Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-09-2019, 10:07 PM (Last edited: 05-09-2019, 10:09 PM by SirHawk)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hey, I've got an issue with my newest RX580 Nitro+, I previously had 290X and GTX660, after using drivers patching and CRU I was easily able to overclock it to 80Hz from 60Hz, now I can't at all on 19.1.1, 19.4.1 and 19.4.3 driver versions. When I started testing out monitor overclocking I tried DVI-D Dual Link -> DVI-D Dual Link, HDMI -> DVI-D Single Link and DisplayPort -> DVI-D, on DP and HDMI it's easily doable, on dual DVI-D after exceeding 63Hz screen is completely blurred and above 65Hz did not work at all. I'm using HDMI -> DVI-D Single Link currently (the same as I've always had) but I can't get any Hz more at all, both from using CRU and Radeon Settings. Monitor has DVI-D and D-Sub only (BenQ GL2250) but given it worked previously it must be something related to AMD drivers I think or on GPU side. Changed max pixel clock to 600MHz, V rate to 90 in monitor editor tab, added extension block with a data block including override maximum TMDS clock to 600MHz as well, but to no avail.

Any help? I'd seriously rather not going permanently back to 60Hz.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2019, 11:34 PM
(05-09-2019 10:07 PM)SirHawk Wrote:  Hey, I've got an issue with my newest RX580 Nitro+, I previously had 290X and GTX660, after using drivers patching and CRU I was easily able to overclock it to 80Hz from 60Hz, now I can't at all on 19.1.1, 19.4.1 and 19.4.3 driver versions. When I started testing out monitor overclocking I tried DVI-D Dual Link -> DVI-D Dual Link, HDMI -> DVI-D Single Link and DisplayPort -> DVI-D, on DP and HDMI it's easily doable, on dual DVI-D after exceeding 63Hz screen is completely blurred and above 65Hz did not work at all. I'm using HDMI -> DVI-D Single Link currently (the same as I've always had) but I can't get any Hz more at all, both from using CRU and Radeon Settings. Monitor has DVI-D and D-Sub only (BenQ GL2250) but given it worked previously it must be something related to AMD drivers I think or on GPU side. Changed max pixel clock to 600MHz, V rate to 90 in monitor editor tab, added extension block with a data block including override maximum TMDS clock to 600MHz as well, but to no avail.

Any help? I'd seriously rather not going permanently back to 60Hz.
The procedure should be the same on all three cards. Did you patch the driver? Don't add an HDMI data block. DVI monitors usually can't handle HDMI signals. The only way to exceed 165 MHz pixel clock with single-link DVI is to patch the driver.
05-10-2019, 12:02 AM
That's the problem as I wrote, I did that and after reopening the patcher it shows everything got already patched.
05-10-2019, 12:37 AM
(05-10-2019 12:02 AM)SirHawk Wrote:  That's the problem as I wrote, I did that and after reopening the patcher it shows everything got already patched.
I'm trying to figure out what you did before vs. what you're doing now. You said before HDMI-DVI and DisplayPort-DVI worked but not plain DVI, which doesn't make sense to me because they should all work the same with the patch up to 230 MHz. The 63 Hz limit doesn't make sense to me either because people usually don't see a problem until 67 Hz without the patch because of the 165 MHz pixel clock limit. What's the current limit you're seeing with HDMI-DVI? Export a file showing what you tried. Does your RX580 have a DVI port? If so, try plain DVI with the patch.
05-10-2019, 01:05 AM
Currently I can do completely messed up 64Hz, over 65Hz is not even listed. My 290X and GTX 660 (the latter I got rid of this monday) were able to push up to 83Hz on the very same monitor, only after exceeding 80Hz it started to get blurry, it got stronger with higher refresh rate. On DVI-DVI cable on 290X it was just plain checkerboard of noise after going above 63Hz.

Steps taken, written in an online notepad: https://shrib.com/#v18Yj1UMzOoEibjkfnpn

The RX580 does have a DVI port, I'd need to get a DVI-DVI cable first though and sadly - there's none in PC shops in my city at the moment :v.
05-10-2019, 01:57 AM
(05-10-2019 01:05 AM)SirHawk Wrote:  Currently I can do completely messed up 64Hz, over 65Hz is not even listed. My 290X and GTX 660 (the latter I got rid of this monday) were able to push up to 83Hz on the very same monitor, only after exceeding 80Hz it started to get blurry, it got stronger with higher refresh rate. On DVI-DVI cable on 290X it was just plain checkerboard of noise after going above 63Hz.
Well something strange is going on because anything up to 165 MHz pixel clock should be listed even without the patch. Run reset-all.exe and reboot, then export a file from CRU and post it here.
05-10-2019, 09:25 PM
There you go.

Attached File(s)
.bin  resetted.bin (Size: 128 bytes / Downloads: 417)
05-12-2019, 12:04 AM
(05-10-2019 09:25 PM)SirHawk Wrote:  There you go.
I don't see anything strange about the EDID. It's a simple basic EDID. I don't see any reason why anything over 65 Hz wouldn't be listed. It's possible the patch isn't having an effect with HDMI-DVI, which is why I asked you to try plain DVI, but even without the patch, "LCD native" should let you go up to 66 Hz, "LCD standard" should let you go up to 71 Hz, and "LCD reduced" should let you go up to 77 Hz. I have not seen any issues with AMD's driver that would prevent those resolutions from working.

In the display properties ("Edit..." button at the top), what is the default maximum pixel clock? CRU doesn't include the range limits by default so it shouldn't even matter, but if you change it, make sure to check "Include if slot available" and make sure it's showing in the detailed resolution list.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe you were using different timing parameters before. Some monitors have gaps in the refresh rates that they will display, but the driver should still list them. 83 Hz reminds me of the NEC EA231WMi, which only worked at 83 Hz with these specific timing parameters:

[Image: detailed.png]
05-12-2019, 01:09 PM (Last edited: 05-12-2019, 08:46 PM by SirHawk)
By default it's 210MHz and as I previously said, everything worked perfectly on my two previous cards. I've also tried again increasing the frequency, this time by trying step by step with each preconfigured timing. Apparently, I can do 70Hz fine on reduced blinking timings, 71Hz gives random white noise on the screen, 72Hz does not apply at all. Curiously, 70Hz reduced is 164.96MHz of pixel clock so it'd seem the 165MHz pixel clock limit on DVI SL (as a reminder, it's HDMI-DVI-D Single Link cable) is currently not taken off. Which used to be taken care off properly previously.

Also, none other timing allows to give any overclock at all, not even default frequency. And as an extra: on 290X the white noise existed on 80Hz too, but after reverting to a 60Hz then going back to 80Hz the noise and all other artifacts were gone. This did not happen with GTX660, just selected 80Hz and forever forgot about frequency choosing window.

EDIT: Yup, I'm right. I just added 80Hz resolution on CVT reduced timings and pixel clock manually reduced to 164MHz. Anything works as long as it's below 165MHz pixel clock.
05-12-2019, 09:16 PM
(05-12-2019 01:09 PM)SirHawk Wrote:  EDIT: Yup, I'm right. I just added 80Hz resolution on CVT reduced timings and pixel clock manually reduced to 164MHz. Anything works as long as it's below 165MHz pixel clock.
I recommend getting a DVI cable then. There's probably some new limit that affects HDMI-DVI that I will have to look into, but plain DVI should be fine with the patch.

The white noise is an HDCP issue with AMD's drivers, but that should only happen if the horizontal blanking is too low.

The checkerboard noise on the 290X with DVI sounds like the video acceleration memory clock issue. That shouldn't happen with the RX 580.