Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-12-2019, 09:19 PM (Last edited: 05-13-2019, 09:54 AM by SirHawk)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
But it does happen. I'll order a new DVI-DVI Dual Link cable but given my experience with one on 290X (couldn't go higher than 64Hz) I don't expect miracles.

EDIT: As expected, DVI-D DL -> DVI-D DL did not improve things, it still won't go beyond 165MHz. But it does work correctly, in contrast to how it behaved on 290X.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2019, 06:10 PM
(05-12-2019 09:19 PM)SirHawk Wrote:  But it does happen. I'll order a new DVI-DVI Dual Link cable but given my experience with one on 290X (couldn't go higher than 64Hz) I don't expect miracles.

EDIT: As expected, DVI-D DL -> DVI-D DL did not improve things, it still won't go beyond 165MHz. But it does work correctly, in contrast to how it behaved on 290X.
I'm getting less clear about what's happening. What do you mean when you say it won't go beyond 165 MHz? Is the refresh rate not listed? Is it listed but the monitor won't display it correctly? You need to be clear about this because those are two different problems. If it's not displayed correctly, is it blurry or are you seeing random noise? Those are also two different problems. You've mentioned all of those happening at different points, so I'm not sure what's happening when.

When you said 72 Hz does not apply at all, what exactly did you mean? Is it not listed? Does the monitor not display it correctly? "LCD reduced" at 70 Hz is 162.49 MHz (not 164.96 MHz), and "LCD reduced" at 72 Hz is still under 165 MHz, so that doesn't explain anything.

What does the random noise look like? At first, I thought you were talking about this: https://imgur.com/a/njclU, which is an HDCP issue with AMD's driver when the horizontal blanking is too low, but now I realize you might be talking about something else. Does the noise completely obscure the screen like that, or are you still able to see the screen but with some noise?

When you said no other timing overclocks at all, what exactly did you mean? Did you mean the maximum pixel clock in the range limits? I only mentioned that because AMD's driver might block higher refresh rates from being listed if it's listening to that, but the default 210 MHz is sufficient, so don't worry about that.

When you said over 65 Hz is not even listed, what timing parameters were you talking about? As I said, even without the patch, "LCD native" should allow up to 66 Hz, "LCD standard" should allow up to 71 Hz, and "LCD reduced" should allow up to 76 Hz (I said 77 Hz originally but I forgot about the 56 horizontal blanking limit without the patch). By the way, I'm assuming 1920x1080 since that's the native resolution of the monitor.

Just to be clear, with the driver patched:

LCD standard: Does 71 Hz get listed? Does 72 Hz get listed? Does 80 Hz get listed? What does the monitor show at those refresh rates?

LCD native: Does 66 Hz get listed? Does 67 Hz get listed? Does 80 Hz get listed? What does the monitor show at those refresh rates?

LCD reduced: Everything up to 71 Hz should be the same as LCD standard. Does 72 Hz get listed? Does 80 Hz get listed? What does the monitor show at these refresh rates?

Manual: Did you try the 83 Hz timing parameters I posted? It's basically "LCD native" but with the vertical back porch set to 11. Try that at 80 Hz. Does it get listed? What does the monitor show?

Try that for both HDMI-DVI and plain DVI.
05-13-2019, 08:28 PM (Last edited: 05-13-2019, 08:52 PM by SirHawk)
Don't mind anything written before the edit from Post #4102, those were mostly lucky shots on trials and errors. And sorry or being unspecific.

Everything is listed as long as the calculated Pixel Clock (or manually set) equals or is below 165MHz and works after selecting no matter what timings are set, they can be literally random. Screen then is either perfectly clear (if proper timings are set, like the timings from the screenshot you've given previously) or with noises. In example, I currently run 70Hz with timings set as in the screenshot from post #4011 but I had to lower pixel clock to 165MHz to actually be listed (and working without any random noise). If I am to exceed this 165MHz, the custom resolution is not listed at all. I put the setting I used on previous cards vs what I use now as well as an image from the nosies I mentioned.

Concerning the noise - it's just some pixels going white and blinking, as in the screenshot shows. Depending on how wrong timings are, they appear in different quantity on whole screen or contrasting edges. They're like a badly tuned TV.

Cable does not matter right now, it's the same issue on both DVI-D DL and HDMI-DVI-D. I'm not sure if I can explain that properly, but I will try:

- On 290X with dual DVI-D Dual Link cable exceeding 66Hz refresh rate resulted in screen being torn, red, green and blue pixels were visible all over the screen, you could see pieces of the image that should be displayed distorted as well. It was also a bit zoomed in.

- On both GTX660 and 290X using a HDMI/DisplayPort->DVI-D Single Link cable I could list every custom resolution that was below 88Hz with unmodified LCD Native timings. But after exceeding 80Hz the image became more and more blurry, trying to select 85Hz resulted in "Out of range" monit on the monitor.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-13-2019, 09:18 PM
(05-13-2019 08:28 PM)SirHawk Wrote:  In example, I currently run 70Hz with timings set as in the screenshot from post #4011 but I had to lower pixel clock to 165MHz to be listed (and working without any random noise).
Those timing parameters at 165 MHz would be 68 Hz, not 70 Hz.

(05-13-2019 08:28 PM)SirHawk Wrote:  If I am to exceed this 165MHz, the custom resolution is not even listed at all.
Is this with HDMI-DVI or plain DVI? With HDMI-DVI, that would mean the patch is not working. With plain DVI, that should not happen because the driver should list anything up to 330 MHz even without the patch. The only difference is without the patch, anything beyond 165 MHz will send a dual-link signal, while with the patch, anything up to 230 MHz will send a single-link signal.

(05-13-2019 08:28 PM)SirHawk Wrote:  Concerning the noise - it's just some pixels going white and blinking, as in the screenshot shows. Depending on how wrong timings are, they appear in different quantity on whole screen or contrasting edges. They're like a badly tuned TV.
That would mean the monitor can't handle the timing parameters, but I've never seen that vary between different video cards, so I'm not sure what's going on.

(05-13-2019 08:28 PM)SirHawk Wrote:  - On 290X with dual DVI-D Dual Link cable exceeding 66Hz refresh rate resulted in screen being torn, red, green and blue pixels were visible all over the screen, you could see pieces of the image that should be displayed distorted as well. It was also a bit zoomed in.
That would make sense with the "LCD native" timing parameters if the driver wasn't patched because it would send a dual-link signal, while the monitor expects a single-link signal. That should not happen if the driver is patched. HDMI/DisplayPort-DVI would not have this issue since it's always single-link.
05-13-2019, 09:38 PM (Last edited: 05-13-2019, 09:47 PM by SirHawk)
Yes, those timings with such pixel clock would be 68Hz but I can make 71Hz too on horrid timings resulting in terrible all-screen noise while staying below 165MHz. As I said, it's the same story on both cables. I'm using the very same HDMI-DVI cable I've used on GTX660 and 290X on which I could do full 80Hz with just driver patching and setting a detailed resolution of 80Hz on Native LCD timings. As also previously mentioned, setting an 80Hz resolution on 290X did produce the noise but after switching to 60Hz and back to 80Hz all noise was gone. Had to do that everytime I booted my PC.

Each and every action I took was with drivers patched, currently patching makes no difference, at least not for HDMI-DVI cable. Didn't try not patching with DVI yet.
05-13-2019, 10:27 PM
(05-13-2019 09:38 PM)SirHawk Wrote:  As I said, it's the same story on both cables.
So nothing beyond 165 MHz pixel clock is listed even with plain DVI? That isn't right and should not be happening. HDMI-DVI is a separate issue that I will look into.
05-13-2019, 10:41 PM (Last edited: 05-14-2019, 09:59 AM by SirHawk)
After patching, that is correct for both cables, nothing beyond 165MHz is listed. I'll try tomorrow if non-patched drivers allow me to do overclock with plain DVI cable. Giving some further insight on specs: my current GPU is Sapphire RX 580 8GB Nitro+ and monitor is BenQ GL2250, if any of these help.

EDIT: after unpatching the drivers I can list 80Hz on plain DVI cable but it's distorted and blurry. Very similar to what was going on with 290X and this again happen on any refresh rate, when 165MHz is exceeded Big Grin
05-14-2019, 02:00 AM
(05-13-2019 10:41 PM)SirHawk Wrote:  After patching, that is correct for both cables, nothing beyond 165MHz is listed. I'll try tomorrow if non-patched drivers allow me to do overclock with plain DVI cable. Giving some further insight on specs: my current GPU is Sapphire RX 580 8GB Nitro+ and monitor is BenQ GL2250, if any of these help.
I'm looking into it right now with an RX 480 and I can confirm there's a new limit that affects HDMI-DVI, but it was added in 19.4.1, so I don't know why 19.1.1 didn't work for you. I also don't see why it's affecting DVI for you because I'm not seeing that. Maybe it's applying the same limit in your case.

Try this: https://www.monitortests.com/atikmdag-patcher-1.4.7.zip
05-14-2019, 10:01 AM (Last edited: 05-14-2019, 10:06 AM by SirHawk)
(05-14-2019 02:00 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-13-2019 10:41 PM)SirHawk Wrote:  After patching, that is correct for both cables, nothing beyond 165MHz is listed. I'll try tomorrow if non-patched drivers allow me to do overclock with plain DVI cable. Giving some further insight on specs: my current GPU is Sapphire RX 580 8GB Nitro+ and monitor is BenQ GL2250, if any of these help.
I'm looking into it right now with an RX 480 and I can confirm there's a new limit that affects HDMI-DVI, but it was added in 19.4.1, so I don't know why 19.1.1 didn't work for you. I also don't see why it's affecting DVI for you because I'm not seeing that. Maybe it's applying the same limit in your case.

Try this: https://www.monitortests.com/atikmdag-patcher-1.4.7.zip

Glorious, 80Hz on native is listed and working properly on HDMI-DVI (cuz plain DVI brings only issues :v)! Thanks!
05-14-2019, 03:06 PM
Hello,

I have a Dell 7250 laptop and the max resolution is 1366 x 768 so would it possible to raise it to 1920 x 1080?

Thanks