Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-31-2020, 08:13 PM (Last edited: 10-31-2020, 08:15 PM by botounacruzeta)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Quote:What happens if you click the "Edit..." button at the top and enable "Include if slot available" under "Range limits"?

Steps I did:

-Ran reset-all.exe;
-Rebooted PC;
-Disabled driver signature enforcement in Windows before it restarts;
-Opened MonInfo, and created inf file;
-Installed inf file (right click -> Install. Windows asked if I really wanted to install the unsigned driver, I answered "Yes", and then got "Operation Completed Succesfully" after that);
-Restarted GPU;
-Imported the CRU-exported settings using CRU;
-In CRU, enabled "Include if slot available" under "Range limits";
-restarted GPU;

NVCPL stopped working after doing this.

I did some other testing (restarted GPU 116 times already), and NVCPL worked after doing above steps, but only after enabling both "Include if slot available" under "Range limits" and under "Serial number";

If only "Serial number" is enabled, NVCPL doesn't work.

I could also open NVCPL after doing these simple steps:

-run reset-all.exe;
-restart GPU;
-In CRU, enable both "Include if slot available" options under "Range limits" and under "Serial number";
-import the CRU-exported settings (default ones) using CRU;
-restart GPU;

However, when trying to do my final goal (delete a detailed resolution from CEA-861 extension block without blocking NVCPL), there's no way NVCPL will open after this.
I tried the steps above that worked with CRU-exported (default) settings, replacing the inf file with the one that I exported after deleting the resolution, but there's no combination I did that enabled NVCPL to actually open.

I also tried that option "Import Complete EDID" (that ALSO worked alone for CRU-Exported default settings), but for the CRU-Exported "Edited" settings, no way. NVCPL doesn't open.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2020, 08:57 PM
(10-31-2020 08:13 PM)botounacruzeta Wrote:  However, when trying to do my final goal (delete a detailed resolution from CEA-861 extension block without blocking NVCPL), there's no way NVCPL will open after this.
I tried the steps above that worked with CRU-exported (default) settings, replacing the inf file with the one that I exported after deleting the resolution, but there's no combination I did that enabled NVCPL to actually open.

I also tried that option "Import Complete EDID" (that ALSO worked alone for CRU-Exported default settings), but for the CRU-Exported "Edited" settings, no way. NVCPL doesn't open.
Don't import anything. Just run reset-all.exe and restart. Then enable the range limits and serial number. Does that work? Then try deleting the resolution from the extension block.
10-31-2020, 08:58 PM
(10-31-2020 05:39 PM)andres.espinal Wrote:  I have a Samsung c27fg70 which I can´t set at 144 Hz because of a defective firmware https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad4emOwpFEI.

Could this software help me? I'm trying it, no luck so far, can I do something?
Does that still happen with FreeSync disabled?
10-31-2020, 10:15 PM (Last edited: 10-31-2020, 10:21 PM by botounacruzeta)
(10-31-2020 08:57 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Don't import anything. Just run reset-all.exe and restart. Then enable the range limits and serial number. Does that work? Then try deleting the resolution from the extension block.

I've tried this.

If I run:
-reset-all.exe;
-restart GPU;
-only enable the range limits and serial number in CRU;
-restart GPU;

Then NVCPL doesn't work.

I noticed something in CRU I don't understand: it shows the monitor two times. (see attached picture, that corresponds to clean default settings). I don't know if it's due to GSYNC module, or if it's normal for every monitor. (There's only one monitor plugged to my PC).

Anyway, I tried to enable and disable the range limits and serial number also for this "second" monitor, but it doesn't help.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-31-2020, 11:06 PM
(10-31-2020 08:58 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-31-2020 05:39 PM)andres.espinal Wrote:  I have a Samsung c27fg70 which I can´t set at 144 Hz because of a defective firmware https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad4emOwpFEI.

Could this software help me? I'm trying it, no luck so far, can I do something?
Does that still happen with FreeSync disabled?

Yes it happens with freesync disabled.
10-31-2020, 11:34 PM
(10-31-2020 10:15 PM)botounacruzeta Wrote:  I noticed something in CRU I don't understand: it shows the monitor two times. (see attached picture, that corresponds to clean default settings). I don't know if it's due to GSYNC module, or if it's normal for every monitor. (There's only one monitor plugged to my PC).
That's not a problem. That's added by Microsoft's Basic Display Adapter driver when NVIDIA's driver is restarted. It has no effect on the active monitor.

Try installing this:

.inf  test.inf (Size: 1.9 KB / Downloads: 320)

That's the CRU-exported settings with one minor change. Don't import with CRU because it will revert the change.
10-31-2020, 11:49 PM
(10-31-2020 11:06 PM)andres.espinal Wrote:  Yes it happens with freesync disabled.
Honestly, I would bug Samsung to replace it until they fix the problem because it should just work. If you want to play around with CRU, try editing the 144 Hz detailed resolution and try the different timing options.
10-31-2020, 11:58 PM
(10-31-2020 11:49 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-31-2020 11:06 PM)andres.espinal Wrote:  Yes it happens with freesync disabled.
Honestly, I would bug Samsung to replace it until they fix the problem because it should just work. If you want to play around with CRU, try editing the 144 Hz detailed resolution and try the different timing options.

true, where how can I know the correct timings?
11-01-2020, 12:13 AM
(10-31-2020 11:58 PM)andres.espinal Wrote:  true, where how can I know the correct timings?
You have to try them and see what happens.
11-01-2020, 12:23 AM
(10-31-2020 11:34 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-31-2020 10:15 PM)botounacruzeta Wrote:  I noticed something in CRU I don't understand: it shows the monitor two times. (see attached picture, that corresponds to clean default settings). I don't know if it's due to GSYNC module, or if it's normal for every monitor. (There's only one monitor plugged to my PC).
That's not a problem. That's added by Microsoft's Basic Display Adapter driver when NVIDIA's driver is restarted. It has no effect on the active monitor.

Try installing this:

That's the CRU-exported settings with one minor change. Don't import with CRU because it will revert the change.

I've run reset-all, restarted the GPU, and installed test.inf.

Then NVCPL did not work.

After I restarted GPU, NVCPL still didn't work.

In the attached image, I show how CRU and Dev manager displayed things after test.inf is properly loaded.

Note: I installed INF file using Windows only, and updated Monitor driver using Device Manager. I only opened CRU to show you how it displays things after inf is loaded.