Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-17-2020, 09:42 AM (Last edited: 12-17-2020, 11:55 AM by ship1666)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(12-17-2020 02:18 AM)ship1666 Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 07:49 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 07:28 AM)ship1666 Wrote:  I attach the adaptor picture here. I use three of them connecting to my RTX3080, it is just a normal cheap adaptor.

I am also curious that the problem comes from the adaptors. Therefore, I am looking forward to get two 2.1 hdmi to testing two screens surround (my GPU has only 2 hdmi ports) If it works, it means the problem comes from adaptors right? If it work, I plan to use 2 hdmi port and 1 display port to run triple screens. Therefore, I have to find one more reliable adaptor.

From your experience, can you suggest the adaptor (display port to hdmi) that works with NV surround? I find one from Club3d (display port to 2.1 hdmi). I am not sure it is gonna work or not.
That looks like a passive adapter. The problem isn't the adapter itself, but the GPU might have a limitation that won't allow Surround to work with three screens with passive adapters, although I can't find any information about such a limitation with NVIDIA cards. I know AMD cards have such a limitation with Eyefinity. Passive adapters also won't allow the full HDMI 2.1 bandwidth. The Club3D adapter should work since it's an active adapter.

Hi ToastyX

In my case, do you think I need 3 active adaptors DP to HDMI, or just 1 active adaptor and 2 HDMI cables? Which way is gonna be work with NV surround.

Thank you, ToastyX
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2020, 10:18 AM
(12-14-2020 05:52 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 11:30 AM)Aidorin Wrote:  Yes, the LG CX has a VRR range of 40-120. But, from what I have understood so far, what I should do is to reduce that range, not to 'expand' it (as you said). And yes, the LG CX also has a BFI system, but it reduces the brightness and image quality, and as you correctly said, the VRR cannot be used at the same time as the BFI.

What I thought that perhaps could be achieved with those ideas that come out in the Reddit post that I put and your CRU program, is that Nvidia's LFC maybe would do something similar to what the BFI does, and it would eliminate the motion blur but without loss of brightness and quality.

Well, it is a bit difficult to speculate about all this, because this are techniques that I do not quite understand how they work, so speculation is even more difficult. Perhaps it would be best to start testing and see the results, although I'm not sure where I should start. With a 90-120 range custom VRR?
Reducing the range to 90-120 would cause frame doubling at 45-60, which you said you were trying to avoid. If the range is 40-120, then it's only doing frame doubling below 40 FPS. Either way, that's not going to affect motion blur. The link was talking about brightness flickering and overdrive artifacts causing ghosting, not motion blur. BFI is the only way to reduce motion blur.

Ok. So I will get used to that motion blur, It is not a major issue. Thanks once more!
12-17-2020, 11:28 AM (Last edited: 12-17-2020, 01:15 PM by jarkid)
Dear ToastyX,

I have been using CRU, and I think it's an excellent tool, because it've helped me to resolve a persecution.

After that, I still have a question that I hope you could help to answer.

I've encountered an issue few weeks ago that when my monitor is set to 75 Hz refresh rate in default, the whole screen flickers(like a lightning within a second) sometimes with BlueStacks running a specific game(In other situations, it's fine).

I have tried different ways to solve this issue including re-installing Windows, drivers, different AMD settings, and even changing a new HDMI cable, it's all useless.

The only way making an impact is to set the screen to 60 Hz, it's okay without flickering. I was thinking the 75 Hz is unstable because the refresh rate is from overclocking.

Then I used CRU to create a setting of 70 Hz(lower RR for trial) with LCD Standard, it's so fine like the setting of 60 Hz. Then I created another "76" Hz with LCD Standard to try. What surprised me is that it's also fine like other good settings.

So I was wondering what happened to the default setting of 75hz?

Then I used CRU to check the setting of 75 Hz out, it showed me that the 75 Hz uses "LCD reduced" setting, and the setting of 60 Hz uses "LCD Standard". So I think this is the cause.

Because when I use the LCD Standard, the screen wouldn't flicker. But when I use LCD reduced, the screen would flicker sometimes.

Could you please tell me
1. What's the probable reason that "LCD reduced" would make my screen to flicker?
2. Why does the default setting of 75 Hz use "LCD reduced" as I see in CRU? It's made by Windows or my monitor manufacturer?
Thanks a lot !!!

My screen: Philips 221V8A
My CPU: R5 5600X
My GPU: ASUS ROG RX 570 4GB

the good setting: https://i.imgur.com/q9gDoBB.png
the setting with issue: https://i.imgur.com/tGq7x0v.png
12-17-2020, 02:18 PM
(12-16-2020 07:56 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 03:24 PM)mathieulhe Wrote:  Hi, I have tried your file and it works great at 4k 12bits 120fps, but as soon as I apply the file in CRU and run reset64, the "enable g-sync" option from the nvidia control panel disappears, almost as if the gpu driver does not detect the display as g-sync compatible.
The other EDID didn't have VRR defined, so maybe it was disabled.

Try this:

So, I did some more extended tests on the EDID profile you shared, although it does work properly, if I go to the hidden hdmi diagnostic menu on the LG CX, using the new EDID, even at 2160p 10 bit 120hz (using 4*10gbps lanes as if I was using the original EDID), I get a lot of PHY errors in the hdmi data stream compared to when using the default EDID, did you do anything other than incrementing the FRL?

P.S. I did check, when selecting 10 bit instead of 12 using the new vrr EDID, it does sync using 4*10gbps lanes (it doesn't just send 10gbps in a 12gbps lane), changing to 12 bits syncs to 4*12gbps lanes, so technically the sync bandwidth should be identical when using 2160p 10 bit 120hz on the original and modified EDID, so I don't understand why the modified one causes additional errors in the hdmi stream.
12-17-2020, 04:09 PM
(12-17-2020 02:18 PM)mathieulhe Wrote:  So, I did some more extended tests on the EDID profile you shared, although it does work properly, if I go to the hidden hdmi diagnostic menu on the LG CX, using the new EDID, even at 2160p 10 bit 120hz (using 4*10gbps lanes as if I was using the original EDID), I get a lot of PHY errors in the hdmi data stream compared to when using the default EDID, did you do anything other than incrementing the FRL?
I only changed the maximum FRL rate. CRU also doesn't include the range limits by default except with FreeSync monitors, but that doesn't affect any functionality. HDMI 2.1 VRR is in the HDMI 2.x data block.
12-17-2020, 04:10 PM
(12-17-2020 11:28 AM)jarkid Wrote:  Could you please tell me
1. What's the probable reason that "LCD reduced" would make my screen to flicker?
2. Why does the default setting of 75 Hz use "LCD reduced" as I see in CRU? It's made by Windows or my monitor manufacturer?
Thanks a lot !!!
Your "good" timing parameters match "LCD native", not "LCD standard". The default timing parameters match "LCD standard", not "LCD reduced". The default timing parameters are set by the monitor's manufacturer in the monitor's EDID, which is what CRU shows. If the monitor can't handle the default timing parameters, then that's a monitor fault. It might be an issue with FreeSync not working correctly.
12-17-2020, 06:50 PM
Hi toastyx,

I capture these shots from my TVs hdmi diagnostics screen after using the lg_cx_48Gbps.dat

https://ibb.co/myQGkTw

https://ibb.co/QpHympm

Any idea what they mean?

Should i be worried about the error count?
12-18-2020, 01:30 AM
(12-17-2020 04:10 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-17-2020 11:28 AM)jarkid Wrote:  Could you please tell me
Thanks a lot !!!
Your "good" timing parameters match "LCD native", not "LCD standard". The default timing parameters match "LCD standard", not "LCD reduced". The default timing parameters are set by the monitor's manufacturer in the monitor's EDID, which is what CRU shows. If the monitor can't handle the default timing parameters, then that's a monitor fault. It might be an issue with FreeSync not working correctly.

Dear ToastyX,

I appreciate you very much.

So my default timing parameters for 60 Hz is "LCD native", and the other(75 Hz) is "LCD standard".

Then could you figure out that

1. Why does the manufacturer use different timing parameters for 60/75 Hz? or in fact, the most common parameters for 75 Hz or higher refresh rates is "LCD standard"?
2. Why is "LCD native" 75Hz good compared to "LCD standard" 75Hz? Or is that because my video card can't handle "LCD Standard" 75hz well?

I turned off the FreeSync in the AMD software for the specified application, but the flickering had still existed. so I can't tell if that was caused by FreeSync.( My monitor's OSD menu doesn't have FreeSync, but it supports that in the spec.)
12-18-2020, 02:56 AM
(12-18-2020 01:30 AM)jarkid Wrote:  So my default timing parameters for 60 Hz is "LCD native", and the other(75 Hz) is "LCD standard".

Then could you figure out that

1. Why does the manufacturer use different timing parameters for 60/75 Hz? or in fact, the most common parameters for 75 Hz or higher refresh rates is "LCD standard"?
2. Why is "LCD native" 75Hz good compared to "LCD standard" 75Hz? Or is that because my video card can't handle "LCD Standard" 75hz well?
"LCD native" is the same as "LCD standard" at 60 Hz. Both 60 Hz and 75 Hz are using standard timing parameters by default. The problem is the monitor. It should have no problem handling the default timing parameters. There's really no reason for "LCD native" to work better. That actually uses more bandwidth, so it's not a signal quality problem.
12-18-2020, 03:00 AM
(12-17-2020 09:42 AM)ship1666 Wrote:  
(12-17-2020 02:18 AM)ship1666 Wrote:  [quote='ToastyX' pid='11468' dateline='1608148176']
[quote='ship1666' pid='11461' dateline='1608103716']
I attach the adaptor picture here. I use three of them connecting to my RTX3080, it is just a normal cheap adaptor.

I am also curious that the problem comes from the adaptors. Therefore, I am looking forward to get two 2.1 hdmi to testing two screens surround (my GPU has only 2 hdmi ports) If it works, it means the problem comes from adaptors right? If it work, I plan to use 2 hdmi port and 1 display port to run triple screens. Therefore, I have to find one more reliable adaptor.

From your experience, can you suggest the adaptor (display port to hdmi) that works with NV surround? I find one from Club3d (display port to 2.1 hdmi). I am not sure it is gonna work or not.
That looks like a passive adapter. The problem isn't the adapter itself, but the GPU might have a limitation that won't allow Surround to work with three screens with passive adapters, although I can't find any information about such a limitation with NVIDIA cards. I know AMD cards have such a limitation with Eyefinity. Passive adapters also won't allow the full HDMI 2.1 bandwidth. The Club3D adapter should work since it's an active adapter.

Hi ToastyX

In my case, do you think I need 3 active adaptors DP to HDMI, or just 1 active adaptor and 2 HDMI cables? Which way is gonna be work with NV surround.

Thank you, ToastyX