the same directory as the kernel-mode .sys file. This complicates things a bit because older drivers already have it in the right place while the new driver doesn't, so I need to make sure it doesn't use an old .dll file. I will come up with a solution over the weekend. At least it's not a code protection issue.

Great to hear that at least the problem is identified! Good luck with finding a solution, and thanks for putting your free time into this.
09-11-2016, 03:05 AM
I'm running into another issue where DirectX/OpenGL won't work, and I'm not sure why. I only have it working on the desktop at the moment. This is getting to be a pain.
09-11-2016, 10:05 PM
(09-11-2016 03:05 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  I'm running into another issue where DirectX/OpenGL won't work, and I'm not sure why. I only have it working on the desktop at the moment. This is getting to be a pain.

That sucks :/ hang in there man, we all really appreciate your hardwork on this.
09-11-2016, 11:47 PM
I figured it out. The user-mode driver couldn't load the 32-bit .dll files because of System32/SysWOW64 redirection. I also found it needs more .dll files for OpenGL and Mantle to work, so I'll just have the patcher create links to all the .dll files in a separate directory along with the patched .sys file, and then add a link in SysWOW64 to the directory in System32. That should take care of it all. I'll try to have the new version out by tomorrow.
09-12-2016, 01:16 AM
(09-11-2016 11:47 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I figured it out. The user-mode driver couldn't load the 32-bit .dll files because of System32/SysWOW64 redirection. I also found it needs more .dll files for OpenGL and Mantle to work, so I'll just have the patcher create links to all the .dll files in a separate directory along with the patched .sys file, and then add a link in SysWOW64 to the directory in System32. That should take care of it all. I'll try to have the new version out by tomorrow.

Great news! Thanks ToastyX
09-12-2016, 07:10 AM (Last edited: 09-12-2016, 07:10 AM by Garwinski)
(09-11-2016 11:47 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I figured it out. The user-mode driver couldn't load the 32-bit .dll files because of System32/SysWOW64 redirection. I also found it needs more .dll files for OpenGL and Mantle to work, so I'll just have the patcher create links to all the .dll files in a separate directory along with the patched .sys file, and then add a link in SysWOW64 to the directory in System32. That should take care of it all. I'll try to have the new version out by tomorrow.

Damn, great job! I am looking forward to the release. Thanks for your effort!